USS Enterprise (2009) (Revell) review and build

Thank you all!

DanielB: No, these LEDs do not have a lens. The light "cone" is very broad, in fact, it illuminates the whole half in front of them.

star-art: Thank you! Wish I had found these links earlier!

Today I was able to solder the remaining LEDs, I have now 23, so one more than needed. But I'm sure there will be at least one that breaks during integration.
Tomorrow I will try to get them into their places, but tonight I will wait for the CA glue with which I covered the connections to fully dry out. I really hope that I don't have to repair them once more...

Thorsten

Hi - I am curious on how you did this mod of the deflector piece. I see the photos and am wondering what you used to build it back up, and also why you cut the angles off the side in the very first photo. Did you repurpose those?

I ask, because this seems to be the single most difficult mod and want to have a handle on it. Great work too! Wow!!

The 4 Star, in the meantime, I cut off the whole side panels of the part, as they were totally off. I rebuilt everything from plastic sheet in 0.5 mm and 0.25 mm thickness. And of course, some filler. I don't use "glue", I prefer ethyl acetate. You can hold the parts together, then dip a fine brush into the ethyl acetate and then to the gap between the parts. The e.a. will run into the gap, and slightly pressing the parts together gives a strong connection, the plastic is welded together. After some seconds it is dry enough for moving on.

Here is a picture of the deflector base from 5 minutes ago. It needs just some more filling, then it's finished.

Ent_STID_Rev_build_020.JPG

Hope this helps!

Thorsten

The 4 Star, in the meantime, I cut off the whole side panels of the part, as they were totally off. I rebuilt everything from plastic sheet in 0.5 mm and 0.25 mm thickness. And of course, some filler. I don't use "glue", I prefer ethyl acetate. You can hold the parts together, then dip a fine brush into the ethyl acetate and then to the gap between the parts. The e.a. will run into the gap, and slightly pressing the parts together gives a strong connection, the plastic is welded together. After some seconds it is dry enough for moving on.

Here is a picture of the deflector base from 5 minutes ago. It needs just some more filling, then it's finished.

View attachment 195197

Hope this helps!

Thorsten

Looking good, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished ship. Looks like it will be a thundering good job :D.

Aries2, Thanks!

Today I've made good progress. I've built in all the 16 spot lights in the saucer section. I had only 2 where the solder connection broke thereby, but at least I can now finish this subassembly. Here are two pictures from testing two built-in lights in the dark:
Ent_STID_Rev_build_021.JPGEnt_STID_Rev_build_022.JPG
(Look at those lens flares - this REALLY is the JJPrise :D)
But sorry, no pictures of all lights turned on at once until the interior is finished and the resistors are in place. Don't have enough alligator clips.

Cheers,
Thorsten

i continue to drool sir, mine is about 2 weeks away. stilling waiting for the water in Dresden to go down before the German Luftpost is back up to par; can not wait!!!

Here are some daylight pictures of the spot ports.
The ones around the bridge and on the bottom are not present in the kit, I added them from small triangles of 0.5mm plastic card. The raised panel detail around the bridge is mispositioned, I removed it to not collide with the spotlights. Probably I'll rebuild them from 0.25mm plastic sheet.
The LEDs are put onto the surface of the saucer as seen in the pictures above, and are glued with CA. It needs some sanding to get the excess glue away. Then I'll putty the LEDs to the surrounding plastic to get a smooth finish.
Ent_STID_Rev_build_023.JPGEnt_STID_Rev_build_024.JPGEnt_STID_Rev_build_025.JPG

Thanks for following!

Thorsten

Really cool man. I'm probably going to end up doing my lighting this way. Are you going to light block the tops of the LEDs with paint so they only shine forward toward the hull?

Yes, I hope the light will be blocked by filler, primer and paint. But they are really bright, so it might not block 100%.

View attachment 195197

Hope this helps!

Thorsten

Hi - hopefully this will be my last question on the defector mod. Here's a pic of the original piece. I see you first cut the blue, then the red sections.original piece call out.jpg

Where I'm getting lost is what you did in the green section. You gave that grill line breathing space and I cannot figure out how. Also, did you reduce the size of the indents to fit 4 in? What I'm shocked at is how you made more room where there was none!

