Star Trek Into Darkness (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
This is the post-release thread for Star Trek Into Darkness with spoiler discussion.

Star Trek Into Darkness got released today on May 9 in UK, Australia and few other countries, while parts of Asia is having the release tomorrow. US and more countries will be getting the release on May 16. Paramount has pushed the release a day early for US from the original date of May 17.

You can find the pre-release discussion thread here.

181885-star-trek-into-darkness-banner.jpg

Just home from opening day screening (2D).

I went to this movie mostly to see more of Karl Urban's tribute to Deforest Kelly. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Characters felt a lot less forced and the film overall (despite the wealth of action) felt much more 'Trek' than the last outing. I'm enjoying the idea of this alternate, darker time line.

Was nice to see the characters developing and forming relationships a bit more naturally. Cumberbatch was brilliant and potentially one of the more memorable villains of recent sci-fi. The Khan thing wasn't really a mystery but it played out in a very satisfying way. Bravo! I was on the edge of my seat willing Spock on in the chase; it's normally so difficult to engage in these conflicts as the outcome can be so predictable...

Firstly - Major, Major, MAJOR SPOILERS!!!!!- if you want to enjoy the film (and it IS great fun)then don’t read any further than the first two paragraphs. Beyond that the gloves are off!!! You have been warned. Also, given the problems the 3D gave me in Iron Man I stuck with old fashioned cinema this time and it felt miles better, because there is really ,really ,far, far too much going on at times (like IM3 ) to track comfortably in 3D.
So , straight off the verdict is this is the most enjoyable film I’ve seen since "The Avengers" last year. Hell, I might even prefer it by the very slimmest of margins. Why? Because it beat ever expectation I had for it. It was action packed, funny, playfully clever with the script (and the old ST films and TV series),quite emotionally touching at times and above all bloody superb to look at. There seems to have been a quantum leap with effects these last couple of years and I’ve got to say Star Trek Into Darkness (STID) ended up looking superbly "real". The land/city scapes particularly. And you can forget all your worries about the Dreadnaught from that photo, most of the quibbles about its design are lost in the distance,lens flare and other effects shots.It totally won me over as a ship of combat.
Now this is where its going to get a bit sticky for some. I can see how some diehard fans are going to hate this one. A lot. Some of the changes will be a little too much to take in. The Klingons for instance ,may have been taken a step too far in their redesign but I honestly thought the masks and new facials suited them better than ever.
But that minor change will pale in comparison to what they do with the "John Harrison" story. And Benedict C IS definitely "John Harrison". And not. But again, if you are willing to accept that this is a totally different timeline then the script works really very well. Both the character and story are given an unexpected depth as the new events unfold.Only one thing spoiled it for me rather badly and that moment was as terrible as Vader screaming “NOOOOO” in Return of the Sith. Because it effectively destroyed every bit of work that had gone into what was otherwise an emotional and cleverly written scene in a split second. But for that one instant ( and perhaps a trans warp "backpack") I could have easily given the film an "A-" instead of a "B++++++". You'll know it when you hear it.
Other than that the film totally surprised and delighted me. The Raiders riff at the beginning is as amazing and spectacular as you could imagine, the various twists were excellent and cleverly done, the actors have “matured” into their roles a little more and were better written and developed and it was great to see a very old face return . And those effects!!! I can still see some of them with my eyes closed. ILM certainly pulled ALL the stops out. No wonder Disney wanted JJA for the SW gig. I’d go and see it again tonight if I could, but I’ll wait a week perhaps.It is THAT good. I came out bouncing with delight at it and as happy as I felt after seeing "Avengers". Damn, it was fun to watch!
My only real disappointment now is that Benedict C will probably find it difficult, nay impossible, to fit into that other universe now. And I’m talking Star Wars here. What a Sith (or new “Emperor”) he would have made!!!!
Great ,great film, for me easily one of the best Treks ever, even stronger than the last one and that takes some beating. I just hope we don’t have to wait a whole "Five years" for the next mission. Well done JJA and team. I'd be prepared to wait that long ,on one condition. Be warned though, my expectations for the new Star Wars had better be met!!!! Kan he do it? Yes I think he most definitely can!!

Last edited:
Star Trek Into Darkness was great and intense. The character moments is really what binds this film. Though I was prepared for action and spectacle, I didn't expect such moments of anticipation and surprises through the film.

Fans worried about the new Star Trek straying from the exploration aspect of the franchise (something that is even directly quoted in the film) will be glad that it seems to be heading towards it.

Damn, reading all those good reviews and people being excited over it make me want to travel across the English Channel to see it. PARAMOUNT, WHYYY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL JUNE!

Oh right. Subtitles.

Why did they feel the need to use an almost entire scene from Wrath of Khan, I think McCoy should have been in that shot to make it complete. It was also very predictable at the end. Also I'm getting pretty bored of "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one." But Kirk's interpretation is "The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many." Apart from that, the action scenes are pretty cool. And as always love watching Karl Urban playing Dr McCoy. He does a bang up job but would like to see more of him. While I understand there's lots of characters to use, the whole point of Star Trek was the banter between Kirk, Spock & McCoy. The Spock and McCoy relationship is sadly lacking.

Awesome film loved it one of the best movies i have watched in a long time funny and entertaining good characters excellent villain!

