A peek at my almost done Bat cowl

Brohawk

Hey Bat-Fans!!! I'v been working on this on and off for to long....
Many do overs.:facepalm

Hope you guys dig where it's at.

8659751174_1a2c88fb7d_z.jpg

Not quite the movie or any one comic style.:confused
just had to feel my way through it.:D

Thanks for taking time to take a peek.

Last edited:
really cool cowl. Very sleek. Like an edgy sonar cowl almost. Are you going to design a neckpiece since it looks like a TDK style head only cowl?

really cool cowl. Very sleek. Like an edgy sonar cowl almost. Are you going to design a neckpiece since it looks like a TDK style head only cowl?

Thanks for the reply dwmcguff and kind words.
This is my first time sculpting and I'm still trying to find my way...
I'm not fully sure how I will resolve the neck area as of yet...
But I will post more as I go on.;)

I always love seeing original Batman cowl designs. He's been around so long and drawn by so many artists the possible iterations are endless. Great sculpture!!!

Thanks...
Much appreciated.
I'm one of the biggest Bat fans around...
so I'm sure understand me trying to dip into the well of
all the great Batman interpretations....
Kane,Sprang,Adams,Timm.....
Too much good stuff to pic from...
I throw a healthy dose of me in the mix.;)

Maybe he means using them as a way of a real-world interpretation of the "white-out" look of the comics and animated version.

May sound silly here but what do you mean mirrored lense? Which Batman had lenses?

If you want to be technical...Yes mirrored "lenses".
Not white eyes.
And if so how did they apply them into the cowl so that it could be worn comfortably?

Lenses are a bitch, you'll need to have them in the sculpt in order to correctly utilize them. You can't just use a
sunglass lens behind the sculpted edge after you make a wearable pull.

So your best bet is to sculpt them into the cowl, then after you mold the cowl, use the sculpted lense as a
buck and vacuform a mirrored lens over it. The its a good bet that they will actually fit into the cowl correctly.
There are ways to make it a perfect fit utilizing a prostetic breakdown technique, but thats more advanced then
you'lll need to start with since your not trying to fit a single actor for film work.

The biggest thing with lenses is making sure that they are gaped enough to allow you to blink, without your lashes
hitting them at all. If you can't do that, you'll be shocked at how much it will bug the crap out of you and your eyes.

I'd suggest studying the techniques used on daredevil as that mask was built with a face mask with lenses in it and
will help you understand whats necessary.

also, just a suggestion, your clay is to close to your eyes for comfort, and thats not if you want lenses, thats if you want to blink properly
when wearing the cowl

theres reasons the movie cowls pull back from the eye so much, its not just for comfort, its also to allow for eye expressions to register on camera as
well as minimizes the amount of peripheral vision you loose when wearing the cowl.

also, just a suggestion, your clay is to close to your eyes for comfort, and thats not if you want lenses, thats if you want to blink properly
when wearing the cowl

theres reasons the movie cowls pull back from the eye so much, its not just for comfort, its also to allow for eye expressions to register on camera as
well as minimizes the amount of peripheral vision you loose when wearing the cowl.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.
I think on my second try I will try and take all your suggestions into what I produce.

Thanks again Bats.:)

When it comes to any full face/head cowl, that's a giant consideration.
So your first try will show you volumes and drive you to improve the second and third version.

By the time you get thru your 5th version you'll have it exactly the way you want, exactly the way it should be, and
everyone else will know why~

If that takes you less than ten years your golden!! Because it took 10 years for the industry to come to that same
understanding, so if you follow their examples you start with a big leg up and it'll keep you from just using sunglass lenses
like they did with the sonar cowl. LOL

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back