HALO 1:1 assault rifle

tommin

Sr Member
EDIT: Topic Description Only (see post #60)

I've seen several really nice props come to reality from the first game but haven't found much on the assault rifle. There is an active 1:1 assortment of props thread on the board but I thought it would be a better idea to keep this one focussed on the assault rifle itself. Maybe we will eventually see something come to fruition with it.

The assault rifle is not very effective at long range but find yourself in a room filled with xenos and nothing does a better job at clearing it short of a plasma grenade. Sound familiar? ;) Rationing your ammo requires somewhat of a learning curve as you master your aim and utilize short, controlled bursts of fire against your opponents. You soon find yourself feeling the warm & fuzzies as you swap magazines after smoking multiple hostile targets. The digital ammo counter that faces you, not only, makes for a handy heads up display but also adds to your strategy and sometimes the suspense of the campaign. The mag-light on the business end makes for a nice touch sometimes too.

After doing a brief search for some handy reference images, I found this one.

rifle.jpg

It is remote linked off of the levels4you website but I will be glad to host it on a 'stand alone' server if that is a problem. There is very few other decent reference images that I could find on it. If anyone has anything additional reference material on this particular weapon, please feel free to add it to this thread.

Am fairly sure that someone has already begun replicating this magnificent weapon and would be glad to see what has been done so far. If not, would any of you gun gurus have a suggestion for a base weapon? As far as I can tell, the frame looks like something that would need to be completely scratch built. The foregrip looks similar to a SPAS 12 part but I do not think it would meet the dimensional requirements for an accurate reproduction. There are dimensions floating around somewhere but, while surfing the net, I've lost track of them.

Maybe I'm just the only one that would like to see one of these mounted on my wall. It's fairly early in the morning and Hudson's been keeping me awake with his endless repertoire of shenanigans. "Hudson, come here..... COME HERE..." LOL.

img5.jpg

I got him on x-mas day. He turned 5 weeks old on the 27th, already house broken, and eats like a friekin' monster. HA.. There... I got to show him off. :D

...in any event, back on the topic at hand.. Yeah. Um... what about this HALO assault rifle? Anyone working on one or remotely interested in it? Info? Pics? Ideas?

Easy...how soon do you need it?

I got nothing but spare time and more money than I know what to do with...

:lol

Heh that's a good one...

I like that particular design, lets try and dig up some wire frames or line drawings and go from there...
And no I am not taking this project up as such...If someone else can do it for hevans sake please do.

Matt

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matsuo @ Dec 31 2006, 09:38 AM) [snapback]1387689[/snapback]</div>
Easy...how soon do you need it?

I got nothing but spare time and more money than I know what to do with...

:lol

Heh that's a good one...

I like that particular design, lets try and dig up some wire frames or line drawings and go from there...
And no I am not taking this project up as such...If someone else can do it for hevans sake please do.

Matt
[/b]

If somebody can build it
I could help make the molds of it

TK648

Theres one thats been on my "gotta have" list for a long time. I've been collecting any images I can and trying to figure out the basic dimensions from the drawings. But if somebody beats me to actual contsruction and releases a kit, I won't complain :p

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Dec 31 2006, 11:33 PM) [snapback]1387980[/snapback]</div>
Theres one thats been on my "gotta have" list for a long time. I've been collecting any images I can and trying to figure out the basic dimensions from the drawings. But if somebody beats me to actual contsruction and releases a kit, I won't complain :p

Brian
[/b]

Any good pictures to share then?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(UniversalExports @ Dec 31 2006, 07:51 AM) [snapback]1387665[/snapback]</div>
awwwwwwwww....Hudson's soooo cute..[/b]
Yeah, he was really workin' his charm in that picture but you haven't seen his dark side. I'll pass along the compliment just the same. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matsuo @ Dec 31 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]1387689[/snapback]</div>

Matt
[/b]
I thought this one would be right up your alley, Matt. ;)

Thanks for the hook up with the picture, Mike. Helpful, as always.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TK648 @ Dec 31 2006, 04:43 PM) [snapback]1387939[/snapback]</div>
If somebody can build it
I could help make the molds of it

TK648
[/b]

That's good to know. I'm warming up the shop. Will see if there is anything that I can do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RodianJedi @ Dec 31 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]1388068[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Dec 31 2006, 11:33 PM) [snapback]1387980[/snapback]

Brian
[/b]

Any good pictures to share then?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah.. Brian, please feel free to post up anything that you think might help push this project forward. That is, any material that you deem de-classifieid. :D

Looks like the designers borrowed heavily from the HkMp7...
mp7comp.jpg

wackychimp provides

I swiped the Mp7 from here..so credit where credit is due. :)

Stretch it a bit and I think you got it...unfortunately that doesn't help us much.
As with any scratch build of a CG gun you have to make some decisions, either work the design around an existing gun, allow for some inaccuracies for the sake of having a "shooter" or just do a full scratch build so that the piece cosmetically matches the render perfectly...and let the chips fall where they may in regards to fitting an airsoft inside...or compromise between the two...either way you'll end up with an impressive piece.

