Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Trial fit some 5mm foam padding with a bit of hack and slash while in the helmet. It's a little snug, especially on the extremes of the zygomatic bones - so now I have it all worked out in shapes I can trace it onto 2mm foam and fit that in with nicer cut edges.

vZ2MhPi.jpg

c2SN9dL.jpg

TQtBWyW.jpg

Brainstorming in the shed tonight but my brain wasn't cooperating much. Still, after a sit down and a few uppercuts, I managed to get the grey matter to work for a living.

1. Experimenting and making a DIY linear actuator for the helmet face plate.

z60Ilbb.jpg

2. Building tiny mounting plates for micro switches.

GCmCoNj.jpg

3. Micro switch mounted on the upstroke hinge. I've made them adjustable so I can tune their height once the actuator is connected.

uGzALz6.jpg

4. Micro switch mounted under the downward faceplate hinge. This bracket will be re-made as one piece. I had to make it in two for prototyping to get the angles right.

u0YA9Ru.jpg

5. The plotting continues. Linear actuation concept drawing. How to attach the actuator to the hinge.

NXjB8tR.jpg

Attachments

• z60Ilbb.jpg
    z60Ilbb.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 55
  • uGzALz6.jpg
    uGzALz6.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 50
  • uGzALz6.jpg
    uGzALz6.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 53
  • uGzALz6.jpg
    uGzALz6.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 43
  • GCmCoNj.jpg
    GCmCoNj.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 57
  • GCmCoNj.jpg
    GCmCoNj.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 50
  • GCmCoNj.jpg
    GCmCoNj.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 49
  • GCmCoNj.jpg
    GCmCoNj.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 56
  • z60Ilbb.jpg
    z60Ilbb.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 55
  • z60Ilbb.jpg
    z60Ilbb.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 53
  • z60Ilbb.jpg
    z60Ilbb.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 49
  • NXjB8tR.jpg
    NXjB8tR.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 55
  • NXjB8tR.jpg
    NXjB8tR.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 46
  • NXjB8tR.jpg
    NXjB8tR.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 56
  • NXjB8tR.jpg
    NXjB8tR.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 53
  • u0YA9Ru.jpg
    u0YA9Ru.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 57
  • u0YA9Ru.jpg
    u0YA9Ru.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 49
  • uGzALz6.jpg
    uGzALz6.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 51
  • u0YA9Ru.jpg
    u0YA9Ru.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 50
  • u0YA9Ru.jpg
    u0YA9Ru.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw the title I thought for sure you were kidding about the steel part but no you really are that much of a badass you are making a iron man suit of steel I agree with stigmorgan on this one mind officially blown keep it up mate

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk

When I saw the title I thought for sure you were kidding about the steel part but no you really are that much of a badass you are making a iron man suit of steel I agree with @stigmorgan on this one mind officially blown keep it up mate

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk

Thanks mate. :D

Update:

For the under armour tech around the arm and shoulder - a few bits and bobs from around the shed plus a small internal compression spring from Bunnings and a shocky magically appears.

Now to make fifteen more.

4xbQisP.jpg

FPI5XsD.jpg

tBqI3Gb.jpg

Also bought a fish-weighing scale for fifteen bucks to measure the force on the faceplate hinges. Will help me calculate the strength of motor needed to drive my linear actuator.

2x8yqHh.jpg

Thanks mate. :D

Update:

For the under armour tech around the arm and shoulder - a few bits and bobs from around the shed plus a small internal compression spring from Bunnings and a shocky magically appears.

Now to make fifteen more.

http://i.imgur.com/4xbQisP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FPI5XsD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tBqI3Gb.jpg

Also bought a fish-weighing scale for fifteen bucks to measure the force on the faceplate hinges. Will help me calculate the strength of motor needed to drive my linear actuator.

http://i.imgur.com/2x8yqHh.jpg
I wish you luck mate hope it works out for you it'll be awesome to see

Gus

can I just say how cool it is to see something like this being made from my files all these years later?

awesome stuff dude...

Can I just say how awesome it is to have Robo3687 comment on my build!!! Mate, I am not sure if you are aware of just how much your work has the capacity to change lives. From the first time I put paper to printer and ran off your files, life has taken me in some strange and wonderful places as a result!

I hope you can share in the satisfaction with me the day I walk into the first children's hospital ward wearing this and watch the kids EXPLODE with excitement.

God bless you and all your fellow pep developers mate. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

SB

I'll admit I haven't been present over here for a long time (will be coming back more regularly now since I'm neck deep in a Kylo Ren build), so it's kind of overwhelming to see how much continued use there is of my stuff. It's really kind of cool that it's lasted this long.

Your files are still amongst the most popular I believe. I'm using them now for my build and it's pretty straight forward to work with for a beginner.

It has to be said that alot of imagination is being put in this steel build. Just to make sure it's wearable and functional. Hats off

Thanks dudes. Brand I have seen that before and I will be referencing back to it a lot to get this to work. Cheers!

SB

- - - Updated - - -

Worked out a rough linear actuator for the faceplate hinges with more junk laying around in the workshop. It works good enough for the bush as they say.

Now to make a prettier, more slim-line one. I can find threads three times as aggressive and thus move the hinge a lot faster but you get the idea.

I've measured the pull on the hinges now and it's around 2.1kg. All I have to do is find a motor small enough, strong enough and fast enough to turn the chosen thread. There's a bit of physics involved trying to work out torque required and the speed needed to pull and push the nut the required travel, but I'm sure a boffin will step forward and assist where my brain chooses to exit the aircraft.

Q9FKrlt.jpg

pjwPDe8.jpg

Attachments

• pjwPDe8.jpg
    pjwPDe8.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 49
  • pjwPDe8.jpg
    pjwPDe8.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 54
  • pjwPDe8.jpg
    pjwPDe8.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 56
  • pjwPDe8.jpg
    pjwPDe8.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Q9FKrlt.jpg
    Q9FKrlt.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Q9FKrlt.jpg
    Q9FKrlt.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Q9FKrlt.jpg
    Q9FKrlt.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Q9FKrlt.jpg
    Q9FKrlt.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 51
G'day gang.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to do much on the suit the last few days. I'm just bloody exhausted.

My work shifts and baby duties at home are not very Iron man friendly most of the time. I'll try to get some more done during my break at the end of next week. (If you could call it a break...)

I threw it back together today with all the work so far and took a few motivational shots for your entertainment and my focus.

KX7NsCI.jpg

U8LfYwP.jpg

TUotu8w.jpg

I took some time this morning to design a better actuator for the faceplate, based on suggestions from my anonymous engineering benefactor. I have the motors now and he has the gears, We have some bench testing to do then fabricate it. This morning he and I fabricated new hinges of aircraft-grade aluminium.

We've done the maths on the torque required under this new system, which equals a much less powerful motor. No gearbox required now.

All we have to do is regulate speed with either a resistor or PCB control. We'll work that out in the bench-testing phase.

wwD8nz9.jpg

MdLGO6G.jpg

GENIUS!! Thanks to Dan, AKA, "Dakiller" on the Overclockers Australia forum who drew a line on a photo of my circuit board and told me to cut it. Problem solved!!! Arc reactor now powers up and STAYS ON. Touch feature disabled. Done and dusted!

You sir, are a GENIUS! Finding it was so hard, but doing it was so simple!

I know a lot of kids are not going to be disappointed by Iron man's reactor switching off half way through a hospital visit.

So happy!

Baz.

SNJoVoV.jpg

owMhjjE.jpg

RZ1imZB.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back