Release agent for silicone mould of latex original?

Well... I'd first make sure that whatever silicone you plan to use does not inhibit around latex. Look for tin-based instead of platinum. I've never tried this so not sure what sort of mold-release to use on a latex original. I've used ease-release for other sculpts, and sometimes don't bother at all if its an uncomplicated shape (silicone doesn't stick to much!)

Even tin based silicone can be inhibited by the sulfur contained in latex. You don't need a mold release as much as you need a sealer to keep the silicone from actually touching the latex.

Even tin based silicone can be inhibited by the sulfur contained in latex. You don't need a mold release as much as you need a sealer to keep the silicone from actually touching the latex.

Right. I'd do a small test before I tried to do anything. How is the latex sealed? You could try using a clear plasti-dip coat on top, maybe?

I've had success with just silicone on the latex, but I wouldn't ever recommend it.
Depending on how solid the latex is I'd suggest Clear Coat. Lots of clear coat. If its flimsy it'll crack it though. If its flimsy you may want to foam fill it or stuff it very well.

Always test a small bit in an inconspicuous area just to make sure it doesn't inhibit the silicone cure.

Sounds like a re-cast?
Any silicone can have issue with latex, proceed with caution and do a small scale test before doing major work.

If he's making a urethane copy of a latex master mould then he should be fine.

If not, you might want to read up on the views of recasting in this board.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back