What is the best way to heat styrene?

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did I say new and exciting? Well... I want to make some L-bend brackets to support a 90 degree angle. Would a good hot hair drier work, or do I need something like a heat gun for paint stripping or even a stove top?

I think it depends on the thickness of the styrene. I've had thick pieces that wouldn't budge with a hair dryer, and other's that turned into wet pasta when faced with a heat gun.

If you have a heat gun, use that. If you don't have one, a standard stove top should work...just be sure to wear oven mits while holding the styrene. Move it back and forth over the heating element until it goes limp.

Ah, thanks. I am using 1/8" to 3/16" styrene for this "bracket" I have not done anything yet with it. We'll see how it works out. I have enough scrap to practice different methods. If I can figure a good way to do it, I'll need to make about a hundred of these buggers in varying sizes and thicknesses.

Thanks again for the advice.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back