Karl Urban has had MCCoy down from the first scene of the 2009 film. I've been seeing the ads on tv here in the US and they seem to basically give you the entire plotline and major visual shots to you in the 1 minute ads. Kinda make sit pointless to spent 20.00 a ticket when you know what happens.

I just wish JJA would stop making the Enterprise an atmo ship, it was made purely for space flight. The Enterprise is not designed for flying in atmo. Also if John Harrison wanted to destroy earth all he would have to do is fire up the warp engines or overload the core. Firing the warp engines would wipe out anything that touches the warp bubble.

Thoroughly enjoyed the film, a much better experience than Avengers, but I never really liked that film anyway.

trueogre - Perhaps a little too much thought went into what Khan was planning to and eventually did. You must understand as has been stated many times by J.J. and other cast members that the film wasn't for established Trek fans, rather something that would entertaining and accessible to a wider audience. So what your explanation of what Khan might have done seems to me to be formulated from knowledge of the older Trek films and the technology in that timeline.

Because of the events in the previous film we learn time was altered by extrapolated scans from Nero's ship, for all we know, the workings of the Warp Core are vastly different than pre-established technical data. This altered timeline stuff will also affect your understanding of whether or not the Enterprise is suited or not to Atmospheric flight capabilities or not. Actually, Scotty in this film also mentions how ridiculous it was that the ship was underwater!

Though most of this speculation is beside the most relevant point being that it wasn't Khan's way of thinking to destroy earth, when the Vengeance is crashing he was aiming for Starfleet HQ not trying to destroy earth.

Why did they feel the need to use an almost entire scene from Wrath of Khan, I think McCoy should have been in that shot to make it complete. It was also very predictable at the end. Also I'm getting pretty bored of "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one." But Kirk's interpretation is "The needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many." Apart from that, the action scenes are pretty cool. And as always love watching Karl Urban playing Dr McCoy. He does a bang up job but would like to see more of him. While I understand there's lots of characters to use, the whole point of Star Trek was the banter between Kirk, Spock & McCoy. The Spock and McCoy relationship is sadly lacking.

I actually found that scene to be one of the stronger moments of the film - due entirely to my familiarity with the older movies. The darker/alternate timeline episodes of all the TV series have always been standouts, leaving you wanting more and wondering 'what if?' The symmetry between events in both timelines gave it some extra emotional weight. Despite 'KHAAAAAANNNNNN' taking me out of the film for a moment.

And I agree that the McCoy / Spock banter is sadly missing. It must be said though that part of that dynamic was McCoy's dry, cynical wit; part of which has been rolled into the Kirk character in his interactions with Spock. 'Pointy Eared *******' and the like. Shame about the five year mission - it would have been good to see the three of them on a camping trip in their downtime :p

Also - did anybody notice the seemingly android crew member on the bridge? The dude got a bit of screen time with his electronic-sounding voice and LED-filled gadgetry on the back of his head. I wondered if there was any significance intended? JJ has given his federation a splash of strange and varied alien designs - continuity be damned.

I wasn't a huge fan of the first reboot. It felt rushed and forced as a ST film. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Into Darkness, and probably stacks up as my second favourite Trek film after First Contact.

The script was fast, funny, and full of nods to the original series and films. I loved the "backwards" nature of the storyline that we're used to, I think it's a good way to reboot the series without losing the original fanbase too much.

I have to admit that the section of the film where the Enterprise is sat underwater made me exclaim "What?!?" rather loudly in the theatre, which got a few funny looks from other people, and I then had to explain to my girlfriend after the film was over why that was rediculous...

Also, was it me or was the voice of the computer on the Dreadnought that of Bob Picardo? (He's not credited if so...)

I was genuinely happy with this film. Far better than the first. I also miss the trio of Kirk, Bones and Spock. Karl Urban is the best character in the films and I wish he had more screen time.

The death scene actually had me close to tears. Maybe because as a kid I wished I had been old enough to see the WOK in the cinema for the sheer scale and emotion of it all.

I did laugh quite loudly at the shot of the Enterprise and Dreadnought squaring off though for the sheer size ratios.

Thoroughly enjoyed the film from start to finish, have to agree with the comments about Karl Urban, he is, for me, the best cast of all the characters. His attitude and delivery are spot on, though I too would like to see more McCoy/Spock bickering. The death of Pike was very well executed (no pun) and I found Benedict Cumberbatch's portrayal of Khan very intense, I actually felt sorry for him haha, my friends and I laughed out loud at the Spock/Khan showdown, purely for the amount of punches thrown! I mean they were knocking seven shades out of each other! I liked the reversal of the sacrifice scene, although one nitpick for me was the almost identical dialogue from WOK. Very interested to see where this franchise will go from here, I think the new Klingons were brilliantly realised and I hope we get to see a lot more of them in films to come.

Could I ask a tiny little favour of you all?

My local Cineworld took photos of people against a greenscreen at the midnight showing of the film last week. They are running a competition and the picture with the most likes will get a bunch of Trek goodies.

Could I ask any facebook user on here to please "like" this picture. If you fancy sharing it and getting friends, family...people who haven't the pleasure of meeting me but are just really nice folks, that would be even better and you shall have my eternal gratitude if I win. If I lose, you'll still have my gratitude for a few days :D

Thanks all!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back