Uruk Hai sword

Blaxmyth

Sr Member
My aim is to make a sword from scratch, and I've secured some nice scrap steel, but I'm lacking decent pictures of the hooked end, so I can replicate the facets where it was sharpened.

I've searched and googled without success, but all of the pictures I found, including the ones in the books, are too indistinct.

Does anyone have any clear pics? Particularly the end with the hook on?

Yours hopefully, Phil

Last edited:
Re: Uruk Hai sword - any screencaps for scratch build?

uruk-hai-sword.jpg
Is this the one you mean?

Yep, that's the one. I have seen one of these, but it appears to be different to the ones on screen. The book LOTR Weapons and Warfare says they were only sharp on one side, yet the hook seems double-edged.

Ah, well, not to worry, I'll probably get myself into Orc blacksmith mode and bash one out that I'm happy with. Just so long as it 'feels' OK.

I have the one in Timbog1's picture (the UC version.) The front edge is sharpened, and the spike is a little sharp closest to the front edge, but gradually disappears by the time it reaches the spike's point. I.e., the spike's point is the full thickness of the blade. Hope that helps.

I look forward to seeing this one done! I've noticed some differences in the production swords as well. Thanks for posting! :)

Yes, it certainly does help. Thanks for that. Now to start delving in the shed for where I've buried the welder.

I have the one in Timbog1's picture (the UC version.) The front edge is sharpened, and the spike is a little sharp closest to the front edge, but gradually disappears by the time it reaches the spike's point. I.e., the spike's point is the full thickness of the blade. Hope that helps.

The Sideshow version has a 90-degree tip instead of the slightly acute angle on most replicas:

Museum-Replicas-LARP-Uruk-Hai-Sword.jpg

Hey Indy, what's the overall length of that one of yours? The printed one seems longer than the one you have, but it's probably my eyes playing tricks.

If anyone could find the scene where they stack swords in the furnace room, that might help!

I'll have another look at it this evening - thanks for reminding me of that. I know that it jarred when I saw the swords being cast and then worked on an anvil. Thanks for reminding me of that.

If anyone could find the scene where they stack swords in the furnace room, that might help!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, Indy. Yep, that's just a whisker under the length of the UC sword. I've started a thread in which I posted a pepakura file to allow folks to print out a profile view of the sword for making one from scratch out of MDF or whatever. Possibly the mods might want to combine that thread and this one?

Just a bit over 80cm (802mm if you want precision). ;)

From the looks of things, the sword has a 90 degree end, based of these shots from TTT. I'm not sure about the double-edged thing though. It would make sense that it's only edged on one side.

screenshot20130530at900.png

screenshot20130530at858.png

screenshot20130530at905.png

Hey Blaxmyth, are you going to make an Uruk shield as well? It would probably go perfectly with your sword!
shield.jpg

im about to construct an uruk hai blade for my friends birthday and i want it to be as accurate as possible, i know 802mm is the length, do you know the width???

Sideshow looks dead on to me - the real props had a simple slope above the handle it looks like, and not a sharp curve

Well, interesting weekend we've just had! :D

Went down to Wellington to visit my children (and my gorgeous granddaughter), and managed to squeeze in a visit to the Weta Cave. They have two Uruk Scimitars on display behind glass and photographs are allowed. All I had was my old cell phone, so the pics are not the best.

UrukScim01.jpgUrukScim02.jpgUrukScim03.jpgUrukScim04.jpgUrukScim05.jpgUrukScim06.jpgUrukScim07.jpgUrukScim08.jpgUrukScim09.jpg

So I've abandoned any need to worry about accuracy, and where the beveled edges start, etc. The actual prop is astoundingly gnarly and rough. I believe that I'll pretty much use the dimensions I put in the Pep file in the thread I created before, but there's no need for slavishly adhering to them.

Uruk scimitar A4 - Download - 4shared
Uruk scimitar Letter - Download - 4shared

Which is good because it means I can have fun with the forge and anvil and even if it's not totally crisp, it'll still be acceptable.

Also, we had a bonus at the Weta Cave. Since the last time I was there they have installed the Hobbit trolls outside. Brilliant! :thumbsup

WetaTroll1.jpgWetaTroll2.jpgWetaTroll3.jpg

Great pics! I like the much rounder looking handle of the Weta sword as opposed to the flat handles of the replicas.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back