I'm a bit concerned with the ergonomics of the weapon as shown though. The location of the grip in proximity to the shoulder stock is awkward at best...Unless the gun is intended to be fired entirely offhand.
If you were to shoulder it you'd need a sliding stock, which the Mp7 provides...also what appears to be the charging handle is right in the operators face....small nitpicks from a real gun builders point of view... :D

M

Last edited by a moderator:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matsuo @ Jan 1 2007, 10:23 AM) [snapback]1388258[/snapback]</div>
As with any scratch build of a CG gun you have to make some decisions, either work the design around an existing gun, allow for some inaccuracies for the sake of having a "shooter" or just do a full scratch build so that the piece cosmetically matches the render perfectly...and let the chips fall where they may in regards to fitting an airsoft inside...or compromise between the two...either way you'll end up with an impressive piece.

I'm a bit concerned with the ergonomics of the weapon as shown though. The location of the grip in proximity to the shoulder stock is awkward at best...Unless the gun is intended to be fired entirely offhand.
If you were to shoulder it you'd need a sliding stock, which the Mp7 provides...also what appears to be the charging handle is right in the operators face....small nitpicks from a real gun builders point of view... :D

M
[/b]
Nice comparison picture, Matt. Thanks.. After creating some rough sketches, I'm thinking that it would be better off not to worry about it being a 'shooter' and retain its dimenstional accuracies as a replica. This is only to suggest leaning more toward having room to install electronics, counter, speaker (possible sound FX) and a few moving parts. I would definitely prefer a sliding stock but don't remember ever seeing it 'shouldered' in the game. Removable magazine and spring loaded charging handle would be a must. Yeah, I noticed it being in an awkward place but, more than likely, it was designed that way for the game's visual theatrics and not for 'real world' combat.

However, in the end, I would go with whatever would be best to satisify a possible interested group of people and overall project cost. Semi-functional but accurate non-shooter? ...or fully functional weapon 'inspired by'... Now that decision looks like the first hurdle to overcome.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghost Host @ Jan 1 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]1388323[/snapback]</div>
I started one about 3 years ago but didn't get too far. I still want one.
[/b]
It's hard to believe this game has been out that long. Eh?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JediG60racer @ Jan 1 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]1388353[/snapback]</div>
ooh. ooh.. Want dat...
[/b]
Me too.. :D

As for the assault rifle; I was studying the upper shroud section earlier today. Anyone experience with vacu-forming? Would it be possible to make that part as one piece? ...just a shell that could be trimmed down like those Nitro RC racing car bodies? But thicker? I was thinking of fabricating a wooden plug for that part and set it to the side for later. If this sounds feasible, it would make things a lot easier on the rest of the weapon. That is, aside from the lower fore-grip...

Well, here is a rough size estimate I've been putzing with with. The length is a tad over 3 feet. You'll have to pardon the mix of metric and American. I'm converting and tweaking the dimensions.I started using this drawing.
[attachmentid=11876]
But switched to a more accurate image
[attachmentid=11822]
so anything in inches is off a bit. Plus my lines are a bit of a mess right now. I'm hoping to have it finished sometime.......this year :D
The foregrip is exagerated, but everything else looks pretty good. The teaser trailer for Halo 3 has a much more detailed rifle, and when I find the space, I'll see if I can post the screen shots I captured.

Brian

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Matsuo @ Jan 1 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]1388258[/snapback]</div>
Looks like the designers borrowed heavily from the HkMp7...
mp7comp.jpg

wackychimp provides

I swiped the Mp7 from here..so credit where credit is due. :)

Stretch it a bit and I think you got it...unfortunately that doesn't help us much.

M
[/b]

Actually Matt, you'll have to stretch it alot. :p I blew up this drawing to life size to see what I'd be getting myself into, and well, as you can see, its a BEAST. Thats my TM G36C for comparison.
[attachmentid=12011]
So if anyone wanted to do an airsoft version, room would not be a problem. :lol I was thinking of modifying a FAMAS for this, but the only items used would be the internals, the magazine, and maybe the grip and lower frame to hold it all together in the outer shell. I'm sure it would fit, and rate of fire the TM FAMAS would match that of the Assualt Rifle, but it would be expensive to buy a whole rifle just to strip of its outer shell. Just my two cents worth.

Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing, I'd love to see this gun done, I've attempted it a few times myself, but never really got it off the ground.
Just to thow another question into the mix, the thing I struggled with was whether to make it 1:1 scaled to be held by the hulking master cheif in the game, but not much use me...or..an accurate slightly scaled down version so that while costuming, it wouldnt look like I was an armored spartan with a rifle that was way too big for me.

