Scrap-built spaceship

Wouldchop

Hallo!
This is my first post on theRPF.
I'm building a spaceship with found scrap-parts, inspired by their topology. When finished, the parts may still be
recognisable as where they originated from, but i like the whole to look like a proper spaceship.

I was kind of reluctant to post here, because my built seems offtopic by default, but i've been leeching long enough of the awesome threads here. Specially scratchbuilders, like thenylongag and yuumi2891103. Although my pile of scrap cant stand in the lights of the greatness here, i guess ill post it anyway.

It started a long time ago, when i learned the makers of starwars used a tennis shoe, a potatoe and printercartridges for props.
I started collecting a foldable shoppingcrate, a cd-rack, some dia-carousels, a fanpropellor and just a heap of scrap.
I wanted to use a little kitbashing too, and make use of a hot wire-technique to cut styrofoam.
The basic shape came out something like this:
scrap-built-spaceship-img_802.jpg-183757d1368463016

Further i want my ship to be:
-Big (like my height; 1,81m)
-Sturdy and displayable
-Lit, partly bulbs, partly leds and fiberoptics
-Detailed with original grey scrap where possible

So i cut a stack of styro with a hot guitar wire in a bow. I cut it around a set of dinerplates, to match the diacarousel size.
Ouwe (1).jpg Ouwe (4).jpg
The dia-carousels resemble something like engineports. Its fitted with lightbulbs.
Yes, christmastree lights. Bare with me, i started this over ten years ago..
Ouwe (6).jpg Ouwe (9a).jpg
The styro shape and carousels form an engine array, which i finished with cloth and resin. As a poor mans fibreglas.

Some early detailing. I learned you still really have to plan ahead for a long build like this.
Contradictive to my intension, making it up while going along..
Ouwe (9b).jpg Ouwe (9c).jpg
eastereggs, botllecaps, socket, whatever.

The back of the ship (engine part) is coming along nicely. And will come along for years more, i'm afraid..
Ouwe (10).jpg
I also tended to the cd-rack, which will form the body. It will house fibreoptics.
Ouwe (11).jpg Ouwe (12).jpg
The front is a coffeemachine lit, a shoulderpad and fotorollcases (yep this built is that old).

An early mockup of the overall look:
Ouwe (12b).jpg

I started on the monumental task of cladding the engine array with keyboard keys.
I really like the way this forms a surface, but man..
Ouwe (13).jpg
I ran out of keyboards, i moved, twice, and then it sat on a shelf like this.

So much for the old built.
Now, i picked it up again, inspired by the builts on this site.
Although its a bit different ballgame, i'd like the quality to be in the same park.

So i finished the key-cladding:
Q (1).jpg
Note the bucket of keys in the front. It once was full keys from over 20 keysboards. sigh.
But now they are a techy surface, forever!

I left an openening for some orange truckrims i like to point foreward. On with the going along.

So much for now, i hope someone digs this.
More to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_802.jpg
    IMG_802.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 5,412
Last edited:
absolutely cracking stuff. the keyboard keys are awesome, however i can't help feeling panels, such as heat shields on space shuttle's would have suited it better. just an opinion though. looking forward to more.

very nice, love the keys hope you find more. if you live state side i might be able to get a couple of old key boards from my office your way.

Thanks so much!
I'm very glad you can appreciate this.

Thanks for the offer, metal wood. It was quite a search for the oldskool keys, but i'm sure this bucket will last me.
To be honest i'm happy i finished this tedious part. Let me show you.
(the collecting and cladding was fun, but i had to cut off the little foot of every single key...)

First some open heart surgery with a hacksaw.
Q (1a).jpg
Eventualy i want to be able to hang the ship like a chandelier, and feel confident.
The suspending support wasnt thought through, and i had to adjust it.
A steel tube will quide forces directly to the frame.

Now this wil hold a cow.
Q (1b).jpg

Time to close the key-era.
Q (1c).jpg
The foreward facing openings, like intakes, are backlit. They close the bulbs-circuit running through this part.

Tending to the underside, once to be the backside.
Q (2).jpgQ (3).jpgQ (4).jpg
Capping off the bulbwiring; i wish they sold leds back then..
A bit of kitbashing, the domes fit so nicely. (Sorry Perry Rhodan fans, it was n incomplete set found at a flea market.)
I detailed the "cuffs" with them disposable forks. All within the idea that the colour scheme will be the original parts.
The flash doesnt do them justice here, but i really like the "feminine contour" of the forks side.
(i've been collecting these things for so long, i noticed they changed style over the years..)
This is how my engines are turning out, apparently.

And thats it for the back part for now. Some wiring waiting for the buildup.
I put the rack on top, to see where i'm going.
Q (9).jpg

Yeah! I´m designing a spaceship!
Q (10).jpg

The cd-rack will be next, here with the fibres sticking out.

Last edited:
Scrap-built spaceship, starting on the frontpart

Still messing around with the mockup, trying to visualize it being suspended from a ceiling.
Q (10a).jpg Q (10b).jpg
Comming at cha! The cable is quite long and the elektra even longer to have no issue there.

