Iron Man Mk4 build. (PICS)

BengalsIronMan

Alright so first I wanted to give a shout out to any of you who have helped me with any questions on here as well as a shout out to everyone involved with this forum, it's been a huge help and I'm sure it will continue to be!I was dreading the other eye and teeth at this pointUp to this point as of now with the helmet. Two coats of resin, fiberglass coming tomorrow

Last edited:
Re: First time builder. PICS Inside!

If anyone has any advice on how to resin the neck plate would be greatly appreciated also. I'm guessing resin the outside, let cure, cut away the center pieces and resin the inside?

Re: First time builder. Iron Man PICS Inside!

Any advice on fiberglassing? It has been a total nightmare. Between it sticking to my brush to sliding around when I try to push it into a crease

as far as fiberglassing goes i found that laying the fiberglass no top of wet resin with the "dab" technique (thats where you just use the point of the brush to push down the fiberglass into the resin, letting that cure for a few minutes then going in and "slushing" more resin onto the FG works for me keeping the cloth in place until its cured, but yeah brush in ssome resin dab the FG then slush more resin on top of that and then set it so the extra resin drips out and your problem should take care of itself. btw love the clean lines, just saw your thread gonna follow it and watch your progress

I've seen some people resin the outside but just painting it on, then they seal all gaps in one side and slush cast the inside with polymer resin, effect is really impressive

Thanks a lot for the response and help guys. I guess I just need to be a little more patient. After the first layer dried I noticed, the teeth especially, are not all the way into the creases unfortunately. I'll try to get some more pics up this evening

What you can do is just cut the gaps that aren't right and add resin to those sections, solid resin while brittle in small doses is very strong!

That's what I was thinking, good call. I just laid some resin on the neck seal and collar plates, just curious as to how I should cut the supports out from the neck. Maybe just leave a 1/4in lip around or should I get rid of the entire support?

That's what I was thinking, good call. I just laid some resin on the neck seal and collar plates, just curious as to how I should cut the supports out from the neck. Maybe just leave a 1/4in lip around or should I get rid of the entire support?

if its fully fiberglassed internally then just dremel those struts off

It isn't glassed inside, there aren't any openings since I glued it all as one piece.I just recently resined the whole outside of it but can't get to the inside

Thanks a lot man I appreciate it! Unfortunately I think I may have to go back and size up a bit unless it's normal for this piece to line up where it should but it won't really go over your head?

Looking good so far. This your first attempt at an armor?
One suggestion I can give is this: Consider tabless pepakura on the large flat pieces.
You can get a much smoother pepakura (on pieces that go directly against each other) by not connecting via tabs, but instead supporting the paper on the backside with a free tab... Hard to describe, so I'll link you to Darkside501st's youtube video. He gives a good example of what I'm talking about on there.

Very helpful Velluminous! I thought I had seen all pepakura videos on Youtube lol. This is indeed my first attempt. I have never used fiberglass, resin, or bondo before so I have my fingers crossed I can pull it off!

Thanks ironmaided!

I haven't had much time the past few days to work on it and it doesn't help when I printed out the chest I guess I didn't check to see if the numbers would print so I've been in Pep Viewer connecting that way haha. Anyway here is where I am at as of today, almost looks like Kenny from South Park

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back