STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

If you missed the First Look, you will be able to see it here soon...(Link will go live at 9:00pm PT on Monday, August 4th):

Last edited by a moderator:
I DVRed it and just watched it.. October can't come fast enough!!! I loved it. Just in that 7 minutes I enjoyed the character interaction better then the prequels. I want more!!!

Oh wow, I hate that so much. Hopefully later in the series when they introduce the Genie and Abu things will pick up.

Seriously, so awful.

I enjoyed it and I'm sure I will check it out when it airs, but as far as being super-stoked for it--nah. Nice seeing TIE fighters and early-concept speeder bikes, and an alien that was an early Chewie concept, yes.

But honestly, none of this animated stuff thrills my Whills. I gave up on Clone Wars after about a season and a half. I simply just do not like all this stylized cgi animation. 'Stylized' being the key word there. I can deal with the ships and the backgrounds and all that, it's just the characters I can't stand to look at. I guess I am just getting too old LOL

BTW: I watched that Phineas and Ferb Star Wars special. It was pretty funny. There were details in there that I feel that somebody has a love for Star Wars. I thought the "We Love Tatooine" song was brilliant,

Anyhow, the reason I bring it up is that someone earlier in this thread brought up this special as if it was going to ruin the Star Wars story as if it were canon. So last night when I saw the last sentence of the oping crawl, I laughed out loud.

FFCanon.png

Last edited:
BTW: I watched that Phineas and Ferb Star Wars special. It was pretty funny. There were details in there that I feel that somebody has a love for Star Wars. I thought the "I love Tatooine" song was brilliant,

Anyhow, the reason I bring it up is that someone earlier in this thread brought up this special as if it was going to ruin the Star Wars story as if it were canon. So last night when I saw the last sentence of the oping crawl, I laughed out loud.

http://s30.postimg.org/g4rfewgfl/FFCanon.png

LOL! that's awesome! for those being way negative and poo-pooing anything star wars these days because its now all Disney property I think have just forgotten (or never learned) how to have fun with Star Wars... anyway, the 7 minute sneak peak of Rebels really confirmed to me that this show is going to start out great and get better and more fun as it moves along. It to me is very much Star Wars... I am actually surprised Disney didn't sanitize it more.. the gun fights, bombings etc you have to admit are a bit outside the realm of what disney usually promotes or wants to include in their programming especially to kids so Kudos to Disney for allowing that part of what Star Wars is to remain in this production!
And remember folks, its just a cartoon... its meant to be fun entertainment... go for the ride and if its not your cup o' tea then don't drink it! :D

I enjoyed that little sneak peek as well and was disappointed when it ended. It was a little rough around the edges, in my opinion, but so was Clone Wars when it first started and I see far, far more potential in Rebels than I did Clone Wars when I first started it. I like that they're acting like true rebels and are not the Rebels yet so they're doing small stuff and stealing from the Empire, they look they're also going to do a good job at establishing how repressive the Empire truly was.

I think what I liked the most were all of the old sound effects, the blasters, the TIEs, the sound of the speeder or swoop bikes, it really brought me back to the OT and made me realize just how much I actually missed those old sound effects. I can't wait to hear those Stormtroopers talk, that's really going to bring things back, I just hope they don't make them all sound like the Clonetroopers.

The one thing that I didn't quite like was the beginning with Ezra(?), that was just a little too Aladdin like for me. As soon as he started jumping up to the top of the buildings I kept on expecting to hear him start singing "One Jump Ahead". It didn't help that the character design sort of resembled Aladdin too, but I did kind of forget about that once the action started.

For me, seeing all the OT references made it seemed like I was eating forbidden fruit. We have not seen OT related canon since 1983. It was almost like since then LFL has said, "That's all you get. No more Stormtroopers, you get Clone Troopers. No more TIE Fighters, you get Tri-fighters, No more R2D2 you get... okay you can have R2D2." :p

Don't get me wrong, I like the PT too. It added so much to understanding much more of the Star Wars universe but I felt we were kept away from OT related canon material for too long.

For me, seeing all the OT references made it seemed like I was eating forbidden fruit. We have not seen OT related canon since 1983. It was almost like since then LFL has said, "That's all you get. No more Stormtroopers, you get Clone Troopers. No more TIE Fighters, you get Tri-fighters, No more R2D2 you get... okay you can have R2D2."

That may be due to the fact that George Lucas doesn't like the original trilogy. With his ex-wife playing a major part in the trilogy's creation and his constant tampering of the films, I can't help but feel that the prequel trilogy was just a massive attempt at "revisionism". He didn't make the prequel trilogy to honor the original, he made the prequel trilogy to be his "true" vision of Star Wars. Hopefully Disney won't be so dismissive of good material.

Don't get me wrong, I like the PT too. It added so much to understanding much more of the Star Wars universe but I felt we were kept away from OT related canon material for too long.

I don't know. I'd still like to think of the Jedi as good, "can do" spirited good guys who really did protect the galaxy from evil and didn't worry about "love", "feelings" or ANYTHING being a path to the dark side. The one thing I'm very skeptical about this series is the Jedi character. The Jedi way FAILED. Star Wars doesn't need a Captain Janeway to preach how her way of thinking is the best way to handle situations she knows nothing about.

That may be due to the fact that George Lucas doesn't like the original trilogy. With his ex-wife playing a major part in the trilogy's creation and his constant tampering of the films, I can't help but feel that the prequel trilogy was just a massive attempt at "revisionism". He didn't make the prequel trilogy to honor the original, he made the prequel trilogy to be his "true" vision of Star Wars. Hopefully Disney won't be so dismissive of good material.

