STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

I agree that the Jedi should be absent, but we all know that's not going to happen. I would rather it just be a war story. But I really don't know how they could even do that without it being totally downbeat. The rebels would never win. In the opening crawl of ANH it states that the rebels had just won there first victory against the Empire.

But of course we all know that what was stated before means nothing anymore. (hey I like the sound of that--pretty much sums up the current state of SW in a nutshell)

What was stated before--
Means nothing anymore!!:lol

I agree that the Jedi should be absent, but we all know that's not going to happen. I would rather it just be a war story. But I really don't know how they could even do that without it being totally downbeat. The rebels would never win. In the opening crawl of ANH it states that the rebels had just won there first victory against the Empire.

But of course we all know that what was stated before means nothing anymore. (hey I like the sound of that--pretty much sums up the current state of SW in a nutshell)

What was stated before--
Means nothing anymore!!:lol

Next release of the SE the opening crawl will be changed to indicate 20 years of rebel forces fighting. :lol

If I had a say in what happened to the jedi after Order 66, here is what I would say.

Like stated, some would have been warned off by the beacon. Those that did survive most likely ended up dead in some sort counter attack sometime soon after. At that point I do not think the Empire would be concerned about any stragglers. I think his ego would assume he squashed any threat. However, just to be on the safe side, he puts a bounty on the head of any Jedi who exist. Therefore any hint of a story about a stranger wielding a laser sword is sought out for big credits.

Now, I see at least three possibly for Jedi to have survived. These reasons also support that no one else are aware of their existence including Obi and Yoda.
  1. They have lost their courage and just go into hiding.
  2. They have a family and their primary focus is to protect them rather than support the rebellion (that is what I see for Ashoka).
  3. They participate in the rebellion like Samantha from Bewitched. Meaning that if and when she resorts to using the force, she does it in a way that no one is aware of and not jumping around wielding a lightsaber.

But realistically for the show, I think they are going to avoid any type of real focus on Jedi. I think that they are going to want to reinforce the "A New Hope" aspect in Luke and Leia would be their last hope.

I am sure that if they feel the show needs some lightsaber action, they will unleash Vader.

Anyhow, just my personal take. I've often found the what develops from LFL is much more interesting that anything I have imagined. I won't be ticked off if it goes in a completely different direction.

:lol

.... I can't imagine that Jedi all over the galaxy would just hide for 20 years because they were afraid, they would try and do something about it and, seeing as they aren't around by ANH it's clear that they would fail resulting in their deaths.

Hell, if a neophyte can successfully challenge Vader why didn't other more accomplished Jedi try?

perhaps some did and that's what we will see in this span of time considering they stated; "Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights"

yoda and Ben hid in fear and realized they not only failed but would again if they tried. Yes, their new purpose was to ensure Luke had a fighting shot at it but technically he too failed... It was anakin coming to his senses because of Luke's final act of defiance and ultimate sacrafice that a Jedi could start the order once again. Having said that I agree that keeping within the films I always felt only Yoda and Obi Wan survived and it was ultimately Luke's fate and choice as to whether or not the Jedi could ever triumph.
Also Luke had something more than what more accomplished Jedi had: a relationship to Vader... Something Anakin "cared about" and that defeated Vader not general Jedi skill.

Last edited:
Would you have preferred a "I Dream of Jeanie" Reference? ;)

Yes actually, much better show. :lol

They were able to know the existence of Obi and Yoda so the Emperor and Vader do not have Jedar (jedi-radar). :p

But Obi & Yoda weren't using their powers and were in hiding (granted in Obi's case changing your name to "Ben" and hoping it'll stick was pretty weak). When Obi stepped on to to Death Star Vader sensed him right away. A Jedi secretly using their powers would be found out IMO. :)

I disagree. Unless it is a major disturbance in the Force, I think they are limited by proximity. It has to be that because it is not interesting to to have an ultra power like that. I think an exception would be if two individuals had a mutual personal connection like student and master, or from one loved one to the other or some other personal connection. But it has to be mutual and not forced. That's not based on anything I read but it makes sense to me.

Fair enough. I just figured that by your Bewitched example said Jedi would be doing it under everyone's nose which would mean some proximity. :)

I disagree. Unless it is a major disturbance in the Force, I think they are limited by proximity. It has to be that because it is not interesting to to have an ultra power like that. I think an exception would be if two individuals had a mutual personal connection like student and master, or from one loved one to the other or some other personal connection. But it has to be mutual and not forced. That's not based on anything I read but it makes sense to me.

Considering the Emporer couldn't sense Luke in the shuttle, that fits.

Fair enough. I just figured that by your Bewitched example said Jedi would be doing it under everyone's nose which would mean some proximity. :)

I was thinking more on the lines of that person dealing with non-force people like troops and bounty hunters. I figure they would stick to small engagements and commando type raids. No where near the proximity of Vader or the Emperor.

The question would be, can one force user with no ties to another force user detect them? Could the reason Vader sensed Luke is because they did have a connection even though they were unaware of it. Did Qui simply guess that Anakin was able to use the force and was not sure until he tested his blood? Even the Jedi council needed to give him the image pad test to know for sure. If you could sense it, wouldn't they be able to do it with someone with the highest known midichlorian count? Maul was on the Tatoonie and Qui nor Obi even suspected it. I think these unknowns allow the writers to be able to have some leeway in story development.

