Green Arrow's boxing glove arrow help

Yrien

Sr Member
I'm a (very) beginner costumer, and am a bit stuck on my Green Arrow costume. I've got a boxing glove (a red vinyl one sprayed green) and an arrow (a dowel) but am not sure how to go about attaching the two. Any suggestions are welcome!

But please keep in mind that I am very new at this and don't have a lot of tools and things immediately available to me, so simple solutions are likely to be the best.

Please excuse the matte parts on the glove - I sprayed one coat of the green but it didn't get into the creases/seams well, so I painted those portions with craft paint and will spray it again to even everything out.

DSC00825.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

Hmm, try wrapping something around the arrow head so it fits better inside the glove, maybe gluing a sock or something around it. Then continue to pad the glove so there is no room for it to easily pull out. Then for additional support wrap the end of the glove with a rubberband, rope, or something else to keep it on the shaft.

Thanks, sgtsparky22. I'll have to see what I have around the house. I'm sure I have a stray sock or a rag somewhere that I can appropriate for this!

WarDarkFox, the glove will be as it is in the second photo (mostly open). I'd have preferred closed, but I'm not sure how to get it into that position and keep it there! I do still have a second glove that I can play around with, though!

How about using spry foam? It will give the boxing glove some rigid structure and a place to set the arrow. this is the stuff I use
spray-foam-insulation-great-stuff-resized-600.jpg

Hmm well if you have another glove you could try using a glue gun/ superglue to keep the glove in a fist postition. Maybe a nice glob of glue, make it into a fist, and then wrap some rubber bands around it to keep its form while drying :confused

Sundowner, thanks for the spray foam suggestion - another friend thought that might work too. I guess I'll need to buy some!

WarDarkFox and SlimeTime13, I'll have to think on both of those suggestions. The glove is fairly rigid in the mostly-open shape so it might take some doing to get it to stay closed. I may have to try a combination of several things. Thanks for the ideas!

Thanks everyone for your help! I ended up going with the spray foam route, and it seems to be doing very well - no spinning or shifting at all so far! I did end up busting out the other (still red) glove because the more I mucked about with the one that had already been painted, the more the paint cracked and flaked off. I may try stripping it and redoing it at some point, but the convention is this weekend, so I don't have much time! This time, I spray-foamed first, then masked the shaft and sprayed the boxing glove green. Hopefully if I don't have to manipulate it too much, the green paint will hold up better.

I also had to abandon the dowel idea as the weight of the glove was causing the shaft to flex alarmingly. I'm now using an actual arrow shaft that a friend gave me after the tip was damaged too badly to keep shooting it. There's half a rubber ball stuck to the end to give the spray foam more space to "grab". I'll have to paint the shaft and fletching to (mostly) match the rest of the arrows (brown-stained dowels with green fletching) in my quiver.

Boxing Glove Arrow.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back