[Iron Man 3 armors] 3D models release(For reference or Foundation)

Re: [Iron Man 3] 3D models Resource Thread (For reference or Foundation)

this is awesome but how does this work exactly? what are the steps when making your 3d model and then bringing into pepakura so it'll fit a person? I only used pepakura for gundam toy size paper built.I have 3ds max, but do I make low or high poly 3d model? does it have to be scaled down to a certain size in 3ds max/blender before going in pepakura or it doesn't really matter?

anyone can answer this because I would like to help out as well

I modificate the scale, with 3DSmax and ready to unfold with pepakura designer, but really now Im focused in my proyect, but Balmung gives an excelent input for the users of this forum

Scaling: It depends, since pepakura will only allow you to scale up an .obj file so far (think it's 2000%) In some instances, the model may have to be rescaled in the modeling software before it can be then scaled to human size in pepakura. You can always just rescale your model in Blender/3DS/whichever modeling software and then send it back over to Pepakura. FYI, 1 Blender 'unit' of measurement translates to 1 millimeter in Pepakura (if Pep's scale is set at 1:1)

Low res vs. High res: The higher the resolution, the better your detail and the more work it would be to build. These models would still actually look pretty cool even at full size if they were printed with their textures (colors, etc) before pepping. These models are only in the 4-5k face range (I think some are under 4k actually) so they would need quite a bit of modding to actually have all of the good details people look for. It's all relative, I think my last suit came out at something like 50 thousand faces all together, to put it into perspective.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

just scale the entire suit to your height and see if that works

Imported model vs. released promo images.
im_gemini.gif

Yep, I think it's fair to say these models should yield some excellent results. :cool

Is there any suit in particular that hasn't been made for pep yet that everyone's looking to build? A lot of cool suits here.

Here's what I meant by the face count and the resolution of the .objs without the textures/material files. They are a great starting point, beats the heck out of scratch-modeling for sure.

GEMINI unedited .OBJ:

The models with textures make for quite an accurate base to model/modify the suits, but yeah, people can't expect to just import these and pep them. They're largely merged into one object, so you can't easily split them to build each piece without work anyway. And a lot of the details just aren't there in anything but texture.

Completely agreed, Blob. FYI, I did also check on the scaling in Pepakura, and they would not need to be rescaled outside of Pepakura to fit a normal person. (The Gemini suit works out in Pepakura to something like 1000 scale to fit a 6' person, unless I goofed the math in my noggin. Not needing to recale in Blender/3DSMAX/etc is kind of a moot point though if you want to make a wearable suit, because as Blob said you'd still have to separate the pieces in your modeling software.

:thumbsup thanks again! now is there any video lesson on how to use the cut tools? I would like to know how for the foam building

Here's what I meant by the face count and the resolution of the .objs without the textures/material files. They are a great starting point, beats the heck out of scratch-modeling for sure.

GEMINI unedited .OBJ:
[url]http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/3baf/2nlo9olc5q2aql54g.jpg[/URL]

Completely agreed, Blob. FYI, I did also check on the scaling in Pepakura, and they would not need to be rescaled outside of Pepakura to fit a normal person. (The Gemini suit works out in Pepakura to something like 1000 scale to fit a 6' person, unless I goofed the math in my noggin. Not needing to recale in Blender/3DSMAX/etc is kind of a moot point though if you want to make a wearable suit, because as Blob said you'd still have to separate the pieces in your modeling software.

When I import them into 3DS Max scaled to 100x, they work out to 180 units, which if you take it as centimeters, is right on 6ft. That might be complete coincidence, but regardless, it should make for a pretty close starting point.

Imported model vs. released promo images.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/BlobVanDam/im_gemini.gif

Yep, I think it's fair to say these models should yield some excellent results. :cool

Is there any suit in particular that hasn't been made for pep yet that everyone's looking to build? A lot of cool suits here.

Hey would you mind doing the War Machine and the Iron Patriot?

This weekend I was trying to extract models of mobile game iron man 3, I finally managed to extract them.

The models are low-poly but may be useful as a reference or foundation for 3d/Clay modellers, or for those who just want an 1:1 papercraft Iron man:

View attachment 178113View attachment 178110View attachment 178108View attachment 178114View attachment 178115View attachment 178116View attachment 178117View attachment 178118View attachment 178119View attachment 178120View attachment 178121View attachment 178122View attachment 178123View attachment 178111View attachment 178112View attachment 178124

The 3d files:
IM3 armor.rar

thanks for sharing! is really good reference than anything on web pics! I have an jailbroken iphone but i could find the directory for all these?
are they taken from andriod apk?

Is it just me, or is the Silver Centurion model not all that close to the movie version? The helmet is quite differently shaped, and the proportions of the chest and pelvis are different.
I've noticed some other minor differences on other suits, mostly in the colouring though. Maybe they weren't quite 100% finalized suits when they made them for the game? Just a thought to keep in mind when looking over these suits.

Is it just me, or is the Silver Centurion model not all that close to the movie version? The helmet is quite differently shaped, and the proportions of the chest and pelvis are different.
I've noticed some other minor differences on other suits, mostly in the colouring though. Maybe they weren't quite 100% finalized suits when they made them for the game? Just a thought to keep in mind when looking over these suits.

Personally I think it's just lazy model work on the part of the game's production staff. Even the Mark 3 is lazily textured. But hey, it's still better than nothing at all, right?

Personally I think it's just lazy model work on the part of the game's production staff. Even the Mark 3 is lazily textured. But hey, it's still better than nothing at all, right?

I'm not so sure about that first point. It doesn't look "bad/lazy" wrong to me, it looks like "different design" wrong. And the Gemini suit is spot on if you check out my comparison on page 1 (ignoring slight differences in perspective and stance). I think these are likely derived from the movie models in some form, or have a very close lineage, rather than just quickly slapped together.
There are obviously compromises in these models due to the low poly count and low res texturing, but as you said, it's better than nothing. Much better! Most of the research work is done, which is a huge time saver.

is not dude, is because of the polygon supported in the mobile game processing and CG quality:D
what they do is, model high res poly, extract the bitmap in high res, then apply the high res mapping onto the low res poly model.

So game running smooth and better image quality...

Correct me if I'm wrong... as a friend who know game development told me, I'm not expert of that area... ha

I'm not so sure about that first point. It doesn't look "bad/lazy" wrong to me, it looks like "different design" wrong. And the Gemini suit is spot on if you check out my comparison on page 1 (ignoring slight differences in perspective and stance). I think these are likely derived from the movie models in some form, or have a very close lineage, rather than just quickly slapped together.
There are obviously compromises in these models due to the low poly count and low res texturing, but as you said, it's better than nothing. Much better! Most of the research work is done, which is a huge time saver.

I would bet dollars that Gameloft (the game designers) were sent models of the suits from the visual effects studios. In order for them to release the game in time for the movie, they probably got the models months ago, maybe longer. So I'm guessing the movie models underwent changes after Gameloft was sent them. And then yeah, of course, dramatically lowering the resolution of the models and the materials would get rid of some details as well.

oh damn... it's beautifulll.. thanks balmung >, < :eek

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back