I personally have to remind myself from time-to-time that Star Wars is really a fantasy film and not sci-fi. Things in the story happen and it is the viewers to accept that reality (for lack of a better term).

Ya, TPM made it nice and murky for us. :lol

I prefer to believe that they can be sensed. I always saw the council's test as just a proof requirement. :)

I personally have to remind myself from time-to-time that Star Wars is really a fantasy film and not sci-fi. Things in the story happen and it is the viewers to accept that reality (for lack of a better term).

I don't know what you're talking about... You're saying this isn't all real??? :lol

I agree, everything we've seen seems to suggest that Force user detection is dependent on proximity/distance, fairly long distance at times but definitely far from limitless, the width of the Death Star at most since Vader didn't sense Ben until he was fully aboard the Death Star. Usage of the Force also does not seem to set off a Jedi's "Spidey Sense" either as Ben used the Force once or twice on the Death Star and it didn't seem to particularly draw Vader's attention nor did the times on Tattooine or for that matter all of the times Yoda and Luke used the Force on Dagobah while training.

I agree, everything we've seen seems to suggest that Force user detection is dependent on proximity/distance, fairly long distance at times but definitely far from limitless, the width of the Death Star at most since Vader didn't sense Ben until he was fully aboard the Death Star. Usage of the Force also does not seem to set off a Jedi's "Spidey Sense" either as Ben used the Force once or twice on the Death Star and it didn't seem to particularly draw Vader's attention nor did the times on Tattooine or for that matter all of the times Yoda and Luke used the Force on Dagobah while training.

That stuff can be explained away, depending on how closely one hews to EU explanations, or depending on how much tapdancing one wants to do, but yeah, it doesn't seem totally limitless.

Maybe it's more like you have to be actively seeking it out and can only sense it if you're (A) lookign for it and (B) get close enough to it. So, like, the same way that Sauron couldn't see the One Ring as it headed to Mount Doom, unless he was looking RIGHT at it or Frodo put it on or whathavyou.

I was thinking more on the lines of that person dealing with non-force people like troops and bounty hunters. I figure they would stick to small engagements and commando type raids. No where near the proximity of Vader or the Emperor.

The question would be, can one force user with no ties to another force user detect them? Could the reason Vader sensed Luke is because they did have a connection even though they were unaware of it. Did Qui simply guess that Anakin was able to use the force and was not sure until he tested his blood? Even the Jedi council needed to give him the image pad test to know for sure. If you could sense it, wouldn't they be able to do it with someone with the highest known midichlorian count? Maul was on the Tatoonie and Qui nor Obi even suspected it. I think these unknowns allow the writers to be able to have some leeway in story development.

To further add to the mix, Vader never once sensed that Leia had any Force sensitivity even though he's spent a considerable amount of time with her and part of that time he was face to face with her no more than a foot apart. And for that matter when Luke first arrived on the Death Star Vader never mentioned sensing Luke although he had already started some of his training by that time unless Ben's Force signature, or whatever, completely masked Luke's.

Maybe it's more like you have to be actively seeking it out and can only sense it if you're (A) lookign for it and (B) get close enough to it. So, like, the same way that Sauron couldn't see the One Ring as it headed to Mount Doom, unless he was looking RIGHT at it or Frodo put it on or whathavyou.

Sounds like a sensible explanation to me. :)

- - - Updated - - -

To further add to the mix, Vader never once sensed that Leia had any Force sensitivity even though he's spent a considerable amount of time with her and part of that time he was face to face with her no more than a foot apart. And for that matter when Luke first arrived on the Death Star Vader never mentioned sensing Luke although he had already started some of his training by that time unless Ben's Force signature, or whatever, completely masked Luke's.

Re: Leia - Ya, that's a big one. I'd say that nothing in the OT indicates that she has any kind of added Force sensibilities but in ROTJ Luke says she's strong so Vader completely missed the boat on that one.

Re: Luke - On the DS I'm on the side of Ben having a masking effect because during the Trench run Vader notices Luke's strength in the Force.

Depending on when this series is ultimately set I think it would be interesting to see the Rebels before they became the Alliance that we've all come to know and love. I'd like to see the different factions each working separately and even at times competing against each other with the series working towards the time that the different Rebel cells/factions eventually coalesce into the Rebel Alliance.

The only problem with the actively seeking a Force signature is that I don't think that Vader was actually looking for Ben when he arrived on the Death Star. Near as I can tell Vader had no idea that Ben was even still alive much less expecting him to arrive on his door step. But logically speaking it would make sense otherwise all of the Jedis in the Jedi temple would be going nuts from sensing all of the other Jedis around them.

The only problem with the actively seeking a Force signature is that I don't think that Vader was actually looking for Ben when he arrived on the Death Star. Near as I can tell Vader had no idea that Ben was even still alive much less expecting him to arrive on his door step. But logically speaking it would make sense otherwise all of the Jedis in the Jedi temple would be going nuts from sensing all of the other Jedis around them.

Maybe in that case their connection had been so strong that it made him notice it more. Same with noticing Luke in the trench and on the shuttle in ROTJ?

Maybe when you are actually calling on the Force, as Luke was doing at the end of the trench run, your Force signature is stronger.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back