Emerald City ComiCon 2014 - Updated 03/25/14

Re: Emerald City ComiCon 2014 - Updated 03/08/14

Sunday Panel Schedule

Highlights:
* I need a hero! - Garth joins Patrick Rothfuss (author of the massively best-selling Kingkiller Chronicles) to talk the hero's journey and creating heroic characters.
* From Page to Screen - I'm pulling moderating duty again, chatting with Lorna Suzuki (author of the Imago Chronicles), John Gallagher (concept artist for shows like Once upon a Time and Defiance), and K.L. Young, a local screen writer. Lorna's had her books optioned for film, the first of which is going into production this year, and John is her concept artist. The three of them will talk about the journey to take a property from page to screen!

Table Signing Schedule
Self-explanatory, I think. This will give you guys a good idea of when you can find me at the table to have a RPF meet-n-greet! :D

Looking forward to seeing the skeksis costume haha, such a classic movie.
Have a promised set of tickets for saturday now (off craigslist)... just need to pick them up tonight (crossing fingers)...
And thanks for the heads up on the party :)

Re: Emerald City ComiCon 2014 - Updated 03/11/14

THIS is pretty frakkin' sweet!

[h=3]The ECCC 2014 Cinema Series![/h]Four nights! Four movies! 4 actors! We are proud to partner with the Seattle Cinerama for our 2014 ECCC Cinema Series: a showing of each film and a Q&A with one of our celebrity guests. Admission for each film is $25/person (an ECCC badge does not provide entry to this event.)

Thursday March 27 brings you a screening of the fan-favorite The Princess Bride movie with the Dread Pirate Roberts himself, Cary Elwes!

On the following evening, Friday March 28, it's a showing of Serenitywith Alan Tudyk (Wash)!

On Saturday March 29, Dredd comes to town with star Karl Urban, production designer Jock, and the writer of the official comic sequel, Arthur Wyatt!

And finally, The Terminator is back with star Michael Biehn (Kyle Reese)!

Buy tickets and find more information on the event page.

Heyo RPF ECCC attendees/participants/etc. I'm pretty new at the whole con thing, as well as cosplay in general so I had a few basic ECCC questions for the crew. I'm definitely going to try and get to the saturday event. I plan to wear my buzz lightyear costume from halloween since I spent so much time on it, may as well get some more mileage!
On a side note, I'm an idiot and waited far too long to figure out my plan - I see saturday tickets are sold out by now, but hopefully Craigslist will come through. So let's say I get a ticket.

The only con I've been to so far was also ECCC (I had heard interesting stuff, and as I live in Seattle it was easy, so I went I think it was two years ago, as Bender and had a ton of fun) but it was a bit of a whirlwind with people wanting pics so that I felt like I didn't get to really experience things as well as maybe if I had not worn a costume. Obviously I loved the attention but I wasn't sure if I was really "doing it right." My buddy and I also totally screwed up and got in every line late enough to miss the darn panels except one on vector graphics which was super cool. I was especially upset that we missed the futurama panel. I also see that there's an after party on Saturday which also has some sort of costume contest with various themes.

In your experienced opinion does it make sense to costume it up the whole time, or maybe just suit up for the costume party? I think I only have time to do one day, or maybe I'd hit a different day without costume.
Is the costume party good for people like my wife/friends who won't necessarily have a costume but want to join me?
For panels and other seated events do you sort of hover at the side of the room when your costume doesn't fit in a chair, or you can't sit down? What are your thoughts on that part of it?
Anyway, whatever sort of good lessons you guys have would be helpful.

And I hope like hell I can get a ticket and see you all there!

Glad to see you got a ticket. The Costume contest on Saturday night is already full up. If you didn't get an invite to participate already, there is a waiting list. As far as wearing your costume the whole day.......... It's up to you. I'm going on Sat in just my plain clotes and then suiting up for pre-judging at 12:00. Then I'll stroll around a bit and then dress back down till just before the contest that night, weather I make pre-judging or not. With your Awesome lookin BUZZ, I would hope you wear it for a while, I'm sure you'll see a lot of folks that want pic's with ya....

