what release agent for platinum silicone molds?

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i don't normally use platinum silicone so unsure of what to use. i'm just using up a little i had.

i know this stuff is a bit awkward sometimes.

i have a piece that requires a 2 part mold. a bottom and a top.

the bottom is already poured, i need to stop the top pour from sticking to the lower.

what do i use?

i use spray wax and or vaseline on tin silicone no problem.

i did search google but f. all info.

please only reply if you actually know, not looking for guesses.

thanks

-z

I've used Mann "Ease Release 200" on Smooth-On platinum silicones (Mold Star & Rebound) and it's always worked very well for me with seam lines and multi part molds.

Edit: Before using this I also used Meguiar's Caranuba wax with no problems whatsoever.

Don't use vaseline with Platium silicon's they sometimes react, any good brand mold release should do the job, spray the surface and sides of your box mold and let dry for a few moments before you pour.

Second on the Mann Ease Release 200. I've also had good results with their 205 release when casting EcoFlex10-30(platinum) into Rebound molds.

Be careful how much release agent you use - Too much and you can inhibit the surface. Too little and your parts may laminate together.

I'd recommend a thin, brushed-up layer of Sonite wax and then a light dusting of a release agent - 200/205,etc.

Thanks for the replies, just found Mann Ease Release 200 for sale in the u.k.

glad i didn't try the vaseline.

what about a spray wax?
this is what i have.
it works well with the tin silicone.
Bonda AFH Spray Wax Release Agent 400ml - mbfg.co.uk
will this inhibit the cure at all?
i have just enough silicone for the top part of the mold.

having the top mold not cure due to the release agent i choose is my biggest worry.

cheers

-z

Last edited:
Glad to hear it all worked out, Z. I know it's after-the-fact, but I was going to recommend Chem Trend's MR-515 mold release agent. Works flawlessly with all silicones I've used!

Kind regards,
Craig

yeah for all the silicone i had left i didn't really want to buy some release. i don't think i'll buy platinum again, to be honest i didn't see much difference in performance from the usual tin stuff i use.

thanks again to those who replied:thumbsup

The difference in performance will come 6 months to a year down the line, when the tin silicones are falling apart.

Don't use vaseline with Platium silicon's they sometimes react, any good brand mold release should do the job, spray the surface and sides of your box mold and let dry for a few moments before you pour.
It is the old "test a small spot" because I have had no problem using Vaseline with Rebound and one of the other rubbers from SmoothOn (can't remember if it was Mold Star or Mold Max). Actually, I do have a problem in that I then spend a few minutes getting the Vaseline off of the part I am casting before I make the mold so I don't get brush strokes on the casts.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back