STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

Eh, I'm not even sure I'd welcome it that much. Particularly given that his "insight" has resulted in the SEs and Prequels. Maybe to get a baseline idea and then play off of it, sure, but not to be followed or taken any more seriously than anyone else.

Like, there's a difference between the role Lucas ought to play and, say, George RR Martin with Game of Thrones on TV. Martin is writing the story while the show's in production. He's also shown to have a pretty solid grasp of his universe and the people in it. Lucas already did everything he was going to do, and then handed it off. Tehre's a wealth of information and "speculation" out there (in the form of EU material), some good, much not so good. Lucas, at this point, I include in this. I don't think he has any special insight in to the Star Wars universe anymore. I think it's bigger than him and his ideas now. I would submit that, at least during the filming of the OT, it always WAS bigger than him and was a collaborative project, inspired by much of what he said. To the extent that the NT and spinoff shows are like that, fine and dandy. He can pitch in an idea, and people can accept it or not. But really, he's just another guy with an opinion to me. And if the last 15-ish years has proven anything, not a particularly worthwhile opinion, in my estimation.

I expect they'll consult with him, but I'd hope they'd just "take it under advisement." Keep what works, ignore the rest.

Eh, I'm not even sure I'd welcome it that much. Particularly given that his "insight" has resulted in the SEs and Prequels. Maybe to get a baseline idea and then play off of it, sure, but not to be followed or taken any more seriously than anyone else.

Like, there's a difference between the role Lucas ought to play and, say, George RR Martin with Game of Thrones on TV. Martin is writing the story while the show's in production. He's also shown to have a pretty solid grasp of his universe and the people in it. Lucas already did everything he was going to do, and then handed it off. Tehre's a wealth of information and "speculation" out there (in the form of EU material), some good, much not so good. Lucas, at this point, I include in this. I don't think he has any special insight in to the Star Wars universe anymore. I think it's bigger than him and his ideas now. I would submit that, at least during the filming of the OT, it always WAS bigger than him and was a collaborative project, inspired by much of what he said. To the extent that the NT and spinoff shows are like that, fine and dandy. He can pitch in an idea, and people can accept it or not. But really, he's just another guy with an opinion to me. And if the last 15-ish years has proven anything, not a particularly worthwhile opinion, in my estimation.

I expect they'll consult with him, but I'd hope they'd just "take it under advisement." Keep what works, ignore the rest.
NAILED IT!!! :thumbsup I just read through the posts since yesterday, If I ever need to be defended in court I'm calling you Dan! ;)

Eh, I'm not even sure I'd welcome it that much.

Of course you wouldn't. You seem to have a big chip on your shoulder when it come to George. ;)

From the interviews I've seen, that appears to be what his role with CW. After all, George wanted Ashoka dead, but Dave did not. Although the story is not yet complete, I think Dave is going to win.

I am curious to see what characters they use for the heroic action roles. Dodonna, Ackbar, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma do not seem to fit the bill. Depending on the timeframe they pick up the story, will characters like Wedge be old enough to be affiliated in the rebellion? Will we see Major Derlin in all his glory? Will a plucky tween Leia making an appearance? Will new characters fill the role? Will most episodes focus on a group of droids and they brave frog-like leader? Confused? You won't be after this episode of Soap.

I await to see what they come up with.

I haven't followed the CW cartoon, but I can understand Lucas' position there. "No, ALL the Jedi are dead except for Obi-Wan and Yoda."

Thing is, the EU has played pretty fast and loose with this. There's always been the possibility of handfuls of Jedi lurking around the galaxy in hiding. But regardless, I can also see why a cartoon targeted at kids might NOT want to end with the character that the kids are supposed to identify with being slaughtered by her mentor.

While my adult attitude is "Sorry, dude. She's a Jedi? She dies," I get the reasons behind this, and I'd have overruled Lucas, too. It's nice to know people are doing that even if their material is prone to being retconned at a moment's notice.

I am curious to see what characters they use for the heroic action roles. Dodonna, Ackbar, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma do not seem to fit the bill. Depending on the timeframe they pick up the story, will characters like Wedge be old enough to be affiliated in the rebellion? Will we see Major Derlin in all his glory? Will a plucky tween Leia making an appearance? Will new characters fill the role? Will most episodes focus on a group of droids and they brave frog-like leader? Confused? You won't be after this episode of Soap.