Risk looking like a small child holding someone elses great big gun :lol

Wow, nice project. I would also like to see this gun made. Huge fan of the Halo games, and even more into the weapons. It was saddening when they took this weapon out of the picture for Halo 2 (it was my favourite gun), but on the bright side it looks like they're bringing it back in Halo 3 (MC is holding it in the first trailer).

In my opinion, I think a 1:1 scale replica of the gun would be awesome for display instead of a smaller version (I have so many friends who also love this gun, and showing it off to them would be priceless). But, as for costuming, it probably wouldn't be the best thing. I'm all for the 1:1 scale, though. :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 1 2007, 10:08 PM) [snapback]1388666[/snapback]</div>
I started using this drawing.
[attachmentid=11822]
But switched to a more accurate image so anything in inches is off a bit. Plus my lines are a bit of a mess right now. I'm hoping to have it finished sometime.......this year :D
The foregrip is exagerated, but everything else looks pretty good. The teaser trailer for Halo 3 has a much more detailed rifle, and when I find the space, I'll see if I can post the screen shots I captured.
Brian
[/b]
I like that drawing, Brian. Now we are getting somewhere. The metric conversions won't be a problem. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Weazel1 @ Jan 1 2007, 10:34 PM) [snapback]1388675[/snapback]</div>
I blew up this drawing to life size to see what I'd be getting myself into, and well, as you can see, its a BEAST. Thats my TM G36C for comparison. [attachmentid=11826]
So if anyone wanted to do an airsoft version, room would not be a problem.[/b]

Very nice.. Is that G36C a true 1:1 scale?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ToothTech @ Jan 1 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]1388705[/snapback]</div>
Here's a link to Tom's thread over at the BBC--not as much info there, but cross referencing can't hurt :)

BBC HALO 1:1 AR thread
[/b]

Agreed.. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guardian Devil @ Jan 2 2007, 04:46 AM) [snapback]1388793[/snapback]</div>
Just to thow another question into the mix, the thing I struggled with was whether to make it 1:1 scaled to be held by the hulking master cheif in the game, but not much use me...or..an accurate slightly scaled down version so that while costuming, it wouldnt look like I was an armored spartan with a rifle that was way too big for me.[/b]

That's a good point. But, this particular weapon was not unique to the Spartan but standard issue to the Marines deployed to HALO. If anything, the master chief dwarfed the weapon. If we look at it from that perspective, the weapon would need to be scaled down. However, doing so would eliminate other opportunites for costuming. I just can't picture twenty or thirty Spartans marching at DCon '07. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tommin @ Jan 2 2007, 12:12 PM) [snapback]1388808[/snapback]</div>
But, this particular weapon was not unique to the Spartan but standard issue to the Marines deployed to HALO. If anything, the master chief dwarfed the weapon.[/b]

Exactly what I was trying to get at, if the gun is over three feet (36") long, as mentioned earlier. Wouldnt that pretty much dwarf any human being?
I'm not exactly a small guy, but I'd struggle to hold such a monster.
As you said this wasnt just a big hulking gun for the Master Chief. They're meant to be the standard issue for the standard human sized marines to carry and use. They hold it with ease and it was the perfect size for them. Chief just happens to be using one.
From the pictures I've been looking at, it changes size whenever its needed to :lol

Heres a couple of pictures with it being held by marines:
marines.jpg

marine1.jpg

and of course here's MC on the new Halo 3 trailer and in this picture it appears bigger than when marines have it for it to be this size compared to him.
HALO_02.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kadajiroth @ Jan 2 2007, 06:01 AM) [snapback]1388806[/snapback]</div>
In my opinion, I think a 1:1 scale replica of the gun would be awesome for display instead of a smaller version (I have so many friends who also love this gun, and showing it off to them would be priceless). But, as for costuming, it probably wouldn't be the best thing. I'm all for the 1:1 scale, though. :D
[/b]
I think it would be possible to replicate this AR as a 1:1 and the finished product remain highly costumable. We'll see. Sorry, I missed your post earlier. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Guardian Devil @ Jan 2 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]1388827[/snapback]</div>
Exactly what I was trying to get at, if the gun is over three feet (36") long, as mentioned earlier. Wouldnt that pretty much dwarf any human being? As you said this wasnt just a big hulking gun for the Master Chief. They're meant to be the standard issue for the standard human sized marines to carry and use. They hold it with ease and it was the perfect size for them. Chief just happens to be using one...
...and of course here's MC on the new Halo 3 trailer and in this picture it appears bigger than when marines have it for it to be this size compared to him.
HALO_02.jpg

[/b]
Ah. I misunderstood your post and see what you mean, now. Thanks for clarifying. :) Looks like the decision on a good length should be left up to what would better suite 'our' needs. If we can come up with an agreeable length, then the rest of the dimensions will fall into place from there.
BTW, thanks for sharing that pic. There's some excellent detail in that shot. :D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back