Man Of Steel Replica

steamshovel

Hey team, so I've been wondering what to do for my next cosplay since my Captain America...

http://www.therpf.com/f67/captain-america-first-avenger-tfa-cosplay-180295/

I've been bit by Ironman and waiting to start that, but in the meantime for summer-thought why not Man Of Steel.

So I will be starting on this by searching for correct fabric colors, making my own stencil for the fabrics, and just having fun. I have not sewn spandex, so if anyone has a tip. Let me know!

I have five colors of spandex I think are close. It's hard to chose because lighting changes the colors so much in pictures. So opinions are welcomed!

Attachments

• man-of-steel-costume1.jpg
    man-of-steel-costume1.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 1,642
  • body front 2.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 2,372
  • -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 879
Yay! I'm so glad you've found something new to work on. I'm kinda partial to the last fabric on the left. It has the most gray in it.

Let me know if you need some help, I'd be glad to skype, once my horrible thesis work is over.

Thanks Freya! I am going shopping this week at some point once I hear back from the stencil makers. As I mentioned earlier I am not going to get the suit printed. I am going to stencil it! process, but I'll be happiest with that. Funny thing though, I asked one of the spandex guys here in midtown if I could have them print my pattern and he said yeah! I then asked how much... ;) $12 yd. with a 1,000 yd minimum... Glad I asked...

Since I have all these other factors I am waiting on, I figured hey, why not try out the gauntlets real quick? So I made these cuts yesterday morning. Still need to adhere them together, rubber coat with plastic-dip, and paint before they will look good. :)-1.jpg-2.jpg
They are based off these...
View attachment arms.JPG

good luck with the build. can't wait to see how it turns out. its good to see more people starting to tackle this suit

subscribed for sure

It is just the craft foam from michaels. Got a huge pack on sale ($4.95) last year do work on captain america. These are just the scraps. Two layered on top are 1/8".

Hi there. I'm using drifit fabric. This fabric sometimes photographs bluer and sometimes grey blue, and sometimes more grey. Stretch fabrics are best sewn using a serger machine which cuts as it sews and the threads stretch with the fabric. Here are the tights I sewed.
image.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg Here is my New 52 Superman that I sewed myself using a serger machine and drifit fabric! The great thing was, the fabric was only $5 a kilo! I ruined 5-7 costumes before I finished this but no worries since the fabric was cheap! Hahaha. But not bad for a first time sewer don't you think?

SuperG - Fantastic job mate! I will definitely look into the custom artisans silicone pieces! Will be worth it to get that instead of taking my time to make my own possibly. Great job on the serger machine. I have never used one but once you said that, I started looking them up. I may just try to find a cheapy on Amazon.

So was not happy after looking closer at my gauntlets. I opened up the costume files extremely large in photoshop and got a better idea of what they need to be. I could see the close of the two sides has a rather nice gap opening more over the ulna (the lateral forearm bone). So the ridge is not centered over the piece like I had initially done. It's off to the side. I also have my pack of razors that was on a job site that I got back, so yay for extremely fresh blades and I can now cut at angles. Here is one of the new gauntlets.

-3.jpg-4.jpg-5.jpg-6.jpg

As again with my cap costume, I think I will try to do this on a budget. So far I have spent $32 on 4 yards of spandex. Pictured below as well. When I get word back from the stencil guys, I'll let you know how much that will cost. I'm guessing $200. It's a custom stencil that I honestly don't have the time or patience to make. I know I have it in me, I just don't want to dig down that deep to find it. ;)

The other thing that is interesting about the fabric is in different lights, you can see how drastically it changes color. Almost gray to black. For some reason, the camera is not picking up the blue in it very well.

But Freya, I had Kristin help me with choosing the color, and guess what, she chose the same one you did. ;) I figured if I have two geniuses saying something, I should listen. ;)

Those new Guantlets look fantastic! I mean, so did the first ones, but yea. Nice clean work with great use of budget materials.

So I primed what I had on here before, then ran out to Home Depot for a spot and while I was there found they don't carry plasti-dip anymore! They only carry the Rustoleum rubber. It shoots out a much more severe stream that doesn't coat as much as blast. Which it great for other projects, not to much my gauntlets. We'll see. I am not happy with the amount of texture that has been added, but hopefully in two hours time, I will have better pics for you all. I also grabbed a metallic paint/primer in FLAT Soft Iron. A bit darker than I would hope, but again, time will tell.primed gauntlet.jpgrubbercoat gauntlet.jpg

Your progress so far is awesome! I can't wait to see the final product. The gauntlets look spot on. You posted in another thread the method you're using for the chain mail texture; can you go over that again for me?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back