Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

sandbagger

Master Member
Builds By Baz (Sandbagger) Steel MkIV Iron Man suit.

*******Updated EDIT: I've now finished my THIRD Iron Man suit in FULL STEEL.

Suit one - fibreglass bondo
aIIGKGD.jpg

WXs0Ctu.jpg

Suit two - cardboard

2fkjVTU.jpg

Suit three - STEEL

fam5VNf.jpg

WW09LTE.jpg

PjCsE8d.jpg

931IyIr.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Bazza's Iron-Man suit build

Looks great! What files are you using and have you tried on the cod? I'm doing my first build and need to see how it should fit with nothing else on.

Looks great! What files are you using and have you tried on the cod? I'm doing my first build and need to see how it should fit with nothing else on.

I'm using Robo's MK IV pep and yes, I've tried it on, but have to cut one side to get it past my hip.

- - - Updated - - -

Something I should have done in the very beginning -

MAKE A TAPE DUMMY!

Fitting, modifying and adjusting the suit needs to be done accurately and doing it on my own body is darned near impossible.

With a tape dummy to my exact proportions, I can build and modify the whole suit on it and have it all fit together exactly, being sure that it will fit me when done.

I watched some U-tube tutorials by STEALTH on how to make this.

First a supporting frame has to be made out of PVC pipe. Then it's just a matter of putting on some thin clothes that you don't mind cutting up, tape up the sleeves, ankles and waist then get an assistant to wrap you up like a mummy in PVC Duct tape.

I couldn't believe how good it made my back feel... I might have to tape up my back every day before a start swinging the chainsaw at work!

Once covered from ankle to neck, then it's a matter of the assistant cutting the silver suit off - just enough to wriggle out of it, which can be slow and tedious, but taking your time is key.

Next insert the skeleton support and start to tape up the cuts, leaving the torso open until last. Stuff the whole suit with newspaper, rags, sheets, foam or whatever you have and pack it right out. The tape won't stretch beyond how it was while you were wearing it, so your form is retained.

I've run out of tape (used three rolls of 30 metres) so I'll have to pick up another roll tomorrow and stuff the suit as soon as possible.

This is going down as one of the top few weirdest things I've done.....

xOR5bJT.jpg

ilgb69N.jpg

4OZHUTC.jpg

l8wrHNh.jpg

i8X0YLP.jpg

Left thigh assembled. This one was a little more difficult than I expected. For such a large piece it is made of an incredible amount of small parts. Very fiddly cutting and folding on this one.

This is the first part I've made that came with braces to go inside it for shaping. This way I can harden it then cut the braces out and it will retain the correct shape.

I tried it on my leg and it fits perfectly, even allowing for thick and loose tracksuit pants, later to be replaced by bicycle long-johns and the padding inside the armour.

lBLuxnk.jpg

36aysnK.jpg

I just laid the cod on the floor with the thigh under it and hip-pod attached to check for scale. Looks ok so far.

FSe1cru.jpg

COuccGq.jpg

Dang, that is a super clean pep. I always seem to have trouble pepping the circular pieces like the hip pods and ears. Any tips for getting it that clean?

I use an engineers ruler to make my folds by lining the fold up with the edge then pressing along the fold with my thumb. I'm using PVA wood glue which goes tacky pretty quickly, allows for a little bit of precise re-positioning then dries fast!

Oh my days - that hip pod - Brilliant pep skills there, so small but so hard to pep

Oh my days - that hip pod - Brilliant pep skills there, so small but so hard to pep

Thanks champ.

Checking for fit. By the time I get the inside fibreglassed and padded, then the undersuit - there won't be much room left in there. Should be a snug fit.

ZUr5c6w.jpg

ctaU87s.jpg

I spent a few hours immersed in toxic organic fumes today in the shed, while sleet and snow outside kept the resin temperatures low.

I painted the inside and outside of thigh and shin with resin, then bit at a time - poured in the slush-cast.

One thing I would do in future, is tape the knee joint together before doing anything. I was lucky that the slush-cast was still a bit pliable so I could bend and squeeze the knee together then tape them in place while it sets properly. Before I line the inside with fibreglass matt, I will do the same again.
JcUpII0.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back