Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Thanks guys.

Fixed the broken winding cable mechanism.

Apart from adjusting the sound effect itself via code, everything else now works. The micro-switch at my chin is the actuator for face-plate up/down relays. It has a small plastic straw trimmed and tuned to the right length for my chin to activate it with a deliberate facial gesture.

As the face-plate locates in the down position, two other micro-switches activate the camera, video glasses inside the face plate, the illumination in the eyes and the ground wire to switch on the microphone. Tripping the chin micro a second time reverses the geared motor in the helmet, raising the face plate and breaking the circuit on everything else.

<span data-offset-key="3186g-0-0" style="font-family: inherit;">

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Here I have a protective transport case for the Iron Man helmet with some interesting history. This case was given to me by a friend who's father was a war correspondent in the Vietnam war. This was his camera case he carried during the conflict. I've just finished restoring it a bit and making it ready to keep the helmet in.

lmEYiKy.jpg

Having a reshuffle. Using velcro tabs to secure and route loose wiring.

EHa43z0.jpg

ST-Link velcro'd in position for easy access to plug the computer into the suit and change parameters in code without having to pull everything out of the suit. It's just inside under the edge of the breast plate, and though visible from the side, it doesn't look out of place.

KFifLWE.jpg

Interrupted the ground wire for the voice changer with a second switch from the 12V battery. This way I can switch the arc reactor and the VC on and off separately AFTER suiting up. Used a standard old household light switch.

UvdypCp.jpg

UvdypCp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of ran out of things I can do on the suit last night. Got to get a couple more things when business resumes after Easter. In the meantime, I thought it might be fun to chop up my wife's vinyl makeup bag and paint it up to cover the surf brand in the middle of the wetsuit chest.

LgEqOgp.jpg

All painted up. Will attach with velcro so I can wash the suit without destroying the art.

Dnxq6eT.jpg

Wifey is sewing up balaclava and gloves in metallic lycra to hide the gaps between armour sections. Balaclava will also pin my ears flat, making it far less painful getting the helmet on and off.

VAgIja3.jpg

Both gloves done and perfect fit! I'm a lucky man to not only have a wife who puts up with my crazy projects, but puts her talent and time into helping me with them!

LyiV75Q.jpg

dnfxPvp.jpg

Now worn under the gauntlet armour, all exposed skin is covered, adding to the illusion of a full metal gauntlet, while maintaining maximum flexibility and range of motion.

8xeZcl2.jpg

GirBjP0.jpg

ChDDu4M.jpg

I feel kinda funky posting this. Gimp funky. This is the kind of cringe-worthy stuff that is making me fear going to my first Comicon and encountering grown adults dressed in full-body lycra. Just having it on my head makes me want to shudder. The things we do for the kids hey? Anyway my skilled wifey spent all day sewing this stuff for me. The ears are flattened against my head so they wont get caught on the steel helmet and the shiny material will cover the gap between the neck and the helmet. Functional.
Cue the clever comments.....

Keep it clean there are kids on these forums.

Q1Ora2d.jpg

XQdeaNu.jpg

Yeah not sure I understand the question either. A bit vague dude.

Anyway's... Update:

To transport the suit safely I thought I'd make some shipping boxes out of wood. I got as far as the largest one for the legs, then gave it away as excessively expensive and time-consuming. Not to mention my joinery is crap.

I'll finish the leg box and the rest I bought for a fraction of the cost, INCLUDING a matching 250kg trolley!

4TudmcQ.jpg

vP93Qsj.jpg

3HBePCm.jpg

All tooling for suit-up and emergency repairs.

3s9AqxD.jpg

LTB9gX7.jpg

Bits of the suit in boxes.

eIGzG9y.jpg

y1j1E2B.jpg

mfYK9sU.jpg

This box is a little large for the remaining bits, but I think once the wetsuit is in there wont be masses of room left. All i have to do now is finish that custom wooden box for the legs.

I'll see if I can re-shuffle once the packaging is sorted out, then I might be able to return one box for a refund.

tuFnSbI.jpg

There will be photos and vid of the event right from suit up yes.

Big day today. Finished the box for the legs.

rkkwIiW.jpg

My friend James sent me a picture letting me know the repulsor tech was finished. He's been slaving all day on them. Guess who got in his car and sped to the other side of Canberra tonight?

Ephq9kV.jpg

Here he is hard at it connecting repulsor tech.

p3UCZ5g.jpg

NIsQrrt.jpg

Ready for a full test. Videos next post.

uQ0KAyb.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back