Disney wants more 'Star Wars' in its theme parks

...had my daughter do things to disrupt the person with the camera, things like tapping her on the shoulder to get her to turn around, telling her that her shoes were untied (even if they weren't) just to get her to look down, poke her in the side to make her squirm or jump. Yeah, my daughter would be a bit annoyed and I would have to apologize to her for it but it would be totally worth it just to annoy the **** out of the person using her head for a camera rest.

LMAO! I like the way you think! :)

Is there a website that offers any advice on when to go when it's less crowded? Do you all have any tips? We went to DL last October in the middle of the week and it was freakin' PACKED - insane wait times and all. I know enough not to go in the summer, but surely there's got to be some days in certain months that are less nuts. That's kinda what I fear for this Star Wars land - the concept art is pretty 'n all, but it doesn't show the crowds - that area is going to be flippin' jammed with landbeasts..

Is there a website that offers any advice on when to go when it's less crowded? Do you all have any tips? We went to DL last October in the middle of the week and it was freakin' PACKED - insane wait times and all. I know enough not to go in the summer, but surely there's got to be some days in certain months that are less nuts. That's kinda what I fear for this Star Wars land - the concept art is pretty 'n all, but it doesn't show the crowds - that area is going to be flippin' jammed with landbeasts..

There are websites you can check but it needs to be weekdays kids ar in school and just before a holiday weekend. And even then it's will always be crowded.

We always go at least twice a year for the whole day. Once on my wife's bday in November and on mine in March. March is always packed, her bday its usually pretty dead. We have passes, so we go other times as well, but usually just for a couple hours in the evening. When we go in November, the longest wait time we've ever experienced is about 30 minutes and thats for the more popular rides. Except for Star Tours. That always seems to be a long line. But yeah, I imagine the new Star Wars land is going to be kind of crazy for a couple years.

For what it's worth, since implementing the new flex pricing the park seems less crowded now. I just went on July 1 this year, the first day of the July 4th weekend, a time that you'd think the park would be packed, but it wasn't. I met my family there around 3ish, and the crowds were very light, we were able to go on Screamin 2 times in a row. By night time, when you'd think more people would be off work and headed to the park, it was still pretty slow, hardly any crowds. Since I have an AP I don't know if that Friday was one of the increased price days or not, but I'm betting that it was and if so, then it might be worth paying the extra cost in order to avoid the crowds.

In other news, work on Star Wars Land seems to be progressing, they've completely razed the area where it's going to go and from the top of the Mickey & Friends parking structure you can see right into where it's going to be. Right now there's not much to see, just a few dirt mounds, lots of dirt, and construction materials and equipment. There are YouTube videos out there where you can the dirt lot that's going to be Star Wars Land, they're interesting to watch although you don't really see much. I just wonder how long they're going to leave the view from up there unobstructed, they've already blocked out the view from The Hungry Bear Restaurant and Disney is normally very good about not allowing the public to get even a glimpse of what they're doing when they're doing any sort of serious work on the park.

For an idea of what the rides might be like once the new land is completed, here's a video from the Pirates ride in Shanghai Disney, it looks pretty amazing and quite different from the Pirates at Disneyland. If this is any indicator of the kind of tech that's going to go in to the Star Wars Land rides then we're going to be in for a real treat, and massively long wait times for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's really impressive is that there are perspective shifts baked into the projections that correspond with the position of the boat. That's really cool.

Way too much use of projection, though, although it is very well done. I love me some animatronics. more more!

I would like to see some simulator were I can pilot a X-wing or TIE...wishful thinking I know.

I would also like a Star Wars on ice...lol, not really but a full action play.

I would also like the option to join the Darkside as well, what are Sith padawans called? :lol

And have a AT-AT escape...or a Rancor roller coaster...BOOM$$$$$

What else?

This just isn't Star Wars to me........hopefully in a few years everyone will be used to the corrected vision of the franchise,....& all the Jedi monks & twirly lightsabers will be gone

J

I think it's just the easiest/"safest" vision of the franchise to push. They can't really have kids marching through Mos Eisley with their blasters smoking Rodians. I am in agreement though, I think the "golden age of the Jedi" stuff from the prequels needs a real rest, and instead they should put on shows where the Rebels/Resistance recruit kids into battles against Vader/Kylo Ren and their lackeys, but that would again be gun based and potentially cause problems. Also the merchandising opportunity is lower, every kid wants to go home with a lightsaber, but I am pretty sure Disney has pulled a lot of the blasters from their shelves.

I think it's just the easiest/"safest" vision of the franchise to push. They can't really have kids marching through Mos Eisley with their blasters smoking Rodians. I am in agreement though, I think the "golden age of the Jedi" stuff from the prequels needs a real rest, and instead they should put on shows where the Rebels/Resistance recruit kids into battles against Vader/Kylo Ren and their lackeys, but that would again be gun based and potentially cause problems. Also the merchandising opportunity is lower, every kid wants to go home with a lightsaber, but I am pretty sure Disney has pulled a lot of the blasters from their shelves.

Last time I was in the Star Trader they still had blasters on the shelves, it's just that lightsabers are cooler and they have the customize your own saber bin/section with a big sign over it where as the blasters are just on the shelves with all of the other merchandise. Plus the sabers get a lot more attention because people see other people walking with them all lit up so the guest become walking advertisement for them.

http://micechat.com/140271-disneyland-rumor-update-star-wars/

While the creative vision for the two Star Wars rides are ground-breaking and overwhelmingly huge, the operational capacity is tiny. Each attraction is not expected to get more than 1,500 riders per hour, or roughly half the hourly capacity of Pirates of the Caribbean. Senior execs like Michael Colglazier and Bob Chapek are unfazed by that reality and never pushed WDI for higher capacity, as they have no real operational experience on a Disneyland scale. But there are some folks at Imagineering, who have worked in the industry for decades, who are worried that the low hourly capacity of these epic mega-rides will negatively impact the visitor experience due to frustration and disappointment for at least the first few years of operation.

I really think this is going to be a HUGE issue - lots up upset kids, families, and park visitors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second that. Toy Story Mania has been open for years and they are still dealing with capacity issues there. They are having to add a third rail to deal with it.

Ignoring capacity is major mistake.

I feel for the families with young kids (and anyone actually) who are going to sacrifice A LOT to make this trip and it's going to be a total freakin' zoo. They should really listen to their imagineers on this one...

This makes the attractions a "wait until off peak season" event for me.

Of course now with fast pass plus. It may not be as bad. It's those that don't think or plan ahead that are going to get burned.

I was in California for the grand opening of Cars land and that was a rough experience and I knew what I was getting into.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back