Harry Potter Boathouse Model

That's gobsmackingly beautiful! Now I am shamed into redoing my boathouse ~1/100 scale:

shipit.jpg

Click on thumbnail above

I especially admire your leaded window glasswork - what techniques/materials did you use?

-Cgraham

Last edited:
That's gobsmackingly beautiful! Now I am shamed into redoing my boathouse ~1/100 scale:

View attachment 196731

Click on thumbnail above

I especially admire your leaded window glasswork - what techniques/materials did you use?

-Cgraham

Wow, that's awesome! Really well done! :)

Thank You :) The windows were laser-etched in perspex and then I rubbed indian ink into them to get the leaded effect :)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, you should make a kit, that's fantastic!

Haha, I'd love to see this in kit form...I think it would be quite a challenge haha!!

I love this!! I've always loved miniature buildings that are fully detailed inside & out & you've done an excellent job of this, Inspiring! :)
:thumbsup

For anyone interested in miniature building....I recently found myself presenting my folio to the man who was in charge of building the 'real' Hogwarts miniature used in the Harry Potter films. Luckily, he loved my model (phew!!!), but gave me a tip for scale windows like this. He said that he uses acetate and etches the lattice pattern onto it on both sides of the material. This makes the acetate buckle slightly and so when the model is lit, the light "kicks" off the windows, like a real church window.

Top tip from one of the best miniature builders in the industry there, and as some of you guys were asking how I'd made my model, I just thought I'd share that! :)

Also, thanks again for all the kind compliments :)

Not been on this site for awhile..came across your HP Boathouse....fantastic job....excellent detail. I wouldn't even know how to begin. well done..have you still got it?

This is stunning work. Well done!

The only problem is now I want my own laser cutter :) Not that i would be able to get close to this quality.

Mind... blown....

What method does he use to etch the pattern into the acetate? By the way - great work man!!

I would assume that the acetate is laser-etched....I can't imagine it would be scribed by hand. There could be other methods I'm not aware of though :) And thank you so much! :-D

- - - Updated - - -

Not been on this site for awhile..came across your HP Boathouse....fantastic job....excellent detail. I wouldn't even know how to begin. well done..have you still got it?

Thank you so so much! That means a lot. Yes, I still have it :)

- - - Updated - - -

I love it. Are you gonna do another house from harry potter? Hagrids hut perhaps..

I'd love to do another model like this again, I now work full time as an architectural model maker in London, so lack time to build my own models :-( I must be more organised and MAKE the time to do it!!!

I'm not sure I fancy doing another Harry Potter model at the moment, I have been eyeing up some pieces of architecture from "The Hobbit" films though....so I think they may be next!! I'll have to get organised and sort it out or these things will never get done!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back