Jumanji board!

Gemwright

Hi everyone,
This is my first post so bare with me... I WILL get the hang of it.
I started making the board from Jumanji a couple of weeks ago and It's going really well :), so I thought I would share my process.
I think I am using a slightly different method from other members who have replicated the board.

Started off with Hard Chevant Plastelline clay. Melted it in a thin layer on to a piece of M.D.F then sculpted into it.
Have done this with the outer box design and the inner board.
Thought it would be easier (and more forgiving of mistakes) if I did it like this, instead of carving it from wood. As I know a few other people have done.
pb120011.jpg

pb070005.jpg

I also sculpted the playing the pieces at the same time. There are some pretty hazy images of the originals, so I mainly just watched and re-watched the sections of the film that show the pieces. :wacko

pb120017.jpg

Thought it would be good to get all the moulding and casting done in one go.

I made a mould box around these sections and poured in a silicone layer:

pb130026.jpg

I'll post more up tomorrow... See if anyone cares first :p
Please feel free to ask questions on any part of the process, I doubt I have been extremely clear.

Last edited:
Wow! This is amazing! People will definitely care to see this progress. Since you're making molds of the pieces, will you be selling?

Wow! This is amazing! People will definitely care to see this progress. Since you're making molds of the pieces, will you be selling?

Thanks, I keep getting very stern messages pop up telling me not to try and sell things :p So I wont talk about it yet. But possibly in the future.

Thats because you are a new member with only 5 posts.... when you been here a little while longer and have a couple more posts you are able to start a Sell thread in the Junkyard. Just remember to not take on a larger order than you are able to fulfill.

As Conny said, it's due to you being a New Member.. You have to be a Full Access Member to gain access to the Junk Yard, which means being a member for at least 45 days and 20 or more posts.. Until then, The RPF doesn't allow sales talk by new members and all must be done via Junk Yard..

And Conny made a great suggestion, don't take on runs that you can't fulfill, so start of smart and enjoy your time with The RPF Community..

Yeah I figured It was because I'm a shiny new member :). But I'm not trying to sell anything yet- I've only been here for a day! Want to settle in and suss out this place first.

On with the process!

The silicone moulds came out beautifully. Silicone is expensive (especially for a lowly student) but its completely worth it.

pb140030.jpg

The moulds are totally flat on the back, which is great because they don't require a jacket. I only had to make sure they were on a flat surface. Then filled them with fastcast.

pb140029.jpg

Fastcast sets in about 10 mins so I was able to see the results quickly. This is the cast of the front just placed on the wood - needs the edges trimming off in these pictures.

pb140033.jpg
pb140034.jpg

Ugh this is so cool! Love that you are giving it a wood back; really adds to the realism. Can't wait to see the finished product, good luck!

Thanks guys :)
Yeah I thought I'd make as much of it out of wood as I can
Because hopefully it will make it easier to blend in the sections that are resin. I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THE PAINT JOB! :D
I have to keep reining myself in atm- Finding it hard not to add finishing to sections willy-nilly.

Good job so far!

Jumanjifan112 seems excited for some weird reason. =P

Lol, my name is Jumanjifan112, and you think its weird that I'm excited for a Jumanji game build? Since I've done it myself once or twice, I always get excited when some one else wants to join in on making their own, and no one around my area is remotely interested in the movie or making the game itself. Even professional woodcarvers werent interested. So, yeah...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back