Hi,

don't worry about questions, as I understand, this is what forums are for! :)

Do these pictures answer your questions?:
Deflector_base_modification_01.jpgDeflector_base_modification_02.jpg
I wish I had taken more pictures of the process... If it's not clear, ask again and I will try to take new pictures of the part, but it's too dark right now.

Cheers!
Thorsten

Awesome - so basically keep the ring and trash the rest, except keep the grill line at the bottom. Ballsy!

Also, do you have a HERO picture that you used as reference to discover the inaccuracies?

Yes, that's the way to go, imho. At least it worked quite well on mine :rolleyes

Please, can you explain what you mean with "HERO picture"? I have 100 MB of screenshots from the 2009' movie and from this Blu-Ray-extra feature you also referred in your video. For the deflector base area, the scene at 3:50 of this virtual inspection is pretty useful as is a high-res section of the famous render of the Enterprise in front of Saturn. I didn't bookmark the link, if you need it, drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

BTW, there are some additional details in the area below the torpedo launcher which I'm working on in the moment:
- The upper border of the recessed area is not straight but curvy at the end. I realized this too late to just make the cut curvy, so I have to modify the line by adding material. The first picture shows small parts of plastic sheet glued into position, the second picture shows the area covered with filler.
- There is an additional groove in front of the torpedo launcher on top of the hull. This can be filed in very easily.

Ent_STID_Rev_build_026.JPGEnt_STID_Rev_build_027.JPG

Thorsten

Last edited:
By HERO it would be the one photo you kept referring to as you did your work. But I do know the 3:50 mark in the video.

I'm going to suck it up and go for this - I think you have designed the first after market part for this kit!

I can't seem to post a photo off my mac, but there is NO indentation running under the torpedo tube as seen in your model. That might be why the nose piece you modified doesn't look like I can do it on mine, there seem to be two different kits? I got mine from England. That green area on my original piece I don't think is built like yours either. This is odd!

Last edited:
Your deflector base ring part looks identical to the one of my kit before I modified it. Take a look at the sprue pictures on the first page of this thread:
uss-enterprise-2009-revell-review-build-ent_stid_rev_unbox_004.jpg-182230d1368176289

http://www.therpf.com/f11/uss-enterprise-2009-revell-review-build-184688/#post2891629
The first version of my modifications of the side panels was off, so there might be some confusion because of that. This shows the final configuration:
uss-enterprise-2009-revell-review-build-ent_stid_rev_build_020.jpg-195197d1370713277

http://www.therpf.com/f11/uss-enterprise-2009-revell-review-build-184688/index4.html#post2932264
This shows it after the first (wrong) modification:
uss-enterprise-2009-revell-review-build-ent_stid_rev_build_007.jpg-187070d1369091215

http://www.therpf.com/f11/uss-enterprise-2009-revell-review-build-184688/index2.html#post2906309

The groove under the torpedo launcher isn't there in the kit - I added it, it's part of the modification work. You can see it in some scenes of the movie and the virtual inspection rather clearly.

I doubt there is any difference in our kits, there is just some drilling, cutting, sanding, filling, and lots of more sanding and drilling between them ;)

BTW, here is the updated modifications sheet for reference:
modifications.jpg

Cheers,
Thorsten

Last edited:
This is looking truly amazing. Those spots look very nicely done. Can't wait to see them powered up!

Here are some daylight pictures of the spot ports.
The ones around the bridge and on the bottom are not present in the kit, I added them from small triangles of 0.5mm plastic card. The raised panel detail around the bridge is mispositioned, I removed it to not collide with the spotlights. Probably I'll rebuild them from 0.25mm plastic sheet.
The LEDs are put onto the surface of the saucer as seen in the pictures above, and are glued with CA. It needs some sanding to get the excess glue away. Then I'll putty the LEDs to the surrounding plastic to get a smooth finish.
View attachment 195898View attachment 195899View attachment 195900

Thanks for following!

Thorsten

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back