Morrowind Daedric dagger - WIP

Maaso

This is my first DIY prop, please be gentle on me.

For those of you that don't know, Morrowind is the third game in the Elders Scrolls series and is the predecessor to Skyrim.....I'm sure all of you have heard of Skyrim so you should be familiar with the series. That is all I'll say about the history of the dagger, now onto the prop.

this is what the dagger is supposed to look like when all I said and done.

I started off extracting the 3D file, unfolding in Pepakura, etc... The pep process has been covered here hundreds of times so I didn't take too many pictures of the building process. But I got a few since I think all WIP needs pictures. I will however say this is my second pep project (the first one didn't turn out so well) so I feel that I'm experienced enough to offer advice. Build little sections at a time, don't build it all off of one cut-out. As you can see in the photo below I build the "more difficult" sections separately then put it all together. Doing it this way will allow one to compensate for minor mistakes and allow them to be somewhat corrected. On my first project I built everything off of the first piece I cut out, and I noticed after the glue dried some of the pieces shifted and didn't line up properly. At the end of the project almost nothing lined up. Anywho, on with the project....

After I was moderately happy with the over all shape of the blade I started to add the accent's to the blade. I don't own a Dremel or any rotary tools, so I carved my blade accent's the old fashioned way; with a scribe and a small pointy needle file. I did my best eyeballing on the details to be drawn out and carved into the blade. I know they aren't perfect - as you can see on the first picture below it took me a couple tries until I was happy with it.....pencil doesn't erase too well from primer either by the way.

Being this is my second pep unfolding project, and first to be actually cut out and built. I'd like to say I nailed the scale perfectly for guessing my way through that part.

I started carving the other side of the blade out last night, I only get to work on this a few hours a week so updates will be few and far between. Right now I'm waiting until payday to buy some more materials. But I have to ask, is there an easier method of forming all the complex shapes and crevices on the handle? I planned on building up some Bondo and carving them out like I did on the blade....but that took forever and really fatigued my hand. I've looked at forming the accents with the milliput stuff I've seen mentioned here numerous times. But it seems rather expensive for what appears to be a little amount, so is there anything out there that is similar but cheaper?

You might want to pick up a handheld engraver. They can either be battery powered or plug in, and you use em to etch your name or designs into stuff with the end that spins around.

The dagger is looking pretty badass. I ran the idea of the skyrim version past the guy who does my ruby daggers, and he just said "Nope. Not gonna do it" :lol

Can't wait to see it finished up!

The only sculpting stuff I can think of that might be cheaper than milliput but still kinda detail oriented is Magic Sculpt. It hardens pretty well, and should work for some detail. Haven't ever tried anything this small though. Check with madmanmoe64 on his hellboy compass/corpse locator thread. Dude did some incredibly detailed work with tiny tiny vines and glyphs. He should be able to give you some pointers.

Good luck with it :)
Chris

I got to work on my dagger a few hours last night, didn't get much done. With my complete lack of artistic ability I managed to paint one side of the blade pretty decently. It reminds me of the average Maaco paint job; up close it looks like ****, but from a distance it doesn't look too bad. There are a few places I need to touch up still when I get some more time. But this is what it looks like right now....

(cell phone is all I have at the moment, I apologize for the poor quality)

I got to work with Rub 'n Buff for the first time too. Man, a little bit of that stuff goes a LONG way. All the silver on that blade came from just a little Q-tip dabbed into the lid of the stuff. I still need to go in and add the black accents towards the center of the blade, probably redo the red parts, and clean up the line around the edge. Maybe on my next night off....

Also, Hydin. As per your suggestion I went and bought myself a Dremel with the engraving attachment thingy. It doesn't seem as precise as my little files, but I think it will work just fine.

Got a few free hours tonight, spent most of it watching some painting tutorials on the Youtube. I still can't get the same effect those people were. Or maybe I am, I don't know because from a few feet away this blade looks like it might pass for being "okay" but up close is another story....

I made my first carve into the handle too just to see how this Dremel would work....I think I might like it. Curious though; is there a way to make a cheap one-time mold? I'd like spare handle blank in case I mess up carving it out.

It's been about five months since I've had time to work on this project. But update time! Kind of. My brother came over and noticed the blade on the back of my project table. My brother is a bit of a fantasy knife "hobbyist" (I saw it like that since he knows just about every fantasy knife there is but doesn't own a single one). Anywho, I saw the blade and inquired about it and I showed him the picture of what it's supposed to look like. And he told me it's a rip off of a Kit Rae knife, The Leviathan. So I did a bit of Google searching and found that it's not a knock off per se, but VERY closely based off it. So now what I'm doing is watching the eBay for one to pop up. There are always a few posted for $50-100 but I'm holding out for the $20 sales I always seem to be missing by just a few hours.

Here is a picture of the Kit Rae knife. As you can see the blade texture/length is different and the holes in the handle. But other than that it might be easier to modify this handle to work with my blade, or something...I don't know yet, I'll wait until I find one then see what I can do with it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back