[Iron Man 3 armors] 3D models release(For reference or Foundation)

Re: [Iron Man 3] 3D models Resource Thread (For reference or Foundation)

I would bet dollars that Gameloft (the game designers) were sent models of the suits from the visual effects studios. In order for them to release the game in time for the movie, they probably got the models months ago, maybe longer. So I'm guessing the movie models underwent changes after Gameloft was sent them. And then yeah, of course, dramatically lowering the resolution of the models and the materials would get rid of some details as well.

Exactly what I was thinking too. I think the suits are accurate, just neither high detail or necessarily final. An excellent starting point as long as you compare to other reference.

This will be a great change to the iron man community..

Now if we can all figure out what to do.. :facepalm

This will be a great change to the iron man community..

Now if we can all figure out what to do.. :facepalm

No kidding, right?

I was thinking about increasing the resolution, I don't see why somebody wanting to up the detail couldn't just use the low-res model, and then use the applied texture mapping as reference to add the extra detailing. Probably not explaining this the best, but (at least for me) using the texture mapping takes out a ton of guesswork in where/how large details are, rather than using superimposed 2d images to work with. And yes, it's not lost on me that if you don't like the details shown in the texture map (quality/accuracy/etc), then you probably wouldn't wanna do this.

I'm surprised nobody's volunteered to start on one of the new ones yet :lol

you're welcome guys :).

the scale problem is easy to solve: open the 3d model on pepakura press unfold, in the field "Height" enter your height in mm and add 40-60mm for the Normal body armors(dont try this with igor), the "Scale" field will show you the scale factor for your height. Now you can split the armor and use this scale value when unfold, you can use the same value for the other armors but beware with the Heart breaker and mark 7 they are in diferent scale.

for the detail problem you can do something like this(with clay or bondo):

29635_474915972558989_1293238092_n.jpg

sorry about my english

Last edited:

just to share what i have in mind and what i'm doing with the models. . .

what i did here is for personal use only. . .not intended to be released publicly because i don't have the right to do that.

building the heartbreaker as of the moment. . .as what i've said i could work with low poly models. . .

here for example:

heartbreaker shoe. . .i'll just build this and manually add the details. .that's what i do and it works for me. . .i have dismantled the heartbreaker model to individual parts. . .

263126_455344977881300_1347853272_n.jpg

Last edited:

These models are so frickin cool. Just what this forum needed.

you're welcome guys :).

the scale problem is easy to solve: open the 3d model on pepakura press unfold, in the field "Height" enter your height in mm and add 40-60mm for the Normal body armors(dont try this with igor), the "Scale" field will show you the scale factor for your height. Now you can split the armor and use this scale value when unfold, you can use the same value for the other armors but beware with the Heart breaker and mark 7 they are in diferent scale.

for the detail problem you can do something like this(with clay or bondo):

View attachment 178381

sorry about my english

i was thinking of using clay. . .but i don't know which brand i will use. . .1st time to use clay if ever

you can use the textures to trace detail parts and it should turn out just fine, it requires more artistic talent/judgement I think. I'm going to do a test mark 5 shoulder piece to see how it looks.

you can use the textures to trace detail parts and it should turn out just fine, it requires more artistic talent/judgement I think. I'm going to do a test mark 5 shoulder piece to see how it looks.

that's what i've been doing ever since i started freehanding :eek

Maided, you should just save us modelers the time and start molding your suits, then I could spend more time wearing them than sitting in front of my laptop modeling :lol:lol:lol

Maided, you should just save us modelers the time and start molding your suits, then I could spend more time wearing them than sitting in front of my laptop modeling :lol:lol:lol

i intend to keep things in private lol. . .i'll just use it on my own. .

Yep I do believe this is the easiest way to do with these models right now. Either by cardboard or rubber.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back