:lol

Soap. Wow. THAT'S a callback...

I'd expect they'll show mostly new characters with the occasional appearance by some of the higher ups. I'm also curious to see whether other figures from the EU will survive like, say, Garm Bel Iblis.

Honestly though? I hope we don't see much, if any, of them. Perhaps a younger Mon Mothma taking on more of a Leia role in her younger years but I would rather not see Ackbar and DEFINITELY not Leia. I'd like to see new characters.

I haven't followed the CW cartoon, but I can understand Lucas' position there. "No, ALL the Jedi are dead except for Obi-Wan and Yoda."

Thing is, the EU has played pretty fast and loose with this. There's always been the possibility of handfuls of Jedi lurking around the galaxy in hiding. But regardless, I can also see why a cartoon targeted at kids might NOT want to end with the character that the kids are supposed to identify with being slaughtered by her mentor.

While my adult attitude is "Sorry, dude. She's a Jedi? She dies," I get the reasons behind this, and I'd have overruled Lucas, too. It's nice to know people are doing that even if their material is prone to being retconned at a moment's notice.

Doesn't the CW series end before ROTS? If that's the case we never need to see Ashoka die in the series as the Jedi haven't been purged yet.

Personally I like the idea that all of the "official" Jedi (known to the council) are exterminated in the purge which would mean that Ashoka is one of them. The Jedi who weren't recognized by the order could still be around but anyone in the records would have been hunted down IMHO.

There is still a season left that will be released in some way so still a lot of things can happen. Ashoka left the Jedi order. No word on the future of her story but some talk seems to indicate that she will be in the remaining episodes. I speculate that she will join the guy who is fighting a rebellion on his world that she has been interested in. The previous shows sort of build to this happening. After the war, if she stays low key and does not build and flash around lightsaber. There is no reason why she cannot move on. We know Jedi can survive by staying doing this based on obi and yoda. The purge is EU and not true canon so until it is addressed on screen in some way, we have to consider that the empire is content with the results of order 66.

Honestly though? I hope we don't see much, if any, of them. Perhaps a younger Mon Mothma taking on more of a Leia role in her younger years but I would rather not see Ackbar and DEFINITELY not Leia. I'd like to see new characters.

I got to think that Leia will be in the series in some way even as a secondary character that appears from time to time. Bail Organa we know is instrumental in the rebellion stating from his actions in ROTS and from the info discussed by Leia in ANH. If I am correct, and Bail is a main character, then I do not think you can avoid Leia. Of course her age is dependent on the year after ROTS The series starts.

I got to think that Leia will be in the series in some way even as a secondary character that appears from time to time. Bail Organa we know is instrumental in the rebellion stating from his actions in ROTS and from the info discussed by Leia in ANH. If I am correct, and Bail is a main character, then I do not think you can avoid Leia. Of course her age is dependent on the year after ROTS The series starts.

Maybe I'm just hoping for a more "grassroots" rebellion series and not the higher up crap that Bail would be involved in I guess. I can see him as a very distant secondary character but if he was too overt in his actions and overly involved he would have been a target long before ANH. He's a politician, I'd rather not have a series about a politician. ;)

A rebellion forces individuals to accept new roles. Some of these individuals we think of as standing in a command room listening to the battle most likely earned that place by being active in the grass roots of the rebellion. Leia was a senator. Padme was a queen and senator. Palpatine was a senator and chancellor. I guess in the SW galaxy, politics is more exciting. :lol

The purge is EU and not true canon so until it is addressed on screen in some way, we have to consider that the empire is content with the results of order 66.

True although it's never stated that Order 66 was limited to the montage we saw. I always had the impression though that it was pretty complete based on what we see and hear in the six films. Vader's told he is the last of his kind (partly true), Obi & Yoda only know of two "others" (Luke & Leia), Jedi are shown being betrayed, killed, and hunted in a crappy montage in ROTS which would suggest further action.