Anything with Marcia and his feelings about her are most likely speculation since it is well known he ever makes mention of her. If he hated the OT, he wouldn't have gone back to that in the special editions and initial plans for the 3D editions. The typical mutterings across the community is not about his hatred of the OT in general but his dislike for releasing the non-SE film. The speculation goes that somehow, someway, the amount of changes to Star Wars in the special edition makes it a new entity and therefore no money has to go to his wife. Now, I am not saying that any of this true, that's just what is being said and maybe you pulled your info from some of that speculation.

I don't know. I'd still like to think of the Jedi as good, "can do" spirited good guys who really did protect the galaxy from evil and didn't worry about "love", "feelings" or ANYTHING being a path to the dark side. The one thing I'm very skeptical about this series is the Jedi character. The Jedi way FAILED. Star Wars doesn't need a Captain Janeway to preach how her way of thinking is the best way to handle situations she knows nothing about.

The Jedi "way" did not fail, it was the Jedi's failure to stay true to the Jedi Way. By the time we saw them in the PT, they were so mired in their political role and their own ego, that they were simply a shell of what they once were. That is one of the issues as to why there was a need to "bring balance to the force". It wasn't just the Sith who were screwing it up, it was also the Jedi.

I think everyone just needs to chill about the upcoming involvement of any Jedi type story in Rebels. People need to come to the realization that what they thought they knew is/may not be correct. Let us watch and see and hopefully enjoy what the real story is going to be.

The Jedi "way" did not fail, it was the Jedi's failure to stay true to the Jedi Way. By the time we saw them in the PT, they were so mired in their political role and their own ego, that they were simply a shell of what they once were. That is one of the issues as to why there was a need to "bring balance to the force". It wasn't just the Sith who were screwing it up, it was also the Jedi.

The problem I have with that argument is that no one ever discusses or even acknowledges that the Jedi had lost their ways in the prequels, let alone the original films. Yoda, the Jedi Master who has been around for almost 1,000 years never admits to any wrong doing on his part, or any part of the Jedi order. Even while training Luke he never brings up any details on how the Jedi allowed their destruction to happen. He is as committed to his absolute view of the Jedi way in the end as he was in the beginning.

And why are we still bringing up that "bring balance to the force" prophecy as though it was somehow a legitimate thing? No one ever explains how the Force being unbalanced in a bad thing. What is it about the Force that's telling every Jedi "I'm unbalanced!"? The Jedi seem to have a firm grasp of their powers and never complain about not being able to use their abilities because the Force was unbalanced. The only time a Jedi couldn't use his ability was Yoda, who said that the dark side was responsible for making the future hard to see, not because the Force was out of balance. And if you're going to bring up that the Sith is what was bringing the Force out of balance, hehe. In Episode One, Qui-Gon declares that he encountered a Sith lord, and in the very next discussion, he brings up that he encountered a boy who could be tied with the prophecy that will bring balance to the Force.

So, the Force is unbalanced because of the Sith, boy shows up at the same time the Sith do and he's destined to destroy the Sith and bring back balance. Do the Jedi connect the emergence of the Sith and the Chosen One as though they were related?... No. It's easy to bullsh** your way through a convoluted plot point if you don't explain anything. You can always make it up as you go and not have any care in the world if what you add to it contradicts how it was treated in the previous stories. I totally think it's logical for the Jedi to believe in a prophecy about a Chosen One destroying the Sith while at the same time not believing the Sith would ever come back.

George Lucas himself has said that Anakin is and does fulfill the prophecy of bringing balance to the force. this was in response to a question to speculation that it may have been Luke who the prophecy referred.

We know there are issues with the Jedi because in the film, they refer to keeping the secret that they do not have control of the Force as they once did. We also know there are issues because they question Qui Gonn's assessment that her confronted a Sith saying something along the lines that if the Sith had returned, they would be aware of it.

The prophecy does not say anything about destroying the Sith, simply bring balance. It is the Jedi who wrongly interpret it to destroying the Sith. It does not even occur to the Jedi that they themselves are part of the problem. Unfortunately the Jedi must fall in order to fulfill the prophecy.

The prophecy does not say anything about destroying the Sith, simply bring balance. It is the Jedi who wrongly interpret it to destroying the Sith. It does not even occur to the Jedi that they themselves are part of the problem. Unfortunately the Jedi must fall in order to fulfill the prophecy.
What does the prophecy specifically say? Where is it written? Why is it so hard to ask for something tangible? If the Jedi consider this prophecy to be of such great importance that they'll teach every Jedi about it, why isn't it written down anywhere?

All that we really know from actual canon material is:

"You refer to the prophecy of the one who will bring balance to the Force. You believe it's this....boy? Said by Mace to Qui-Gon, referring to Anakin.

We later hear reference from Obi Wan during the final battle saying "You were suppose to save the Jedi, not destroy them." But then you have to go back a little earlier in the movie in which Yoda states that the prophecy could have been misread. So from that we understand that the prophecy is not clear cut as to how and what will happen or who it might be since there is a certain amount of interpretation needed. Did Anakin save the Jedi? In the end, yes... (assuming Luke was successful in restoring the Jedi Order to it's proper state... I guess we will find out for sure next year) ...but unfortunately for the Jedi, you got to break a few eggs to make a cake.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back