Hammer Industries Ex-Wife missile... yes another one ! [WIP] (pics heavy !)

teragon

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to share a little project Stargatefan1988 and I have been working on for months now :
the (in)famous Ex-Wife missile as seen in Iron Man 2 !
ironman22010propweapons.jpg

(actual prop, taken from the internet)

At the time they were none available in the Junkyard, so we decided we would make our own from scratch, using a 3D printing service.
So, after gathering some references from the movie and the web, I started modeling a first version using blender, and after quite some time of working on and off, whenever I had some free time, I came up with this :
renderbftsma.png

and we printed it (in the cheapest material), to see how it would look like :
image1367486968517856.jpg

96796210200700846616708.jpg

Unfortunately, it wasn't very accurate, and thanks to Finhead (before he was unfortunately banned), who has a production one apparently and pointed me everything that was wrong, I was able to correct my model. Actually I started over from scratch, it was easier. Some grooves were too shallow, others too deep, some details were missing and I had only made two long horizontal grooves when they are actually three of them.

Took me approximately a month again, but we think that this time, we truly nailed it :
renderpbjdu5.png

renderiikxy1.png

renderihcu2a.png

renderf6yvus.png

renderdikpu4.png

Along with the missile, we also wanted a nice way of displaying it, other than the Pelican Case seen in the movie (it's nice, but it doesn't show the missile really). So we wanted a nice custom plaques and stand. After some thinking and drawings
image1367614168622897.jpg

We had a few options, and we went to Feezle-nuts for the plaque. We chose the third option, combining the stand and the plaque together, so it went from this
idea33l.jpg

to this, thanks to Feezle-Nuts
image1367650543071207.jpg

The idea being to have the missile sitting on his stand in the blank part
idea3.jpg

wm5f.png

The QR Code is functional, it links to Hammer's description of the missile.
The stand is simple, it is designed to fit inside one of the long grooves of the missile, and will be cast in a transparent material.
renderh2nkgq.png

Now, the plan is to send the missile to the printer, then when we get it, we will cast it in some Smooth on 300 or Onyx, or maybe in 65D if we figure out a way to root cast it, so it can be hollow and lighter in case it could be incorporated in a suit.
That's it so far, but we will have this done in a few weeks at most I hope, and in the end I'm glad we decided to make it ourself, it's more fun and rewarding then buying it !

The missile itself is 6 inches long, with a diameter of approximately 0,8 inches. The plaque is 8" by 4 or 5", not sure about that, stargatefan will probably be able to answer that. The height of the stand is yet to be decided, but for now it's around 2,5" I think.

edit : now that I look at it, there is a mistake on the plaque, under general dimensions, the diameter is like I said 0.8 inches, not 0.08 inches. That will be fixed on the actual plaque of course.

Last edited:
The missile itself is 6 inches long, with a diameter of approximately 0,8 inches. The plaque is 8" by 4 or 5", not sure about that, stargatefan will probably be able to answer that. The height of the stand is yet to be decided, but for now it's around 2,5" I think.

edit : now that I look at it, there is a mistake on the plaque, under general dimensions, the diameter is like I said 0.8 inches, not 0.08 inches. That will be fixed on the actual plaque of course.

The plague is roughly 7.5 cm x 4.5 cm.

Last edited:
This just came in from feezlenuts

missileexample.jpg
the rocket on this pic is still our first prototype
and final plaque will have the ".08" fixed

thanks !
I'll be ordering the missile and stand during the week, so we'll have something to show here in a week or so.
Things are a bit slow since I have three weeks of exams coming way too soon for my taste, so I'll be busy during that time.
Past that, you can expect updates to come way faster !

I like what you've done, the Missile looks like it'll be perfect. I do have a few comments on the plaque. Is the goal to make it look like an official "in world" plaque or a movie replica display (like the MR plaques)? If it's supposed to be part of the movie universe you may want to make it a bit more like the Batman "Wayne Applied Science", such as batgrapple_id_card.

You're more than half way there. Just remove the Ironman 2 logo. Maybe consider moving down the File/Dimension box and fit it all in the bottom box to allow the upper area for the missile.

Thanks for the input Talisen, we did a mockup without the IM2 logo, but we debated wether or not we should have a reminder of the movie and since I spent quite some time detouring the logo in photoshop :lol, we kept it. But in the end I think you might be right. I'll try to remake it like you said, we didnt order the corrected version yet anyway.
By the way, expect some pictures of our new prototype by June 4, I placed the order today.

It is a neat idea, but from my understanding, it still need a base relatively close to the piece, so we wouldn't be able to have it sit like we want.
We do plan on using small magnets on the feet of the transparent stand and under the plaque, this way the stand will snap on the plaque perfectly positioned ! No messy gluing, and easily demontable !

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back