Samuel Rodriguez aka Jetstream Sam COMPLETED.

Re: - New RPF look, New Project! Samuel Rodriguez aka Jetstream Sam WIP

Wow, that looks bad ass! Just the head piece would have taken me like 2 months. How did you make it? I see you wrapped it in either vinyl or worbla, but how did you sculpt the actual piece? Foam?

Thanks bro. Yeah I'm kinda going fast and furious on this since I only get to work on it on short bursts of time. Out of my mon-fri 12-15 hour days, I go to my 8 hour day job, then at night I dedicate about 2-3 hrs to my spidey comissions and whatever is left, I dedicate to this project. Believe it or not, it relaxes me because of the freedoms I can take, opposed to constraints and monotony of honeycombing or dot glueing webs.

As for your question, all of the above kind of...first I sketched it out in foam:

943167_10151375984266114_1415793316_n.jpg

Then I coated the pieces with worbla:

983833_10151378610986114_1801595630_n.jpg

For the rest of the detailing I did use vinyl and some miscellaneous pieces. I'm still tweaking this and I've considered re-doing the whole thing, slightly smaller but now I'm kind of in a rush to finish to wear at Comic Con. I'll move on to the other pieces first and come back to this if I have enough time.

did the shoulder armor over the weekend.

20130602_123317.jpg

20130602_132155.jpg

20130602_150832.jpg

Then I painted and detailed it...

20130602_212035.jpg

And of course I had to my battle damage on it :)

20130602_212047.jpg

20130602_212103.jpg

photo.jpg

Duuuuuuuuuuuude looking good... I hope we will be able to roam AX together! I'm pretty sure I'll be done by then...

Duuuuuuuuuuuude looking good... I hope we will be able to roam AX together! I'm pretty sure I'll be done by then...

Thanks man! What was your fb again? I'm still not sure about finishing in time for AX (maybe). But I guess the biggest "problem" is I put all my money towards SDCC. I was finally able to get badges for that. If I don't make it to AX, will you be at SDCC? We should definitely meet up to take some cool duel pics! Otherwise, I might try to come down and do a "beta" test walkaround outside AX and we could snap some pics there. Not sure if the suit will be 100% done by then but I can at least use the opportunity to figure out any wear bugs. Let me know!

Last edited:

Here's where I post my progress pics and stuff: https://www.facebook.com/andrewscosplay

Nice to hear you got SDCC tix! I'll be there as well this year. I'm thinking I might wear Raiden on Friday. Maybe a little on Saturday as well? Definitely would be cool to meet up. You are a wizard with the way you are making Sam. I would have never thought to make it the way you have and I am in awe.

I might have a friend that might come down to LA just for a Raiden photoshoot during AX (but without buying an AX badge =p) If he does decide to come down and you're interested maybe we can do that shoot together.

Thanks man! What was your fb again? I'm still not sure about finishing in time for AX (maybe). But I guess the biggest "problem" is I put all my con money towards SDCC. I was finally able to get badges for that. If I don't make it to AX, will you be at SDCC? We should definitely meet up to take some cool duel pics! Otherwise, I might try to come down and do a "beta" test walkaround outside AX and we could snap some pics there. Not sure if the suit will be 100% done by then but I can at least use the opportunity to figure out any wear bugs. Let me know!

Here's where I post my progress pics and stuff: https://www.facebook.com/andrewscosplay

Nice to hear you got SDCC tix! I'll be there as well this year. I'm thinking I might wear Raiden on Friday. Maybe a little on Saturday as well? Definitely would be cool to meet up. You are a wizard with the way you are making Sam. I would have never thought to make it the way you have and I am in awe.

I might have a friend that might come down to LA just for a Raiden photoshoot during AX (but without buying an AX badge =p) If he does decide to come down and you're interested maybe we can do that shoot together.

Thanks for the kind words again. Yeah, I'm taking some liberty with it and taking a "movie-like" approach to the suit rather than the game which sometimes tends to exaggerate certain physical features that don't really work in real life. I've had to to make certain modifications to the armor itself because of this. I need to be able to move around and some of the armor design is anatomically incorrect, at least for my arm and shoulder lengths.

If you end up doing that shoot outside AX I'd LOVE to come down and be part of it for sure! What is your friend dressing up as?

Last edited:

Hahahah I know what you mean. My friends and I always say "if you're uncomfortable, then you're cosplaying correctly"

He's not dressing up, he's a cosplay photographer and just wants to come down to take pictures =P
https://www.facebook.com/AzhpPhotography

Ain't that the truth! LOL!

Wow, even better. I'd love to get some cool pro shots done! Let's keep in touch about this. I'll add you on FB tonight.

ill be at sdcc this year for the first time. which cosplay are you planning on wearing? hopefully my USM will be finished by then

Loving this - and this is from someone who really isnt a big fan of costuming in general. Looks great *thumbs up*

ill be at sdcc this year for the first time. which cosplay are you planning on wearing? hopefully my USM will be finished by then

I'm planning on taking this for Saturday. Still on the fence for whether or not I'll suit up as anything on Friday. I want to at least enjoy the floor in my civies one day and I'm only there Fri and Sat.

Loving this - and this is from someone who really isnt a big fan of costuming in general. Looks great *thumbs up*

Thanks Fawbish :) I owe this thread some updates. I've mainly been updating on FB.

Thank you Jono. Big update here:

1011085_10151435491721114_947799863_n.jpg

At this point, I think I can call the suit/armor portion of this project complete. Here's the breakdown:

-10 weeks to make
-100% freehand
-Materials include foam, worbla, fabric, washers, surplus material and some miscellaneous found objects
-Paint detail with airbrush and acrylics

Thanks for following my progress. This beast gets its early sneak peak at AX and floor debut at SDCC 2103. Hope to see you there amigos!

I love how this turned out! I'm curious as to how you tackled certain details... like the disks and indentations in the legs (thighs) and on the shoulders. It's really what makes it truly convincing.
I'm sure you'll get a great reception at SDCC

what i would like to know is how will you attach the backpiece to the back of the suit , and if you are going to make the scabbard for the muramasa

Thanks guys. Here's a little teaser image of it being worn...

photo.jpg

Maverick, the spine/neck pieces are removable so I can get in and out of the suit. I'm not sure if that was your question. Here's a shot (sorry for the blur).

photo.jpg

I will be making the sheath this week...I only have 1 day to work on it before AX though so I'm sure it'll be a little rough by then. I'm planning on really finishing it in time for SDCC.

Thanks!

that looks awesome man , actually my question was regarding what are you using to attach it , magnets , velcro , rivets , etc etc etc
but seriously i wish my suit comes at least as close as yours in awesomebility xD cant wait to see proper photoshoot!!

Oh gotcha. All of the above actually :)

You're doing a Sam? Cool! Can't wait to see it :)

i´m aiming to do it for november , theres a big con here in spain so its worth going the extra mile with the suit , currently i´m still on the drawing board for the armor , and wich suit to make , pre or post- arm augmentation. thats why i´m so curious about the minutia, but your suit truly is inspirational

This is looking incredibly boss! Very well done, man! I'm kind of curious as well, how did you go about attaching the pieces to the rashguard? Some friends and I are wanting to make a similar cosplay and were lost on this.. Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back