Rub n Buff question

rhboyd

Sr Member
I've used some Silver Leaf rub n buff on a kit I'm making, but the darn stuff doesn't seem to be curing. Every time I pick it up, some of the silver comes off on my hands. Is this just the way it is? Do I need to seal it?. Am I not rub n buffing enough?. I diluted it with paint thinner to brush on, and it looks fab-o... I just can't touch it.

If anyone had any advice, I'd be grateful.

cheers,
-r.

What surface is it going onto i.e. matt paint/primer or a semi gloss/gloss surface? Also is there a chance you over thinned it? thus diluting the bonging agent too much.

I recently used some antique gold thinned down and it took a few hours to cure but was fine after that.

I don't think sealing an unstable surface will help. although I could be wrong.

I figured as much about the sealant... I applied it over a primered surface... which is supposed to be ok for either acrylic or enamel. The acrylics I've put down in other areas are fine... but the R+B is killing me. I buffed it, and it looks awesome... but it's forever leaving silver on my hands... wonder if it's too old....

thanks for the help.

-r.

If you want to seal it, you can airbrush some Future floor wax over the top which won't bother the R&B.

Straight outta the bottle. No need to thin it.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back