Skyrim: Black Dwarven Bow of Fate

Folkenstal

Hi guys

Ok, so one of my new projects will be the black dwarven bow of fate as seen in TES: Skyrim.
I'll post pictures of the progress now and then.
Will work with polypropylene sheets and Worbla, a material made of wood splints and glue. Google it, it's a nice thing to work with.

As I've no tools for woodwork, I'll just sculpt the whole thing with Worbla(I've a sheet left).

Here's the ingame graphic:

Dwarven_black_bow_of_fate.png

see ya,
Folkenstal

Here’s the making of the Skyrim Black Dwarven Bow of Fate.
I used a material called Worbla to construct the bow.

First of all, I printed a picture of the bow with the best resolution I could find.
Figured out the right size of it. Unfortunately, my bow is way too small. It’s about 100 cm in length. The bow ingame is kinda 150 cm.
My bad, but I just went on with the project.

5106161.jpg

I cut out the prints transfered them on sheets of polypropylene and cut them out, too.
This was my base I worked with.

5106163.jpg

Glued then all sheets of polypropylene together to get the final form of the bow.
Checked the form with the print out and the bow was ready to be sculpted on.
5106164.jpg

„Sculpted“ you ask?
Well, I had a lot of scraps of Worbla left, so I just thought I might use them.
Turned out, I had better used fresh Worbla sheets, because working with scraps is crap. It‘s a mess and the sculpt doesn‘t get as smooth as with whole sheets.
Anyway, I went on with it.
5106165.jpg

Ok, looks better when adding whole sheets of Worbla. So I covered lots of parts with them.
5116168.jpg

The form of the bow is visible, though.
5166195.jpg

Then after a lot of hopeless smoothing, I just decided to use polypropylene sheets to cover the rest. Straight, clean sheets that‘s how I like it :)

5186196.jpg

Drawing raw patterns here and there as a reminder.
5186197.jpg

Tried out a new technique with wood glue. Says it would smooth out the structure.
Well, it worked partially…
5186199.jpg

Adding more sheets of plastic to cover the ugly areas.
5186201.jpg

Then sculpting the other parts of the bow.
5186202.jpg

5186204.jpg

Looks much better now. Phew.
5196207.jpg

5196208.jpg

And here‘s a spray paint test with black an gold.
Will add a few layers of gold, then black and then slowly sanding the black coat away, until I get a hint of gold.
Like it the ingame picture.
I ordered a bow string for that one, but I don‘t think it could fire arrow even if I wanted to. This bow‘s made only for cosplay purposes.
52062201.jpg

final pictures coming soon…

I've never heard of Worbla either. It kinda looks like brown sugar strips stuck together when it's in scrap form. Lol The bow looks awesome so far, though! It's refreshing to see a totally different type of weapon prop between all of the guns people make.

Nice, came out really well

I'm about to start a summer long project to make all the bows from Skyrim, was contemplating a few ways of doing them. You've just added another possible method to my thoughts, cheers.

Looks real good man. Never heard of Worbla, looks like an interesting material

Thanks. Yeah, Worbla is nice to work with.

I've never heard of Worbla either. It kinda looks like brown sugar strips stuck together when it's in scrap form. Lol The bow looks awesome so far, though! It's refreshing to see a totally different type of weapon prop between all of the guns people make.

It smells like honey when heated. I like working with it :)
Thanks. I'm not much into guns, more into daggers and other fantasy props.

Nice, came out really well
I'm about to start a summer long project to make all the bows from Skyrim, was contemplating a few ways of doing them. You've just added another possible method to my thoughts, cheers.

Thanks. Yeah, why not trying a few things with Worbla.
I made my armor with it and many other props like here:

skyrim_banded_iron_armor___final_by_folkenstal-d60oe92.jpg

skyrim_iron_armor__leg_protection____wip_by_folkenstal-d5v6s0o.jpg

Unbelievable work. After clicking on the link to your site my very first thought was "oh no! My money!" :lol

I have been looking for a place where I can buy finished skyrim props for awhile. I will do my best to purchase some of your amazing work ASAP.

You're welcome :)
Didn't know Worbla was unknown to you guys here. It's a great material, I highly recommend it.

I just looked the stuff up this morning and its a fascinating material! Not inexpensive, but worth the price for what it can do.

Thank you again for introducing me to this wonderful material. :)

I just looked the stuff up this morning and its a fascinating material! Not inexpensive, but worth the price for what it can do.
Thank you again for introducing me to this wonderful material. :)

It is expensive, but it's worth the money. All of my armor I made with this.
You're welcome again.

Thank you, guys!
I'm glad my stuff looks authentic enough.

And here's the bow done and painted!
The bow string I ordered was too long… so there is no string at this moment.
It turned out quite nice, but the size is a bit off. 97cm length :(

see ya,
Folkenstal

skyrim_black_dwarven_bow_of_fate_by_folkenstal-d68acu4.jpg

Close-ups:
skyrim_black_dwarven_bow_of_fate___final__2__by_folkenstal-d6889mu.jpg

skyrim_black_dwarven_bow_of_fate___final_by_folkenstal-d6889b8.jpg

Where do you buy it? its kind of pricey...

Thanks. Yeah, Worbla is nice to work with.

It smells like honey when heated. I like working with it :)
Thanks. I'm not much into guns, more into daggers and other fantasy props.

Thanks. Yeah, why not trying a few things with Worbla.
I made my armor with it and many other props like here:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2..._iron_armor___final_by_folkenstal-d60oe92.jpg

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2...g_protection____wip_by_folkenstal-d5v6s0o.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back