Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Where did you see a hole on the base of the grenade body?

attachment.php

I think that's a set screw but I can't be sure if it's paint chips or my eyes.

Attachments

• Maybesetscrew.jpg
    Maybesetscrew.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 2,095
Thanks for that. If you see anything else, please keep the info coming.

Let's make sure it's right, first.:p
@BAlinger15 - How many holes/set screws are in the saber and where are they exactly?

Also, if the pommel is free moving, then I guess this wouldn't matter, but if it's stationary, the hole should be above the cube on right of the d-ring holes. If we're going off how it looks like in this:

attachment.php

Last edited:
View attachment 472377View attachment 472378View attachment 472379View attachment 472380

Here are a couple comparison shots

So, here's how I developed this model.
I took my 3d model of the stunt saber (which was made from dimensions of an original ANH metal stunt casting) and I skimmed off about a quarter of a millimeter off the bottom, with the idea that what most likely happened was that they took the stunt casting and cleaned it up on a lathe. I then removed a little bit from the grip ridges to even them out a bit, with the idea that in the clean up, they most likely would have taken a standard size lathe tool and taken a bit off the grip ridges to remove the seam and as a result made the grips look a little more even. But I kept the constraints of the cleanup within the bounds of the original casting.

Given that Brandon thinks the pommel and emitter were machined from new stock, I drew up new models based off of the stunt saber, but with a bit more symmetry to them, trying to match the pictures as closely as I could.

Let me know what you guys think.

Dan, I think these are excellent. Any oddities I saw were just tricks of the eye from positioning. At first I thought the nipple was too wide and flat, but from a different orientation it looks spot on. You even got the rounded edge at the bottom of the booster section, nice work!

And I suppose there's no chance Mr. Allinger could provide some helpful pics even just privately, to ensure an accurate replica?

There looks like there might be two holes above the clamp before the first grip notch. I could just be seeing things.

my model clocks in at 29.04cm (with the nipple)

The original shared stunt is 27.8cm

- - - Updated - - -
As to the holes above the clamp.
I think I see them too. But, I think I'll leave them off the model and people can always add the holes later if they want

Last edited:
I'm just shooting in the dark, but if they are there, they'd probably be similar set screws to the emitter nipple.

This is is hard, imagine the chamber inside - with a threaded mount for the motor, that would totally change the weight, as well as the moving parts. If I were doing this, I'd wait for more construction details. I think visually we (or you, Dan) have this down to 99% accuracy.

Ok.

NOOB (to the V2) question...

What paint do I need to paint the aluminum to get it to scrape off & weather like this?

Also, I'm hearing toothpicks & aluminum foil are the best tools for the scraping?

If you apply your paint and wait just enough until it settles, you can use a rolled up length of Gorilla tape and give it some firm taps to remove the paint.

This gives pretty convincing weathering results:

igcJkdn.jpg

r9o2K4R.jpg

Ok.

NOOB (to the V2) question...

What paint do I need to paint the aluminum to get it to scrape off & weather like this?

Also, I'm hearing toothpicks & aluminum foil are the best tools for the scraping?

If you apply your paint and wait just enough until it settles, you can use a rolled up length of Gorilla tape and give it some firm taps to remove the paint.

This gives pretty convincing weathering results:

http://i.imgur.com/igcJkdn.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/r9o2K4R.jpg

Or you can do it "for real". That's what I did.

Painted my Russ V2 black, threw it in a bucket with other metal bits and bobs, shook it up, used various hand tools to scrape off the certain areas (if you're using enamels, I found a good trick where if you wet your hands and just handle the saber, it'll scrape off tiny little flakes), rolled/dropped/kicked it around on the ground, and touched up areas with a q-tip and some more black enamel. Season to taste.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back