Making a Rubber Machete

csmolins89

Hey everyone, first post here , but I am looking for some help/ guidance on how to create a rubber machete. I am in pre production right now on a short film and basically I am needing a rubber machete for a special fx shot I am planning. Basically I want to take an existing real machete and make a rubber mold of it so a character can be hit with it and I don't have to worry about injuring someone. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

your asking for much more than can be explained in text. Search youtube for molding and casting tutorials. On top of that your looking at a good amount of cash in materials. You may want to look into making the entire thing from scratch or even an off the shelf Halloween toy to double. Laugh but keep in mind if the machete is moving, it can be near anything that matches in size and color as long as the hero prop is established.

EVA foam floor mat would make a good, safe blade as would black craft foam on either side of a bamboo slat stiffener.

Is the cost worth the work? I saw a couple of videos online and seeing as I've never done it before and its probably going to cost extra for screw ups. Any thoughts?

moldi9ng and making a rubber machete to be used in a low budget movie is complete overkill especially since you dont know what your doing, or already have the materials needed just laying around. make one out of black foam and some silver paint like ahoudini mentioned.

the cost/time it takes will NOT be worth it, if all you need it for is to swing at a few people in a low budget movie.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back