STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Thrawn would have won if the stupid Interdictor captain would have followed orders. :)

Would he?

He didn't have the entire planet blocked with 2 interdictor's....i'd rather question why didn't ezra leave base, 50ft later, hand a hard right and exit the planet 90 degrees from where the battle was? Helluva lot easier way out that trying to run right through 10 capital ships. Better yet, why not the opposite side of the planet/moon?

Would he?

He didn't have the entire planet blocked with 2 interdictor's....i'd rather question why didn't ezra leave base, 50ft later, hand a hard right and exit the planet 90 degrees from where the battle was? Helluva lot easier way out that trying to run right through 10 capital ships. Better yet, why not the opposite side of the planet/moon?

Easy answer. That wouldn't work or else they would have done that.

- - - Updated - - -

Based on ezra that makes sense, but not the final kenobi episode shot. No way.

I'm not sure why you are still having a problem with this still.

Would he?

Because Star Wars, that's why. Empire Strikes Back - why did the rebels fly right through the imperial fleet at Hoth? Implausible, sure, but a better story as long as you don't think about it too much. Much of Star Wars breaks down when you think about it too much - you have to watch through the eyes of a child, always have.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Would he?

He didn't have the entire planet blocked with 2 Interdictors....i'd rather question why didn't ezra leave base, 50ft later, hand a hard right and exit the planet 90 degrees from where the battle was? Helluva lot easier way out that trying to run right through 10 capital ships. Better yet, why not the opposite side of the planet/moon?
Because sci-fi writers have a hard time thinking and writing 3 dimensionally, they have a very bad tendency to think linearly in a 2D fashion. They always seem to forget that in space you can also go up and down in addition to left and right and in the case of a planet, there's more than just one face to it and to blockade a planet you need to pretty much completely surround it because a planet is not like a harbor or port, or even a space station. All they really had to do to fix it was to toss in a simple line saying that they had the planet completely surrounded, even if we only saw the fleet in "front" of the planet.

Would he?

Because Star Wars, that's why. Empire Strikes Back - why did the rebels fly right through the imperial fleet at Hoth? Implausible, sure, but a better story as long as you don't think about it too much. Much of Star Wars breaks down when you think about it too much - you have to watch through the eyes of a child, always have.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Because sci-fi writers have a hard time thinking and writing 3 dimensionally, they have a very bad tendency to think linearly in a 2D fashion. They always seem to forget that in space you can also go up and down in addition to left and right and in the case of a planet, there's more than just one face to it and to blockade a planet you need to pretty much completely surround it because a planet is not like a harbor or port, or even a space station. All they really had to do to fix it was to toss in a simple line saying that they had the planet completely surrounded, even if we only saw the fleet in "front" of the planet.

I've said something to this a lot so forgive me if this sounds familiar...

One of the things I like about Star wars is the lack of technobabble. As fans, it is our role to take in the story and believe that events. No one here is master space strategists. No on here knows exactly what resources the Empire has brought as in what is seen and what is not seen. Nor does anyone here know what those resources can do or what the limitations of the rebel resources might be.

If you are a real fan, then you take the story for what it is and believe that Rebels had limited options to escape and what they did was the best choice to escape.

If you're not, then maybe you would be happier watching something else.

Hyperspace routes have to be taken a certain way. The Empire blocks the routes so they have to fight their way through. If you stop thinking right there, it works and you can be happy.

I watched this last night with my nephew and when the Rebels try to flee, I said "In the books Thrawn would have Interdictors standing by." and sure enough they did it! I'm really glad they are staying close to his portrayal in the novels!

I also thought the same thing about them fleeing right through the Imperial Fleet, and I also assumed they would say the Hyperspace routes dictated that they had to go that direction. Otherwise you'd go around the planet and take off and eventually you'll get past the edge of the Interdictor's mass shadow. It doesn't seem very smart though for the Rebels to have a base where they only have one route to escape. Of course even if they did he could split his fleet, because the Rebels' ships in this episode were probably not even a match for one ISD.

I liked how Sato's move mirrored Thrawn's. Just as Thrawn studies their tactics & uses the rebels' strengths against them, Sato understood the Imperial urge for personal glory. He knew his suicide run would draw the interdictor in to capture him.

Easy, you hyperspace from the other side of the planet to an intermediate location, then jump (one or more times) to your destination.
But as pointed out, the same problem exists with ESB, so I'll go with it....

Really enjoyed the S3 ending episodes. A defeat but at least some survived and it looks like we will see more Mandalorean stuff and a return to Ezra's home planet.

Great space battles! As far as Thrawn goes, I think he has been a good villain in Rebels. We can't have a "perfect' bad guy because the war would be over. I think Thrawn has been a great strategist and he almost wiped out a chunk of the Rebellion this season plus he obviously has plenty of past victories to get to his position. It will be interesting to see how his actual downfall takes place.

It's episodes like those last two that bring me back into this show. Most of the time the episodes just seem like filler to me. Sometime after this show concludes I would like to maybe download only the episodes I feel are actually pertinent to the Star Wars story and keep them as one story.

It's episodes like those last two that bring me back into this show. Most of the time the episodes just seem like filler to me. Sometime after this show concludes I would like to maybe download only the episodes I feel are actually pertinent to the Star Wars story and keep them as one story.

The thing is that most episodes are actually pertinent to the overall story, they just seem like filler but there's usually a nugget of story arc in the episode in them. Just because the entire episode isn't centered around the main story arc for the season doesn't mean that it doesn't somehow tie in to the overall story arc.

I've said something to this a lot so forgive me if this sounds familiar...

One of the things I like about Star wars is the lack of technobabble. As fans, it is our role to take in the story and believe that events. No one here is master space strategists. No on here knows exactly what resources the Empire has brought as in what is seen and what is not seen. Nor does anyone here know what those resources can do or what the limitations of the rebel resources might be.

If you are a real fan, then you take the story for what it is and believe that Rebels had limited options to escape and what they did was the best choice to escape.

If you're not, then maybe you would be happier watching something else.

It's not a matter of technobabble or a lack there of, it's 2 dimensional thinking that's the problem. The writers are approaching the scenario from a land/water based approach, like the Rebels are trapped in a port/harbor and the Empire is outside of it with a blockade to keep the Rebel fleet from getting out to the open ocean where they can escape. What the writers are forgetting is that the Rebels have the option of flying in the atmosphere around to the back of the planet and take off into space from there. To go with my port/harbor blockade analogy, it would be like if a large river connected to the back of the port and the Rebels could sail up the river to where it exits at another part of the ocean far from the enemy blockade.

The thing is that most episodes are actually pertinent to the overall story, they just seem like filler but there's usually a nugget of story arc in the episode in them. Just because the entire episode isn't centered around the main story arc for the season doesn't mean that it doesn't somehow tie in to the overall story arc.
Yeah, I understand all that. Doesn't mean I have to sit through it all, though.

I've mostly liked what they've done with Thrawn, and how much of Zahn has made it through.

Which is both a compliment to the writers for successfully incorporating what is arguably the best of the old EU....and maybe a bit of a knock that they couldn't come up with something equally awesome themselves.

(hey, I'm not Zahn, either)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back