"IF" Robert Downey Jr. retires as Iron Man, what "COULD" Marvel/Disney do to replace/

MTCOOLJ

When I heard the rumors I just had to do some digging and every interview I could find with RDJ sitting down and talking about his decision to retire after The Avengers 2 just put me into an even lower state of depression. Alas life is life, RDJ is TONY STARK... I'm sorry but no one can replace that magnificent man. They can try but they're going to have a really hard time doing so...

So I had some gears turning in my head and I cranked out three possible ways that marvel/disney could keep RDJ in the roll of things, back to work and thrilling all of us time and time again... Following are the three possibilities let me know what you think :)

Option #1 though confusing for new Iron Man fans would be the best option for sticking to the storyline.

1.) Marvel kicks "The Crossing" storyline from the comics into action, but we know not all of what marvel has done for the movie storyline follows the comics, so let's switch it up a bit. Tony Stark dies in a future battle with everyone's favorite present and some new Avengers. That is if RDJ could stand to sign on for another 5 year contract term. The death of Tony is a fatal blow to the Avengers. To be able to defeat this super-villian the Avengers travel back in time to an alternate time-line with the help of Director Fury to recruit a teenaged Tony Stark to help them in their own future time-line. Of course he returns with them dons the Iron Man suit and picks up where his alternate self left off. Though this option would totally remove RDJ from the movie line, it would however start a career for a young RDJ look alike.

Option #2 would keep RDJ in the role of things, though lessening his physical take on the movie, he would be more of a consultant.

2.) After or before the events of The Avengers 2, Tony and Pepper join each other in marriage and give birth to a son whom they name "Tony Stark Jr.". A certain number of years pass and we see Tony Stark has become the Director of S.H.I.E.L.D and his son TSJ (Tony Stark Jr.), in his mid to late teenage years. With the intelligence and cocky attitude of his father that we've grown to love. Tony Stark has acted as a mentor to his son, passing on his knowledge and experience, handing the mantle of Iron Man to a new generation. As the new Iron Man TSJ often gets into trouble and jumps into fights with the wrong intentions but what are fathers for? Tony Stark guides his son and shapes him into the hero he needs to be. TSJ later joins the Avengers to battle a new threat to not only earth, but to the universe as well.

I figured option #2 was kind of familiar, I sorta based it off of DC's Batman Beyond, but with a few twists and turns. This option would ultimately keep RDJ in the Marvel/Disney Franchise... he would still be making appearances as the director of S.H.I.E.L.D. as well as mentoring his son, the new Iron Man.

Lastly option #3 in all intentions is more of a joke but funny as hell imo and ironic.

3.) RDJ steps down as Iron Man and they re-cast like they plan on doing, but with a twist. They offer Paul Blettany the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man, and he gladly accepts. They shoot the entire movie right up until it's finished. They then call RDJ to ask him to be the voice of J.A.R.V.I.S. Though witty, cocky and comical, Iron Man still has his AI and we all win with minimal changes. :D

So how about that what are your favorite options?

Last edited:
Re: Robert Downey Jr. retiring as Iron Man :(

1 - I beg you, please no more time travel alternate time line stories.

2 - Unless TS invents age/growth acceleration, the rest of the Avengers will be around 20 years older by the time TSJ will be ready to be Iron Man.

Actually, Cap, Hulk, and Thor could all get away with not aging. Cap has the super-soldier serum in him. Hulk we could argue doesn't age because of the gamma radiation in him. And Thor is a god. Black Widow and Hawkeye, though, yeah, they'd age.

So option 3 then? LOL alternate timelines and different teams of avengers is what its all about when it comes to Marvel, I guess I'll have to adapt to a new Tony Stark... as long as it isn't Leonardo Dicaprio, he'll destroy it for me :\

Actually, Cap, Hulk, and Thor could all get away with not aging. Cap has the super-soldier serum in him. Hulk we could argue doesn't age because of the gamma radiation in him. And Thor is a god. Black Widow and Hawkeye, though, yeah, they'd age.

Yeah I agree thats what my initial thought was but technology is always improving and Marvel was known for creating a handful of odd serums that enhanced individuals. It could work.

You got em, Ant-Man, you know they wont cut Iron Man out completely, the nae is too big and he makes marvel and now disney a ton of money.

Doesn't mean they can't make other names big as well. Wasn't there a time when no one wanted to make an X-Men movie unless it revolved heavily around Wolverine? Now look at the success of X-Men: First Class, a film that only features Wolverine in a one scene cameo. These characters can carry their own movies. The fact that Captain America and Thor still can make their own movies is a blessing. I just wish someone gave the.... Oh, you know what I'm going to say.

I don't need to see Robert Downey Jr. in future Iron Man films. They can re-cast or better yet move on to other characters.

Yeah I don't have a problem with them moving onto other characters, I just have the issue of re-casting. More Thor movies, and Captain America and the X-Men is greatly appreciated. When people have gotten use to a certain celebrity playing the part of a superhero and they just re-cast, it's just like... really?? I'd be just content if RDJ's last appearance and Iron Man's as well was in The Avengers 2. I'm really looking forward tp Cap2, Thor 2 and The Wolverine. I never said they couldn't make any other name big as well, I was just implying Iron Man is big atm and the others are starting to gain the same respected popularity as well :)

Wonder Woman isn't a strong enough character to carry a movie*

why_zps4c0fe39e.jpg

For chrissakes, I know we're prone to tangents here, but can we at least take this rather predictable discussion to its own thread if you want to get into the usual back and forth on this? :rolleyes

I just figured with the news of RDJ maybe Marvel could switch the storyline up a bit more, a new Iron Man somehow linked to Tony Stark would be beneficial if the studio wanted to expand further on the Iron Man franchise in the future... can I at least get a discussion on the first two options?

I always thought they'd phase him out of the Marvel franchise (at least for now until enough time has passed to recast) and one possible way would be to have him continue with voice acting. Just have Iron Man show up when the Avengers are called in the suit only (CGI) with RDJ's voice.

Less time involved for RDJ, can probably record his lines in 1-2 days and he's done and free to pursue other films.

I always thought they'd phase him out of the Marvel franchise (at least for now until enough time has passed to recast) and one possible way would be to have him continue with voice acting. Just have Iron Man show up when the Avengers are called in the suit only (CGI) with RDJ's voice.

Less time involved for RDJ, can probably record his lines in 1-2 days and he's done and free to pursue other films.

That is brilliant as well, probably the best option in fact, if they wanted to keep Iron Man around that is. Thanks Rock :)

It's really a sad news, since RDJ is Tony Stark as Christopher Reeve is Superman. He defined him, made him alive.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back