Preparing to Build 1/350th USS Enterprise, I Have Some Questions...

Gimpdiggity

Master Member
Hello everyone!!! My name's Jeff, and this is my first post on the site!!

I found the site while researching information about the Polar Lights 1/350th scale USS Enterprise model.

I've recently found myself spending way too much money on my RC stuff. So much so that I need to cut some of my spending out, and find something else to do with my time other than buying and building/working on more RC stuff. So I decided I'd go back to something I used to love to do...building static model kits.

Thing is, I want something that's pretty large and would be nice to display in my media room. The Enterprise seems to be a really good option to fulfill both of those wants.

I was originally planning on going with the 2009 kit, the NCC-1701 A version.

Here's the thing, though. I would really like to put working lights on the model, and seeing as this is my first time building an Enterprise, I'd prefer if the lighting was available in a kit form that's already wired up and ready to go. Seeing as I'm pretty new to this, I haven't had much luck finding a lighting kit built specifically to go with the 1701 A.

This has led me to the idea of potentially spending a bit more money up front and getting the kit that came out in 2012 that features the Enterprise from TOS. If I were to go this route, it appears that Polar themselves (Round 2, I guess really) makes a lighting kit that has all of the lights that I would need in order to have the ship lit up pretty nicely.

I don't really mind doing it that way, but I kind of prefer the 1701 A, mainly because it's price point is lower to start out than the version from TOS.

So, I guess what I am wondering is if anyone can point me in a direction that would provide me a nice lighting kit that requires minimal modifying in order to use it on the 1701 A kit?? Or does something like this just not really exist?

I've come up empty handed on Ebay and just the few Google searches that I've done on a pre-made lighting kit for the 1701 A setup, so I'm sorry if this question is something that's been asked and answered before.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

Thank you Ninja77. That is exactly the type of thing that I am looking for, but had no luck finding on my own.

It looks as if the assembled kit currently isn't available, but the DIY kit looks like something I could do. I didn't want to do DIY in the sense that I bought all of the parts myself...but if the parts were provided in a kit with instructions, I could definitely go that route.

So, now I need to decide which version of the ship I want to build...as the 1701 A with that kit comes out to about the same price as the TOS kit with the Polar Lights lighting.

Thanks!
Jeff

Voodoofx also offers a kit but its $300. They sell lighting kits for a lot of different models, and one of those, cheaper than the custom kit, may be adaptable to your needs if you dont want all the fancy blinkers and faders, or do not intend to light the botanical garden or hanger bay.

1/12 Scale Spinner Lighting Kit_Lost in Space_ Chariot Lighting Kit_Chariot Base Kit_Space Pod Lighting Kit_Seaviw lighting kit_model lighting_x-wing_x-wing lighting kit_Millennium Falcon Lighting Kit_NX-01 Lighting kit_Model Lighting_Jupiter 2 Fusio

Thanks for all of the help guys. Looks like the kits are out there, I just wasn't searching the right places.

I'm currently leaning towards going with the ship from the Original Series, just because I think that I should start with the ship that started it all...then, hopefully if all goes well, move on to some of the other versions of the Enterprise at a later date.

Whatever one I decide to go with, I'll be sure to try and do a build thread for it...even though it will be just a really basic build.

Me again guys...with a really basic question.

For a first build, do you guys suggest that I just build the model without lights so that I can get a bit of experience with the style of build?? I've never built a large scale model like this...most of my experience is with cars and WWII airplanes, and those were years ago. More recently I've been painting and building RC cars and trucks, but again they aren't quite as detailed as something like this would be.

For instance, my experience with filler to fill in gaps and creases is very limited, as most of the cars that I was building, well, the spots where there were lines were where lines were SUPPOSED to be, like doors, hoods, and trunks...and the little bit of filling I did on engine pieces and such wasn't anywhere near what I would consider actual "detail" filling, as the parts typically didn't show an awful lot due to other parts being mounted on them as well.

I'm kind of thinking that maybe just getting the kit and building it first would be a good idea, and then if I am satisfied with the result, I can go with another kit and do the lights on that one.

Thoughts?

wonderful thing about fillinf and sanding, can always sand the filler off to start again, im still learning the best ways to use filler but as long as you dont sand off the actual plastic and just the filler your good to go. another thing for me is the price, if you can build it basic then build it again lighted go for it, but damn thats expensive!! might as well go all out the first time, take your time and learn learn learn.!!! just my thoughts anyways

I tend to agree with Metal Wood. I wholeheartedly believe in the 'sink or swim' learning method. It messes with my perfectionism, but no matter how many years you spend preparing your skills, there will always be something you haven't mastered. No model will ever be perfect. Something about it will bug you no matter what. I have the refit/A kit sitting on my bench staring at me, and I'll admit it intimidates me. Not because I think I can't build it. I can build anything. But because of people like trekriffic, 11B30B4, MattA, etc. who have set the bar so high on this kit, and I don't know if I can build it that well. But, once I clear the accursed viper mk VII out of the build area, I'm opening that shrink wrap and going to give it my best shot. That's all we can ever do, so jump in with both feet. In the very worst case, it's an expensive lesson, but you never walk away empty handed.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back