I'd recommend if you want to enjoy the Con not to wear your suit. I spend most of the day running around and taking pictures with an occasional chance to look at stuff. When I want to enjoy the Con I just go as "Peter Parker" and no one really knows I'm Spiderman.

Thanks Peek, appreciate the info :D
And I'll see you guys out there!

- - - Updated - - -

Who all is going to ECCC? Would like to get together and meet local RPF'ers or whoever is around town.

I am presenting at the Intro to Cosplay Crafts panel on Friday at 11am. I will be wearing my Diablo 3 armor then and also on Saturday for the Costume Party contest.

Theduggo: my advise to ECCC newbies and convention cosplqy newbies is to plan ahead what panels you want to go to, get in line at least an hour early (if a line is already forming then), and also plan on when you will want to roam the exhibition hall and artist alley.

Plan your cosplay time accordingly, expecting that you don't want to be wearing cosplay while shopping or visiting artists, (unless your cosplay is tame enough that people will not stop you for pictures). The last thing you want to do is get swarmed by photographers while you are standing in front of an artist's table they spent over $300 on, keeping them from attracting passers-by and making money.

I usually go multiple days and don't cosplay on one day so I can see everything. Friday I may take off my armor after lunch since I will be wearing it all day Saturday. It really helps to park close by if you don't have a hotel room, so you can change at the car. Keep a costume repair kit at your car too! Just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be entering the costume contest with my group on Saturday! I have nearly finished this version of Rogue :D
Rogue-rogue-15210027-1790-2560.jpg

Thanks for the advice Avalyn and acesh007!
I will hopefully be parking close by (there is a garage under the convention center I think...) and will wear buzz for just part of the day to allow me to hit up tables and walk around without logistics issues and get more enjoyment out of the content of the event while also getting to show off my work for a bit after :D

Hey everyone. I'll be there all weekend, too.

This'll be about year 7 for me at ECCC. My personal preference is to go "civilian" style on Friday and check out most of the things I want to then. It's the quieter day and usually easiest to get around. Then I costume up for the majority of Saturday. Then it's if the mood suits me to I suit up on Sunday.

Just a heads up the ECCC costume party is not a party in the traditional sense. It is a costume contest and generally has a large seating area for anyone to take a load off their feet and watch. They often times have additional types of entertainment that goes on stage other than the costume contest. But don't mistake it for a meet and greet type of thing.

Theduggo:
Yes there is a parking lot right underneath the convention center but it fills up quick! Don't worry though, there are quite a few parking lots within a block or two of the convention center.

I'll be dressed in my usual Batman garb:

_204.jpg

Re: Emerald City ComiCon 2014 - Updated 03/21/14

I think this is actually pretty awesome. Clare was very sweet last time she was at ECCC so it's great to see her returning:

03.20.2014 Clare Kramer to Host at ECCC

532b7b6eccca8_01.jpeg

Clare Kramer (best known as Glory in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) from GeekNation.com (the website she co-founded) will be hosting all the celebrity panels in our Main Hall this year! Having conducted hundreds of interviews, we’re excited that Clare will be taking time out of her filming schedule to interview the celebrity guests appearing at ECCC.

I love to costume and all, but I have too much I wanna do, so I go "Peter Parker" style and just blend in. I don't want to get stopped every few feet for photos and miss panels and the photo op schedule.

It's gonna be an awesome weekend!

I'm already starting to pack up my gear for the show and finishing work on my notes for the panels I'm participating in/moderating.

I'm cool so far, but I expect there'll be at least one minor panic attack before we head down. :)

Aw, sad news today. Cary Elwes had to drop out due to getting a new gig and having to go film. No word yet on the status of tickets to the Princess Bride screening, but the organizers have promised to have news on that soon.

Also, Rick Fox dropped out, though there's no reason given why...

Heck yeah! I think there were a couple RPF members. I can't remember who off the top of my head, but one was a Borderlands Mechromancer.

My Dark Crystal Skeksis costume is almost complete (enough for now), I'll be the 6'5" Skeksis in a red velvet cloak Saturday, hehe! I hope I don't scare too many small children, or get rained on too bad...

Yeah, Schlitzie, I took third place in the masters competition! :)

I'll be in my various Spider-men, Red Hood and Commander Wolffe for the weekend. I will have to end up checking out the prop making panel on Friday.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back