Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Bad day today. Last of my four days rostered off shift and I've had stuff-all time in the shed.

Today, total brain fart. I think I'm burnt out. I've been standing in my shed at the work bench for two hours trying to brainstorm a series of problems/challenges and have walked away without a single solution.

There's been more than once I've felt like throwing my hands up in the air and giving up on this whole thing. A great project can be so let down by one or two parts. Striving for perfection in looks and functionality is doing my head in.

Just a bleat for a change. Don't try these things at home kids... they're not easy.

SB,if there is anyone capable of finishing this astonishing project,it has to be you.Besides,you already came this far.
Perhaps what you need is a break (a car needs to stop for fuel at some point).Don't fear it to be permanent; how could that be? You're creative.You can't just undo something that is part of you,so it has to resurface at some point.
If you don't know what to do anymore,focus on something or someone else for a bit,like your family or your passion for space.What better opportunity to find inspiration (again)?
Besides,we're not going anywhere :D

Thanks man. I thought I'd crack on with some other bits so at least I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Faceplate Camera. A little panel-beating between the eyes, a backfill and primed the edge of the camera with a toothpick under a magnifying glass. Once the paint goes on the hole will be a snug fit for the camera. With a gold paint job and some gold film over the camera lens it should be pretty good.

jb46JaP.jpg

Ug8zY0O.jpg

Shoulder bell. First layer of bog and primer filler. Getting pretty good at this panel beating gig.

FaadkwE.jpg

Not happy with my aluminium gauntlets. They are just too bulky and hard to get on and off. More prototyping in cardboard to improve finger dexterity. I'm scratch-building these because all the pep files that look great need too much adjusting anyway to fit my very broad, flat hands. Once I'm happy I'll make them out of steel sheet as per the rest of the suit. Instead of whipper-snipper cord on the outside I'll be using bike cable on the inside.

6X34UCz.jpg

HOS2VHc.jpg

Attachments

• jb46JaP.jpg
    jb46JaP.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 42
  • jb46JaP.jpg
    jb46JaP.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 41
  • jb46JaP.jpg
    jb46JaP.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 46
  • jb46JaP.jpg
    jb46JaP.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 48
  • FaadkwE.jpg
    FaadkwE.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 6X34UCz.jpg
    6X34UCz.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 6X34UCz.jpg
    6X34UCz.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 6X34UCz.jpg
    6X34UCz.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 6X34UCz.jpg
    6X34UCz.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 46
  • FaadkwE.jpg
    FaadkwE.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 45
  • FaadkwE.jpg
    FaadkwE.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 46
  • FaadkwE.jpg
    FaadkwE.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Ug8zY0O.jpg
    Ug8zY0O.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Ug8zY0O.jpg
    Ug8zY0O.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Ug8zY0O.jpg
    Ug8zY0O.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Ug8zY0O.jpg
    Ug8zY0O.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 46
  • HOS2VHc.jpg
    HOS2VHc.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 44
  • HOS2VHc.jpg
    HOS2VHc.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 39
  • HOS2VHc.jpg
    HOS2VHc.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 44
  • HOS2VHc.jpg
    HOS2VHc.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Great update! There's so much stuff on this suit that needs to be resolved that, sometimes, it seems overwhelming. Keep up the great job!

Thanks mate.

Update:

Re-designing fingers in steel this time.

For the curved underside of the fingers, rather than try to beat the steel into a curve over a round bar, I found a thick walled pipe to make a die to squish the plate into shape with the round bar.

HaLcCwC.jpg

Pressing the three together in the vice.

1ZUyFiT.jpg

Presto!

GG4Ozhj.jpg

Using the curved bit just made and adding some flats and angles, I welded up a finger as one piece.

i7tRuq7.jpg

Finger joints marked for cutting.

HVu1lC7.jpg

dAX3b5x.jpg

Knuckle pivot welded in.

VKopvxi.jpg

Hands down this has got to be the most difficult part of the suit. (See what I did there? ;)

I really want to be able to grab things, shake hands etc and all the gauntlets I have seen and tried have severe range of motion limitations.

So, it was decision time again to perhaps for-go a little movie accuracy for function.

Steel is so versatile in that it can be beaten into curves and shapes that can ball-pivot inside other plates of armour. With this in mind I have designed a gauntlet that can fold along the crease inside the palm, plus let the heel of the thumb roll in to oppose the fingers.

Cardboard and hot glue does the trick. Looks a little rough, but this is the part where you nut out all the challenges and come up with solutions. It's going very well.

