Jayne Cobb's "Vera" from Firefly (3D printed parts - Image Heavy)

who shot first!?

IMG_3547.jpg

Of course Jayne shot first. Like that's ever going to be in question!

The images of your costume and great Vera builds put a big smile on my face. I'm assuming you made one for display and one for cons.

I do have a questions, and I apologize if it's been asked, I didn't see it though. How sturdy are these plastics? I have no experience with these kinds of materials.

Thanks in advance. And again. Fantastic work! I just love seeing the new builds being made with 3D printers.

I'm a sexy geek! Nice!

As for the strength/durability of this prop... I built two and brought both to con, just in case one got broken.
Well, I just wrapped up a 3-day march on the floor, and I never had to pull out the reserve. :)
She fared just great!
Now, remember, the build also includes Apoxie and a few other strengthening components, but yeah, it worked great.
I will be making other items using these methods.

I don't see why not.
It would just depend on how much cleanup is done prior to making the mold. But honestly, cleanup on cast resin would be pretty easy.
Not to hijack but I've been down this road several times, trying to get runs off the ground, both machined metal AND resin. I've even been discussing it lately with Morganthirteen (who is one of THE best casters around), as a possible project to do after our Lawgiver run is finished (and maybe after the Oblivion Pistol).

The problem is that every time, the numbers just don't add up in the end. There are never enough interested people to justify the work in doing a "proper" Vera resin kit in multiple parts. Lots of people SAY they want one but when it's time to get things rolling, it all goes silent. I've had interest threads written up, ready to post, but held off.

For a Vera kit run to make sense, I'd like to see almost flawless castings- no air bubbles, barely noticeable mod lines or other artifacts. Since Vera contains so many parts that are completely different in color, it becomes more important as painting her up would a masking-tape-nightmare. Sure, you can split it into "chunks" but unless you have a MASTER at casting (like M13 or Matsuo) there will be lots to clean up. You almost get stuck between a rock and a hard place- do you do lots of (costly) molds for each piece or fewer (but difficult) molds full of risky undercuts and things? Weight is also a factor- it would be great as a rotocast kit as opposed to a solid-cast chunk.

Not saying it's impossible... because it can certainly be done. I only doubt if it's worthwhile or not.

Oh, yeah... Casting the entire piece would be a train wreck. I was just thinking about casting individual components.

If I ever offer a "kit" of the printed parts, the number I'd ever sell would make it easier and more economical to just print more. Yeah, it will cost more than resin, but the molds for such a small run would likely be comparable in cost.

I've been asked about offering kits enough times that I'm planning on printing another single complete set and actually logging how much machine time and material gets used, then figuring a price. I'll keep everyone posted.

I agree with joatrash , most of it ...though is what would be efficent , the resin kit form or the way , that Coryalex made his....price wise for alot of people , is the main factor...people have a hard time coming up with a bulk sum of money , due to prior obligations or just get behind on bills due to unforseen events, in either case...there are a few , who would follow thru now and others who can follow thru later.......I know if I had prior knowledge of someone coming out with a production run , I know I would try my best to prepare, with a few months notice....I really would like to hear what the costs difference might be (hypathetically speaking) with a Coryalex prop design , or a morganthirteen resin cast design...either way , I would like to have one, but as you said most people will fade out and disappear, because they just dont have the money, but keep in mind , there still is others who will.....just my opinion

I've been asked about offering kits enough times that I'm planning on printing another single complete set
and actually logging how much machine time and material gets used, then figuring a price.
I'll keep everyone posted.

That sounds like a wise approach.
My interest would be in a basic set straight out of the printer.
I can't pay someone else to do finish work.
Also, some parts I would use as patterns to recreate, in whole or in part, in metal.

Price is always an issue, but if given decent notice on the approximate price point,
(a month, I suppose?)
I can usually swing anything reasonable.

Mike

I agree with joatrash , most of it ...though is what would be efficent , the resin kit form or the way , that Coryalex made his....price wise for alot of people , is the main factor...people have a hard time coming up with a bulk sum of money , due to prior obligations or just get behind on bills due to unforseen events, in either case...there are a few , who would follow thru now and others who can follow thru later.......I know if I had prior knowledge of someone coming out with a production run , I know I would try my best to prepare, with a few months notice....I really would like to hear what the costs difference might be (hypathetically speaking) with a Coryalex prop design , or a morganthirteen resin cast design...either way , I would like to have one, but as you said most people will fade out and disappear, because they just dont have the money, but keep in mind , there still is others who will.....just my opinion

If you're just going to do 2-3 (or even up to five) copies, making molds is probably not viable. Just print 'em and sell 'em. If you break Vera down "properly", you're looking at 25+ molds... that's maybe a a grand or two if you're using quality silicone for material alone. Then you have to cast the thing... all those parts- and I'm not talking cheapo-recast-style, but good castings needing little cleanup or prep. Even at $500 per kit it's not really worth it if you do a total breakdown.

The most viable way to offer a cast kit is to split Vera down into 4-6 parts: barrel assembly (everything in front of the receiver), receiver and top scope rails with handle, magazine and stock. The scopes would have to be done separate or not included (you can buy replicas for airsofts). The larger pieces would best be foam-filled (M13 did this with both the Lawgiver and his Aliens incinerator to spectacular results). Grip and other fragile pieces could likely have metal frame supports cast into them. Even so... it's a LOT of work. Still looking at a cost of 400-500 per kit (me just guessing wildly) if 10+ were made. If the interest was there...

I understand that....its like that old saying, you get what you pay for....quality like Morganthirteen does, is reasonable.....in regards to his work..

I was fortunate enough to meet Cory at Phoenix Comic Con this weekend. I also do a Jayne cosplay that I have put a LOT of time into. Seeing his Vera in person just reinforces how amazing it looks in the pictures. He really did a phenomenal job with her. I spoke with him quite a bit, and I REALLY hope he decides to do some parts runs, because I am definitely on board for one. I presented a panel at PCC called "I call her Vera". It was about all the iconic weapons Joss Whedon has introduced us to in his various shows. I asked Cory to be on my panel to showcase Vera, and I really think she stole the show. He was also gracious enough to let me hold her for a photo op. Veramoe.jpg

It was a pleasure to have met Mobiuscorpus at PhoenixCon this weekend. We did chat quite a bit, and it was very gracious of him to have invited me to bring my Vera to his panel. I had a ton of fun at Con as Jayne all weekend. When I get home, I'll post a really good photo Lightning Octopus took of me and my baby... Their photo seems to have done her the most justice.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back