First foam costume build! Iron Man/War Machine

LightStreak

Hi guys!
I'm not really a new face around here, but I certainly think I should make an appearance on the forum more, I build plenty of props but never get around to logging them!
I thought a good opportunity to really try to get into the swing of this would be to start it with my new, I hope relatively simple build, to be commenced this weekend. This will be my first foam costume build, something that I've been meaning to get around to for a while! Now I'll be honest, I will have two of these going on at one time, one I plan to purchase from the Junkyard (I'm interested to see other people's work and learn from it!) and one I'll build myself beforehand (with the aim that eventually I'll build up a number of suits). The suits will be Iron Man series based, something that is becoming very popular. I'm sorry there's nothing to report as of yet, but before I commit to a design myself, I was hoping I could ask general RPFers a question: Which is easiest to make out of foam - Iron Man, War Machine, or Iron Patriot? It's probably best I start with the easiest, so does anyone have any ideas? Iron Man wise I'm not too fussy about which Mark or design, I'm just looking to start a simple build to get myself used to working in this way.
Thanks, hopefully I'll be able to start this journey within the next couple of days!
Richard:)

I'm sorry to start another foam costume build thread, I know there are a lot out there! Frankly, I think the distraction of blogging, and also any advice anyone on here is kind enough to offer, will be good for me and the build however.
I'm going with War Machine, using Juice's foam files (Thanks!), and have been working at it for a couple of days now. Here's what I've got so far:
WarM1.JPG
WarM2.JPG

Completed are the left forearm and bicep sections - made out of 10mm foam floor mats. I'm not aiming for the stratosphere on this build, I can't compete with the workmanship around here, so I apologise for the frankly awful joins on a lot of the areas. It's my first time through, and I do think I am making progress at getting cleaner joins, but in the case of these pieces all I can do it hope that they look OK once painted up.
The forearm took about 3-4 hours of work to finish, but I'd got used to the style of work when moving on so the bicep only took about 1 and a half hours. Although pretty rubbish compared to what's out there I'm proud of them anyway, and next on my list to finish will be the right arm, them moving onto the chest.
Hoping this build will be finished by mid-June. Thanks for looking guys and any advice it always greatly appreciated:)

EDIT: The gloves I'm using are NFL paintball armoured gloves. Not too expensive and they look the part, so I thought I'd save myself a job. Once painted I think they should blend in nicely:D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back