Now its time for the body of the front-end; a steelwire cdrack and a lot of smaller scrap.
Lighted with fibre-optics, made from those silly fibre lamps.
Q (12).jpg

A chrome tube made into a two directional armature with two fibre trees sticking out. That is a lot of fibres.
Q (11a).jpg
There were some light leaks, but nothing a bit of black paint can't handle.

Scribbly detailing of the fibre area can be done with coloured bits, because it will be painted to mask the fibres eventually.
So here whole my collection of tiny coloured bits goes.
Q (11).jpg

There are really a lot of fibres, litteraly uncountable. But it looks so nice once in place.
While moving on with ministeck and a pair of tweezers, i'll try to post a foto of the fibre optics in effect.

Your approach is so completely atypical, and the scale (for me) was unpredictably large, but you are making it work. On paper, I would have said nope, but you are really on to something. Definitely subscribed.

If Martin Bower can make a moon buggy out of a vacuum cleaner, you can make a spaceship out of keyboard keys. Watching this one! :)

Scrap-built spaceship, the frontend

..you are really on to something.
Thanks, its experimental, I can use some reassuring.
..weirdest/coolest..
Yeah, i hope i can keep the dash in there.
..unexpected materials
Well, its stil scatchbuilding but a bit heavy on the scrap part.
Watching this one! :)
So cool that you're interrested in my experiment. Wait till you see the use of the other bigger elements.
..It's awesome!
Thanks, i know its a bit off, but this the forum for me to get inspiration so i like to post my building report here.

That being said, i have to get a cameratripod..
So at the moment there's still some greebling going on. But the fibre-optics are almost all dealt with, accept the ones to be covered by a bigger bit.
Just one more fibre-tree to install.
usd1.jpg

Almost finished this messy part. It will be a background, after painting.
usd2.jpg

Fibre-optics rule! My camera work sucks though.
usd4.jpg

Here it is with the right side up. In the back the bigger scrap elements wait. But there's still quite some work on this front part.
usd5.jpg

scrap-built-spaceship-usd7.jpg-189450d1369599268

I ll try to make beter pictures for the next post.
Now i'm going to install the last fibres-armature and continue my way through the plastic scrap heap.

Attachments

• usd7.jpg
    usd7.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 6,236
Last edited:
w.i.p. Scrap-built spaceship

W.i.p. is slow due to summer in the city. Progressing nonetheless, and alway gratifying to get a bit done.

Let me clearlfy what i'm set out to do:
An interesting find of scrap like from a old computer, printer, monitor or applience will define the shape.
The colour of the plastic is also important, thats what makes me think of spaceship parts.
scrap-built-spaceship-s6200065.jpg-200636d1371939896

Then detail it with greeblies within the same philosophie. So buttons, electrical stuff and any grey or beige scrap will be my pallet for shape and colour.
I know generally unpainted plastic is considered "cheap" in model building, but i try to exploit this mat glossy decoloured appearance.
scrap-built-spaceship-s6200068.jpg-200637d1371939899

The main hull is an exception to the rule, and will be painted. So non grey scrap goes. This is currently my pallet.
scrap-built-spaceship-s6200071.jpg-200638d1371939902

The 3rd fibre-tree is mounted. It will pierce unpainted parts, so it will have to wait till primer is done.
Some crude scratch building for the connection to the engine array; hardboard and expanding glue.
scrap-built-spaceship-s6200073.jpg-200639d1371946549

Overview underside. A lot of time went to preparing the mounts.
scrap-built-spaceship-s6200076.jpg-200640d1371946587

scrap-built-spaceship-s6200077.jpg-200641d1371946610

The patience game with tweezers and fibres.
scrap-built-spaceship-s6200078.jpg-200642d1371946658

Et voila, the atari monitor grating is in place.
scrap-built-spaceship-s6200079.jpg-200643d1371946711

Attachments

• S6200065.jpg
    S6200065.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 8,496
  • S6200068.jpg
    S6200068.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 10,860
  • S6200071.jpg
    S6200071.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 9,545
  • S6200073.jpg
    S6200073.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 6,801
  • S6200076.jpg
    S6200076.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 7,894
  • S6200077.jpg
    S6200077.jpg
    394 KB · Views: 6,192
  • S6200078.jpg
    S6200078.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 6,229
  • S6200079.jpg
    S6200079.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 6,107
Last edited:
glad to see your still at it, cant wait for paint gonna bring this beast to life!
Same to you sir. Dont worry she will be finished and reported here. (i think i can call it she by now)
Hope not to disappoint, but only this mid section will be painted. Most of the ship will eventually consist of unpainted scrap..

Here's an example from a friend of mine (he doesnt know about the internet), who is building with the same idea.
A bit smaller, no fibre optics, and nothing painted so he's ahead with detailing:

04Mrks.jpg03Mrks.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Scrap-built spaceship, the frontend

Thanks, i know its a bit off...

No, no, I didn't say it was "off", what I said was, "I really like your offbeat approach to materials and textures." Which is to say that it doesn't conform to an ordinary type or pattern. It's unique and unconventional. Just a great project start to finish.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back