The Mandarin's ten rings (Iron Man Three); How would we go about making them?

ponchopanda

Ever since I saw Iron Man 3 which, I will admit, was something of a let down, I have been wondering about how I (or anyone for that matter) would go about making a set of Trevor's rings. I have seen very few shots of them and could find nothing when I searched on here.

Reference picture:

ironman3rings.jpg

Yeah, not really a lot to go on...

Any suggestions?

The bands seem simple and fairly similar. You could get inexpensive bands with similar border detail and then sculpt the tops of the rings, either directly onto the bands with epoxy putty, or, better yet, in clay separately with the idea of molding/casting them in silicone/resin and then gluing the resin tops onto the cheap bands and painting them up. This would simplify the molding and casting as the shape of the intact ring would be a little trickier and need two-part molds, etc.

I Would have suggested 3D Printing them - would save a lot of hassle and manual labour, all you would have to do is design and paint, much easier/quicker

So after some incredibly poor attempts which clay and bondo, I am seriously thinking bout giving up and commissioning someone to do some 3d printing for me. Now I have done a couple props in my time but my attempts with these were laughably bad. Rather than actually sculpting from predicting band I thought I would be clever and do the whole works with clay...

Never again.

Seriously, I realized how terrible I am with clay over this last summer, I'm thinking of displaying my attempts on a sidewalk hoping people will feel sorry for me an give me money for a 3d printer.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back