Star Trek Into Darkness replicas

So yeah I know I'm being a bit OCD, (and yes I know I could most likely just ask Got Maul), but did anyone else notice that the insignias look different from the QMX versions?

Yep. Noticed it first viewing. They look flatter, with less of a framing ridge. (The outer raised portion looks smaller.)

I'm curious about the phaser pointed at Scotty by the USS Vengence crewmember.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/p480x480/376917_471155579632262_2009754272_n.png
376917_471155579632262_2009754272_n.png

I like the new color scheme, but it should have been carried even further- as in the illustrations in the '09 art book on the movie. More like the paint scheme on the classics- gray, charcoal, and bronze-ish. Also, even though any semblance of science and functionality seems to have gone out the window with the design, it would be cool if some of these aspects could be retrofitted to the new phaser. I think we were all hoping for something closer to Scott Nakada's design for Star Trek Continues than what we got. But that's what happens when people who value style over substance are involved. (Matt Jefferies, boy do we miss you!)

Knormian is the ship they used to go to Kronos. "Knormian phaser" has two implications: 1 The weapon is of alien (Knormian) origin, or 2 It's just to identify a weapon used on board that ship (similar to saying Kelvin phaser). It's unclear because the point was for them to not be associated with the Fed. IMO, it's an Earth civilian weapon. Looks a little like a BSG sidearm to me.

I really like the upgrade to the 09 phaser for Into Darkness. I already liked the 09 version but now it's even better...So double awesome!

Knormian is the ship they used to go to Kronos. "Knormian phaser" has two implications: 1 The weapon is of alien (Knormian) origin, or 2 It's just to identify a weapon used on board that ship (similar to saying Kelvin phaser). It's unclear because the point was for them to not be associated with the Fed. IMO, it's an Earth civilian weapon. Looks a little like a BSG sidearm to me.

Oh that one. Are there any pics of it? I've tried finding some, but I've had no luck.

QuasiOdo

What art work are you referring to from the 2009 film? My new color scheme is very close to that. Unless there was some other art that was done but never got a sign off. At that point, it would never reach my hands. As for the classics.... I did design and build a modern classic phaser which I showed to the fans at Wonderfest. I did place that in front of Bad Robot but that wanted to stick with the 2009 design because of the timeline. Once I get my article done, you will get to see that. I thought it was evry cool. I stuck with all the original colors from TOS. My opinion on the 2009 phaser colors is this..... why would any police force or peace keeping organization have any weapon shiny enough to cast a reflection? LOL KInd of gives off a signature to the enemy. But, that's my opinion. To be honest, myself as well as the illustrators are at the mercy of the production designers, prop masters, directors etc etc. We get paid to design and build what they want. On occasion we get to put a little of ourselves in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
redshirt

I have various seats of software which I use. My primary design software is Solidworks. If I need to go organic, I use Rhino and then bring that back into Solidworks. I also use T-Splines to connect the two pieces of software. I also use Maya for when I need to work with other studios.... like WETA. For machining, I use Mastercam. Those are my primary designing tools. If I'm just sketching, I use sketchbook pro or Photoshop.

- - - Updated - - -
laserpistol76

Yes that's a Klingon bat'leth

redshirt

I'm currently discussing where the article will ultimately end up... but you guys will know as soon as I figure that out. As for the 2014 animatronic phaser I'm not a replica builder and don't want to deal with all the politics involved with licensing etc. I'm a prop fabricator for the film industry and that's where I'm staying. With that said, QMx has the licensing and I'm in discussions with them to build them and sell through them. I'm going to let them bring them to market. I'm already preparing for the feedback from the fans on the costs. There's not much I can do there... shy of building them for free. :) There is so much work that goes into each one of those and there's no way I can just pull a mold of of these and make copies. The design will not allow for a mold because of all the cavities and tunnels built into the walls for wiring etc. This piece can only be printed and hand made. I'm not going to idealize them in any way shape or form to cut costs. If that was the case... I would just recommend fans buy a QMx stunt. I'm going to build these exactly as I did for production. If someone wants the ultimate Star Trek phaser, this will be it. This is not a replica..... you would be buying a movie prop.

I hope that helps answer any questions about all that. I really don't want to go into the 2014 release anymore as that is a future project and still in open discussions with QMx.

@redshirt

I have various seats of software which I use. My primary design software is Solidworks. If I need to go organic, I use Rhino and then bring that back into Solidworks. I also use T-Splines to connect the two pieces of software. I also use Maya for when I need to work with other studios.... like WETA. For machining, I use Mastercam. Those are my primary designing tools. If I'm just sketching, I use sketchbook pro or Photoshop.

- - - Updated - - -
@laserpistol76

Yes that's a Klingon bat'leth

I know that's a bat'leth, but it just looks too weird to not be one.

Captain April

Thanks for the offer my friend. However, the model in its current form can not be molded. I have channels (literally tunnels running in the walls for my wires). I also have complex cavities with runners. You can not mold cores in something like this or I would have done it. I have two degrees in engineering and I also have machine background in molds. Trust me.... this is not going to be molded without losing a lot of the model and function. I had to CAD it this way to lose all the bolt locations that were in the 2009 phaser. Then even more so to add the electronics and servo. Then a rotated guide channel for the servo wires to move in a circular fashion so they don't kink. The entire phaser goes together in a kind of a puzzel in a specific order. The last piece holds the piece before it in place. Then there are two screw locations holding all of that in place. I could just reCAD for a simple design and mold for a production run but then there would be significant changes and have to lose the animatronics. This thing is a very complex build and tiny at that. I appreciate the offer but its not happening on this prop brother. :)

On page 109 in "The Art of the Film." And I now DO see how the re-work resembles the illustration. Much better. And CHROME weapons? That's the kind of nonsense that bugs me... and, like, everyone. Really interested to see your submitted designs. Thanks!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back