Star Trek Into Darkness (Post-release)

Of course it will bring in money short term, some are worried of the film in the long run and a few were NOT happy that the film was given to that Hack.

Nervous about where they're going to put the giant pile of cash it's going to bring in???

They're not nervous about anything. 8X the record for presale tickets...

Hack. Ha. Okay. Would love to see what a great, visionary director would do with that script and schedule. This movie, while terrible, has GREAT direction. Bad, BAD friggin script, but technically there is nothing wrong with the direction.

His flaw as a director in this is that he should have pushed for more time to fix the story... but the studios have a schedule, and frankly, he was a director for hire on a project that was probably just distracting him from "The Force Awakens".

Hack. Ha. Okay. Would love to see what a great, visionary director would do with that script and schedule. This movie, while terrible, has GREAT direction. Bad, BAD friggin script, but technically there is nothing wrong with the direction.

His flaw as a director in this is that he should have pushed for more time to fix the story... but the studios have a schedule, and frankly, he was a director for hire on a project that was probably just distracting him from "The Force Awakens".

My issue with the film was that it evidences the real tension -- and lack of a clear vision -- for what the studio wants this rebooted franchise to be. Reboots are tricky beasts anyway, but this one seemed to want to be both its own movie, and a call-back-fest/remake for Wrath of Khan, and it just...failed to effectively find that balance.

The original ideas that the film puts forth end up muddled and poorly developed because they're too busy building the film to also be "ZOMG IT'S THE WRATH OF KHAN ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!"

My issue with the film was that it evidences the real tension -- and lack of a clear vision -- for what the studio wants this rebooted franchise to be. Reboots are tricky beasts anyway, but this one seemed to want to be both its own movie, and a call-back-fest/remake for Wrath of Khan, and it just...failed to effectively find that balance.

The original ideas that the film puts forth end up muddled and poorly developed because they're too busy building the film to also be "ZOMG IT'S THE WRATH OF KHAN ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!"

COULD have worked putting the old Trek episode and the Wrath of Kahn into a new retelling, but the screenwriters were so confused by what to do with it, they went with what I consider the BIGGEST of the movies sins... Which is having the opening sequence lead to the characters being put BACK into the position they started at in the first movie...

Kirk isn't in Starfleet... goes to a bar... gets a pep talk from the same guy. Goes to work, horrible event puts him back in control of ship... faces off against baddie in bigger ship...

I wanted to see growth from where we left off. The idea is to have your characters be different at the beginning of the flick than they are at the end. So I wanted to see where a new adventure from where we left off in the first flick (with Kirk having his own ship), but instead they just reset everything so we have to watch Kirk get his own ship AGAIN.

Also, Cumberbatch is friggin weird.

Cumberbatch is awesome, but was criminally misused in this film. When he was some lunatic trying to drive the Federation to war (a la Star Trek VI), he was interesting and enigmatic. Then when he just turns out to be inexplicably-white-dude-Khan...it stopped being interesting.

The vibe I've gotten from the Trek films is that they're entertaining popcorn movies, but they're utterly disposable. There's nothing about them that, in my mind, warrants people watching them in years to come, outside of having them bundled in a movie pack or something.

They aren't bad movies, they're just wasted opportunities. Really, at the core, they're movies for people who don't care about movies. They're the movies you put on in the background while you cook, or to watch the spectacle of ships exploding, rather than the movies you sit down and watch and want to pay attention to.

In 20 years, people will remember them...but only dimly. Kinda like my recollection of Jurassic Park 3, which I seem to recall had kids flying around and pteranadons, and some big spinosaurus thing...but otherwise which I cannot for the life of me recall with any detail. Oh, wait. Sam Neil was in it, too, which was nice. They're just part of a cadre of "also-ran" films.

Meh.

Of course not if George could'nt do it no one can! :lol

If it performs badly JJ will be shown the door PRONTO!

Sooo... you think a franchise that's survived Special Editions, the Prequal trilogy AND Jar Jar Binks is going to be brought down by JJ Abrams?

I think you give the man far too much credit :)

Oh there IS concern from a few there, as I said before a few were not happy with JJ being given the film.

If it performs poorly or pisses the fans off, what WILL be laughable will be how fast they give JJ the boot!

this is so astoundingly wrong as to be laughable. No one at Disney is even slightly concerned for the film, JJ's directing, or the future of the franchise with other directors.

C'Mon Man, A great and Visionary Director wouldn"t have touched that Script with a ten foot pole! :lol

It's a shame Roberto, Alex, and Damon gave him the shaft AGAIN, but what are friends for?

C'Mon Man, A great and Visionary Director wouldn"t have touched that Script with a ten foot pole! :lol

It's a shame Roberto, Alex, and Damon gave him the shaft AGAIN, but what are friends for?

Some would say Peter Jackson is visionary, and he has said The Hobbit was a mess when it got before the camera... he would show up on set with no idea what was being shot... And I'm hearing Christopher Nolan went into Dark Knight Rises really understanding his brother's script...

Michel Gondry didn't get along with Seth Rogen, so both of them walked away not happy with "The Green Hornet".

Sometimes you get stuck in a bad production.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back