Entice's Gray Fox build

Entice

Greetings everyone! After a semi-failed attempt at a Space Marine a few years ago, I've decided to build something a bit less complicated for a beginner costume.

I will be making Gray Fox from the Metal Gear series using the pepakura file from BlackKaos to make the helmet; and will be making laellee's foam armor suit.

Any comments or feedback is appreciated!

Play-Arts-Kai-MGS-Cyborg-Ninja_1320236625.jpg

1297_11.jpg

Last edited:
After 4 attempts, I finally got the right scale on the helmet (dubbed the Mk.4). The original scaling it came as was far too small, and I'm not sure someone with a 22" head could fit into it (mine is ~24").

Got most of it glued up in a few hours and taped the different sections together to make sure everything was fitting right. I'll be using the Mk.1 and 3 as test subjects for the resin/fiberglass steps as this will be my first time working with those materials. Mk.2 was far too big, almost chibi sized :wacko

Attachments

• 970249_600633523288755_1356366614_n.jpg
    970249_600633523288755_1356366614_n.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
Hah, I didn't realize until now that it has been almost exactly 2 years since I first posted this.

Anyways - laellee finished his pep file and am now hard at work on this again!

I grabbed what seemed like the easiest first. Pep file printed, cut, and laid out.
wWWPwn0.jpg

I learned the hard way that I should probably bevel the first time around, rather than just cutting them all out with a flat edge...but anyways, this was about 80% cut out, ready for gluing:
BEcCbAM.jpg

And I didn't take any pics in the middle because I was too excited and just kept gluing it together. Woo, it fits! (kinda, see below)
LkrGO2H.jpg
njURG3x.jpg

My foot didn't quite fit in there, so I had to make an incision to allow my heel enough room to get through. Thinking about it now, it may be better to make the cut on the back instead of the side. I'm going to re-glue this back together and cut the back to see if it can be smaller.
ws5ZrPm.jpg

I plan on having some kind of snap or something that will hold the parts together once the suit is on. I don't think the seam should be too big of a deal.

Last edited:
Hmm, that's really odd. They were working when I posted it. Also, when I try to edit the post, the images show up fine.

Testing images again. If they don't show up, I'll just use imgur or something.
Got the 2nd shin done:
1xOiIqY.jpg
pq4QFQx.jpg

Edit: So I posted it, worked fine. Hit the refresh button and boom, they're gone. However, I can see them just fine as I'm editing this post. :boggle:

Last edited:
I got the left shin finished last night and forgot to take a picture...whoops. I'll grab one tonight after I finish the right shin.

Anyways - I was thinking about the foam sealer and paint last night and did some googling and was hit and miss on finding help. It seems like everyone does it different.
I've tested the smooth-on sealant on a few scraps that I have, and it seems to work great. It has a lot of flex to it, but is still tough and protects the foam. How do I go about painting on top of that without the paint cracking with every little movement? I don't expect much of my suit to be bending a lot, but the worst part is going to be the lower part of the shin where it warps quite a bit when trying to fit my foot through it.

I did find a few people suggesting a paint called Liquitex (http://www.liquitex.com/), but they have a few different types of paint and nobody mentioned exactly which one to use. Anyone have experience with this? Any other types of paint that work well? What kind of paint sealant should I use? It will need to be just as pliable as the paint.

ive used the liquitex acrylic's for airbrushing the inside of R.C. car body's and I love it. easy thinning and mixing, stays nice and flexible for wrecks and crashes. but like I said that's inside the shell. TONS of color's which is great. Im thinking it would work very similar to plastidip just not as "tough". one more thing....MORE PICTURES MAN! :lol

Shins done! Abs/codpiece next. Going to need a bit more trimming in pepakura before I can print it out. Also probably the last piece I can make till I order more foam.

xBNdHkF.jpg

JwWe3ss.jpg

That looks pretty badass!! I know you were using black Kaos' fox pep file, but have you seen darkside's unfold? It's straight from the game.

Thanks!

Yeah, I did see his. I prefer the version I have though. Plus, I've already made this one 4 times. I don't want to have to resize that one a bunch too. :lol

Sorry for the hiatus! I got the abs done and ran into a problem...and all my motivation disappeared.

All done, looking good so far...
5qOdKTG.jpg

And it's way too small. I have a 31" waist, so I'm really not sure who's supposed to fit in this thing. I'm not sure whether I want to try and extend it to make it fit, or redo it and scale the whole thing up.
ZvAhVF0.jpg

Anyways, I did start sealing up all the cracks on the shins and touching up some missed areas. Gonna try plastidipping them after it dries and see how that goes.

It is my understanding that,eventhough a design is said to be scaled to a certain size,you should always check and possibly test-build it in paper/cardstock before foam building.
Maybe consider rescaling? Foam is never lost; you can always cut it up and re-use it ;)
Now,pick yourself up,dust yourself off...and try again :cool the suit is worth it,bro
Motivate yourself by looking at the pictures of the suit,again and again,remembering that you want to make this suit so bad.That has helped me thusfar.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back