As a known Jedi (even if no longer part of the order, I've only seen some of the first season of CW) Ashoka would have a huge target on her head and the disadvantage of not knowing about the purge until it was likely too late. Anything can happen though!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess in the SW galaxy, politics is more exciting. :lol

I guess so! :lol

Although not based on how it was portrayed in the PT... ;)

Solo4114 said:
Stop.

What Lucas said doesn't matter.

Well good then that opens it up for Disney to stick talking lightsabers in the movie...

What Lucas said no longer matters anymore. In my opinion, if it wasn't on the screen, it's just another bit of EU fluff that can be treated like the food at a Chinese buffet: taken or left as the consumer sees fit.

It's not EU. In the ROTS script, they refer to the red Clonetroopers that retrieve Anakin and search the Senate Rotunda for Yoda as Stormtroopers.

Since Yoda reprogrammed the beacon at the temple to warn jedi of the attack, I can see were it may be possible some survived the initial purge. So maybe there would be a window into having jedi involved in the new series. It would still feel like "cheating" the story to do so IMO. If there were jedi involved in the rebellion before Obi in SW, there likley would have been some discussion of it in the OT. The only reason I can see to include them in the new show is to get kids to watch (including Ahsoka would do that! :lol). To the general audience, Jedi/Lightsabers = Star Wars :D

any Jedi in hiding and waiting for the right moment to strike wouldn't necessarily need to be a part of or even be aware of the fledgling rebel alliance. (Kind of akin to special forces and CIA operatives at work in Iraq, Afghanistan etc before any marines or Army, Airforce, Navy are involved in the conflict.)
Not only would these Jedi not be aware of a rebel alliance forming but may not be aware of even of each other (other surviving and hiding Jedi) Perhaps kind of Ronin type Jedi looking for answers as to what the hell happened and maybe not knowing the full extent of the jedi purge and only knowing Sith are now in power and need to be stopped. I don't think we will see a lot of episodes of jedi but we will certainly see some because as you said, Star Wars = Jedi and lightsabers so its bound to be in there!

.... Vader's told he is the last of his kind (partly true), Obi & Yoda only know of two "others" (Luke & Leia), Jedi are shown being betrayed, killed, and hunted in a crappy montage in ROTS which would suggest further action.

Tarkin said this in New Hope and just assumed so (he wasn't aware of Yoda and ObiWan so obviously Vader wasn't the last of his kind) Also Star Wars Rebels is set between Rots and New Hope so by the time Tarkin states Vader is the last of that religion that could be true at that point but not a few days prior to the events we saw in New Hope :D ... We could very well see other Jedi coming out of hiding from time to time and Tarkin could say, "there, you see now Lord Vader, you are now the last of your kind... wait, I think there is another Jedi coming up behind you!... okay, NOW you are the last of your kind Lord Vader... wait... a Jedi has just snuck up on us.. ah, NOW you are the last of ... wait... :D

Tarkin said this in New Hope and just assumed so (he wasn't aware of Yoda and ObiWan so obviously Vader wasn't the last of his kind) Also Star Wars Rebels is set between Rots and New Hope so by the time Tarkin states Vader is the last of that religion that could be true at that point but not a few days prior to the events we saw in New Hope :D ... We could very well see other Jedi coming out of hiding from time to time and Tarkin could say, "there, you see now Lord Vader, you are now the last of your kind... wait, I think there is another Jedi coming up behind you!... okay, NOW you are the last of your kind Lord Vader... wait... a Jedi has just snuck up on us.. ah, NOW you are the last of ... wait... :D

That's why I said "partly true". Vader is the last openly practicing of his religion. :)

Fair points though from all. It just seems to me personally that as cool as lightsabers are the galaxy should be devoid of Jedi in the latter end of this period. In the few years following ROTS there's a hunting but then they're gone leading up to ANH. Obi and Yoda hid because they had a greater purpose, to watch over and then train Anakin's children. I can't imagine that Jedi all over the galaxy would just hide for 20 years because they were afraid, they would try and do something about it and, seeing as they aren't around by ANH it's clear that they would fail resulting in their deaths.

Any other story line and it diminishes the importance of the OT. Luke isn't nearly as important, he doesn't have to rebuild the Jedi order, there are others out there. Hell, if a neophyte can successfully challenge Vader why didn't other more accomplished Jedi try?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back