Latex and chrome spray...

The Terminator

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Did a search and read through most of the threads regarding chrome, but no one mentions using it on latex so my question is: Does anyone here have any hands on experience with this? Can you take a piece of latex and paint it using spray on chrome? Not asking if it will look like real chrome... more like will it actually stick to the latex?

Sticking is one thing but will it flex without cracking or flaking? If someone doesn't chime in with a definitive answer you may have to do some tests on some scrap pieces of latex.

latex doesnt like hard cure paints no matter what they are. they will shatter crack all over the piece. you must use a flexible paint. to my knowledge there isnt a good flexible chrome. Noone in our shop has any suggestions but let me check with my buddy over at Legacy.

I have a thought. there is silver spray paint for shoes for the film industry its called meltonian nu-life. you might try that

i've had some success with making metal-looking parts on latex by mixing a small amount of chrome or metallic-silver spray paint/enamel into rubber cement and painting it over a gray or black base coat. i thin the mix to taste with mineral spirits and usually add several coats. there are metallic powders like pearl ex that can also be used. a little goes a long way because the rubber cement is transparent. you are not going to get a true chrome shine on latex, though.

it should also be noted that if you use any solvent based metallic gold or bronze colored paint on latex it will prematurely turn the latex to goo due to the copper reacting with the latex.

also, mixing pearl ex or some water based metallic paint into perma wet, arleene's fabric glue, or some flexible gloss artists varnish might work, though i've never tried it.

Ok here is what my buddy at legacy fx (iron man) recommends. Best is from Sam at imperial coatings. Second is by using his imperiflex then putting shrapnel on top. 3 rd is pearl ex powdered pig and cut into rubber cement . Cheapest not real chrome though

I have a thought. there is silver spray paint for shoes for the film industry its called meltonian nu-life. you might try that

Don't want silver, or bronze or worse copper, only chrome, hence the title.

i've had some success with making metal-looking parts on latex by mixing a small amount of chrome or metallic-silver spray paint/enamel into

Enamel chrome paint sucks, one of the first things I learned in my reserach.

latex doesnt like hard cure paints no matter what they are. they will shatter crack all over the piece. you must use a flexible paint. to my knowledge there isnt a good flexible chrome. Noone in our shop has any suggestions but let me check with my buddy over at Legacy.

Actually there is... they mention and show it off in action in the behind the scenes stuff from Star Wars Episode 3, where the stunt sabers were chromed rubber, very bendy. Haven't found anything about it online though.

Ok here is what my buddy at legacy fx (iron man) recommends. Best is from Sam at imperial coatings. Second is by using his imperiflex then putting shrapnel on top. 3 rd is pearl ex powdered pig and cut into rubber cement . Cheapest not real chrome though

um what?? :S http://daviesimperial.com this? or http://www.imperialcoatings.com this?? :confused Shrapnel?? Why? I want a nice chrome finish not some heavily damaged finish.

Hey no need to be pissy about it. I am giving you a tip from the guy that painted all of the terminator stuff for the last 2 films. If you don't want the tip then ignore it. Don't get pissy with me. Good luck. I will not contribute to this thread any more.

Odd word to use for the product name :p don't find that either using google :(

Yeah it's a bit...misleading. Google is also a bit strange on finding it.

Imperial | The Next Generation In High Tech Custom Paints

Shrapnel

Imperiflex

The site to actually order the product seems to be down so maybe contact the owner to see he's still selling. The imperiflex I think is the one you'll need to help get stuff to stick on the latex. The shrapnel though is bit expensive so contact the dude to see if he's still selling 4 or 8 oz.

Good luck too, I've been curious to see if latex can take metal paints so this should be interesting to see. :thumbsup

Yeah it's a bit...misleading. Google is also a bit strange on finding it.

Imperial | The Next Generation In High Tech Custom Paints

Shrapnel

Imperiflex

The site to actually order the product seems to be down so maybe contact the owner to see he's still selling. The imperiflex I think is the one you'll need to help get stuff to stick on the latex. The shrapnel though is bit expensive so contact the dude to see if he's still selling 4 or 8 oz.

Good luck too, I've been curious to see if latex can take metal paints so this should be interesting to see. :thumbsup

Thanks for the links :) I will definitely ask if he sells 4 oz, because I definitely won't need much. So 32 oz... ridiculous :p

I will post pictures later when I start the experimenting. I don't have any deadline so it will take time.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back