Star Trek Into Darkness replicas

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Was there a general thread for this already? I swear I caught a glimpse of some new Starfleet (or civilian) weaponry beyond the standard phaser...

stid-img-006-t.jpg

stid-img-011-t.jpg

stid-t1-18-tt.jpg

Star+Trek+Into+Darkness+Uhura+disruptor.jpg

Star+Trek+Into+Darkness+Qo%2527noS.jpg

startrekintodarkness-cumberbatch-closeup-tsr2.jpg

LJpcT6V.jpg

Last edited:
@ alienscollection.com

The top three pics are of the "Knormian" phaser. What I can tell you about that phaser is that John Eaves was the illustrator that created it. As I was working on all the hero phasers, I designed the CAD and built the hero masters, of the Knormian Phaser, for Rick Gamez who was also working on the film. Rick then took my masters, pulled molds, and built up all of those. It was a pleasure tag teaming that one with him..... he's a great friend.

@back55

even though I worked on the film, I have no idea what phaser that was that was pointed at Scotty. I could make a few phone calls and see if I can come up with some pics or at least some info.

Thanks for the info KCP - is there anywhere online to see better/clearer pics of these?

Awesome work by the way - definitely caught my eye...

Glad to see that that KCP is helping to finally get us a replica of the phaser with a motorized stun/kill feature. I've been waiting for one of these for a while. just hope it's not going to end up costing over a grand (which I'm guessing it probably will :cry)

I already preordered the blu-ray set with the phaser on Amazon. $80 isn't bad for that at all.

The pistol in the Uhura pic is Klingon - that was done at The Hand Prop Room, along with the bat'leths and the BFG that "John Harrison" uses in that sequence.

The Phaser/ Bluray set looks like a great offering. I may get that since I missed the phaser the first time around.

For those that have the first phaser, what is the quality like?

The Phaser/ Bluray set looks like a great offering. I may get that since I missed the phaser the first time around.

For those that have the first phaser, what is the quality like?

Not bad at all. It's mighty cool looking, heavy, & makes a great display piece.

Having just come back from watching Start Trek into Darkness, I was of course, throughout the film, looking out for new props :lol

To be honest, the Phaser is identical except for an inverted colour black / grey on the top and the handle, compared to the first one. And the rotating stun/kill barrel of course. Communicator looks identical too. Tricorder is seen very briefly, so no opinion on that yet.

Back to the phaser, I am not getting the latest version, as I don't think having another 'identical' one that just has a manually rotating barrel justifies the expense.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sbs.jpg
    sbs.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 5,081
We've also got an updated Starfleet Academy ring. This one is apparently going to be cast from the same molds QMX used to make the props for the film. This looks much nicer, in my opinion at least, than the previous ring.
View attachment 187046

Here's a question. Someone please illuminate me.

I've been waiting for a ST 2009 ring for ages, yet I have not seen them on sale in stock anywhere. Not even on the QMX website.

So they're doing an Into Darkness Academy ring, and the first one hasn't been made available yet :confused ?

If it is available, I'd like to buy one.

So if anyone knows where, please point me in the right direction :)

even though I worked on the film, I have no idea what phaser that was that was pointed at Scotty. I could make a few phone calls and see if I can come up with some pics or at least some info.

At least one of the guys who worked on these was recently banned from the RPF. Bummer.

Allen Castillo

All the Super Heros, Heros, and Tear Down phasers, that I made for Into Darkness is different and not identical to the 2009. The heros from 2009 had a totally different handle, had no lens or functioning rotary setting on top, had a ton of visible bolts holding the thing together, and the paint was different. So to say the phaser is identical is not correct.

With that said... the phaser QMx made for the film is the same design they had for the QMx 2009 replica but is now utilizing a magnetic hold for the manual rotate of the barrels that I developed for my tear downs in the film. QMx states that their phasers are pulls directly from the same molds. They are referring to their molds off their replicas... not my heros in the movie. If QMx provided background phasers for the film, I can not confirm what they may have provided and that could be the molds they are referring to. However, all the phasers on screen are mine... so I don't know where their backgrounds would be. Could have been cut out of the final edit. The phaser they are releasing with the dvd set, according to their site, will be spring loaded. I will be putting an article together so i will confirm what exactly they will be producing.

Now, the animatronic 2014 phaser they mentioned on their site would be mine. I mentioned to them that I would love to make a limited edition of the hero phaser I made for the film. I just want to be clear on a few things so there's not misunderstanding. I hope this helps clear up some questions.

Cheers,
Kenney

Last edited by a moderator:
@Allen Castillo

All the Super Heros, Heros, and Tear Down phasers, that I made for Into Darkness is different and not identical to the 2009. The heros from 2009 had a totally different handle, had no lens or functioning rotary setting on top, had a ton of visible bolts holding the thing together, and the paint was different. So to say the phaser is identical is not correct.

I was not referring to the one used on screen Kenny. What I wrote referred to the side by side pictures of the two made by QMX.

... which we agree on :thumbsup :

[MENTION=10002]

With that said... the phaser QMx is making for sale through the DVD release etc is of the same design they had for the QMx 2009 release they had but is now utilizing a magnetic hold for the manual rotate of the barrels that I developed for my tear downs in the film.

... and is why I am not going to buy the Into Darkness QMX version, because a 'manual' rotating barrel, IMO, does not 'justify' me spending money on an almost identical static prop for display.

Alan Castillo

Gotcha :)

Sorry, just wanted to make sure that everyone knows the difference and don't get upset because they saw my heros on set and then buy the DVD limited edition and then say it doesn't look the same. QMx, i believe, mentioned they made background phasers and that's what they are selling. They said "stunts" but in my industry, a "stunt" is a soft prop for the stunt guys. I think they are referring to background pieces. I can't confirm that cause I had nothing to do with that. I know they did do work on the film and I'm sure they'll talk about that at some point. I do know they at least made the rings and some models found on the desk in the admiral's office.

hey kenney,

great meeting you at wonderfest...i was the guy with the 20 questions about phasers (or one of the many people badgering you about details). thanks again for telling my daughter the story about how you started out and got into the prop biz...and thanks for all the cool stuff you showed us on your laptop.

what a treat to see the hero phasers and talk to the craftsman who built them.

saw the movie the next day with family & friends -- we all loved it.

looking forward to updates on the animatronic versions.

ted

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back