2yYPCLJ.jpg

S2wjFs0.jpg

jaWiIoQ.jpg

ilNPv7V.jpg

5btCHog.jpg

dW78fjk.jpg

Attachments

• 2yYPCLJ.jpg
    2yYPCLJ.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 2yYPCLJ.jpg
    2yYPCLJ.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 2yYPCLJ.jpg
    2yYPCLJ.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 2yYPCLJ.jpg
    2yYPCLJ.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 44
  • ilNPv7V.jpg
    ilNPv7V.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 45
  • ilNPv7V.jpg
    ilNPv7V.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 44
  • jaWiIoQ.jpg
    jaWiIoQ.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 42
  • jaWiIoQ.jpg
    jaWiIoQ.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 43
  • jaWiIoQ.jpg
    jaWiIoQ.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 42
  • jaWiIoQ.jpg
    jaWiIoQ.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 49
  • S2wjFs0.jpg
    S2wjFs0.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 45
  • S2wjFs0.jpg
    S2wjFs0.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 43
  • S2wjFs0.jpg
    S2wjFs0.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 46
  • S2wjFs0.jpg
    S2wjFs0.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 48
  • dW78fjk.jpg
    dW78fjk.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 50
  • dW78fjk.jpg
    dW78fjk.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 46
  • dW78fjk.jpg
    dW78fjk.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 45
  • dW78fjk.jpg
    dW78fjk.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 5btCHog.jpg
    5btCHog.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 5btCHog.jpg
    5btCHog.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 5btCHog.jpg
    5btCHog.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 5btCHog.jpg
    5btCHog.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 42
  • ilNPv7V.jpg
    ilNPv7V.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 41
  • ilNPv7V.jpg
    ilNPv7V.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Hands down this has got to be the most difficult part of the suit. (See what I did there? ;)

I really want to be able to grab things, shake hands etc and all the gauntlets I have seen and tried have severe range of motion limitations.

So, it was decision time again to perhaps for-go a little movie accuracy for function.

Steel is so versatile in that it can be beaten into curves and shapes that can ball-pivot inside other plates of armour. With this in mind I have designed a gauntlet that can fold along the crease inside the palm, plus let the heel of the thumb roll in to oppose the fingers.

Cardboard and hot glue does the trick. Looks a little rough, but this is the part where you nut out all the challenges and come up with solutions. It's going very well.

http://i.imgur.com/2yYPCLJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/S2wjFs0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jaWiIoQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ilNPv7V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5btCHog.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dW78fjk.jpg

http://youtu.be/hsbiJM_TpTc
Hey SB to give you an idea. My build is based on full mobility and I found that if you check Ironman 2 the scene with the mk5 suitcase, where Tony gets suited up and the camera focuses on the left hand. The hand is open and then closes to a fist. Check out the palms movement. The lower palm is 4 separate pieces. Full range of motion in the lower palm. Now get to work and close the deal buddy...GM

Hey SB to give you an idea. My build is based on full mobility and I found that if you check Ironman 2 the scene with the mk5 suitcase, where Tony gets suited up and the camera focuses on the left hand. The hand is open and then closes to a fist. Check out the palms movement. The lower palm is 4 separate pieces. Full range of motion in the lower palm. Now get to work and close the deal buddy...GM

Just watched the slow-mo on it and freeze-frames.

yeah.... no. :p

Baz.

Oh crap I hope I didn't come off as an ass. That wasn't my intent SB. Did you mean that you don't see the mobility in the palm or that it can't be done. I don't currently have a working model, but I do have a working theory...GM

Oh crap I hope I didn't come off as an ass. That wasn't my intent SB. Did you mean that you don't see the mobility in the palm or that it can't be done. I don't currently have a working model, but I do have a working theory...GM

LOL! Not at all mate. :D I need to use more emoticons. My tongue-in-cheek needs work. I think your input is most excellent dude.

I too, see some ways to do it, but there's always a trade-off between skills, money, materials readily available and time. I think the portrayal in the movie is a long way from even multi-million dollar DARPA and the like from achieving it, let alone a hack like me with a grinder, hammer, welder and pair of tin-snips.

SB

LOL! Not at all mate. :D I need to use more emoticons. My tongue-in-cheek needs work. I think your input is most excellent dude.

I too, see some ways to do it, but there's always a trade-off between skills, money, materials readily available and time. I think the portrayal in the movie is a long way from even multi-million dollar DARPA and the like from achieving it, let alone a hack like me with a grinder, hammer, welder and pair of tin-snips.

SB
So you may consider a J.A.R.V.I.S.? [emoji12]

Sent from my Note 5 via TapaTalk

Grodd build: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=3914756

www.facebook.com/gorillagroddcosplay

House full of sick kids..... staying home today to help out the mrs.

What to do while stuck in the house? Learn how to become a tailor of course! Found some shiny metallic red stretch cloth to simulate the gauntlet under-armour. Instructables, youtube, you rock.

I cant take all the credit. I did all the trace and pin, wifey operated the sewing machine. Team effort!

Amazing what you can do in less than an hour.

The cut is comfortable and stretchy. Much like a second skin. It's very thin and strong and doesn't take up too much room under the armour. I was worried about using material that added too much bulk and restricting movement. Not a problem with this stuff. Only cost me $12 for the linear metre off the roll.

o4AL3rX.jpg

wmctnyb.jpg

G9whWho.jpg

Rkxwray.jpg

Krfnf8N.jpg

t5iaXvF.jpg

cQBiwCe.jpg

J4akogW.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back