Super Low Budget ASTRONAUT Costume

Indy Magnoli

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We've got a costume party coming up and the theme is "When I grow up, I want to be..." so I thought of putting together a super low budget astronaut outfit.

Like a lot of my builds the object is to spend as little money as possible and get a "close enough" end product.

Step 1: find some overalls... I went to the second hand store and bought the cheapest suit they had (something like $8):

diplopp004_zpseb1f7f53.jpg

It was absolutely huge... which turned out to be a great thing once I started filling it out.

Step 2: neck ring... I decided not to do the helmet since I wanted something practical for walking, talking and eating... so the neck ring would have to do. I looked around my garage for anything the right size and found the lid of a paint bucket:

diplopp006_zps6ad53182.jpg

Figuring out how to attach it to the suit proved problematic... until Blaxmyth provided a brilliant, simple fix... use the rest of the bucket! So I cut it to match my shoulders, and split it down the front middle so I can get in and out of the jumpsuit:

021_zps7d928904.jpg

The next step was to cut the collar off the overalls, then sew a new hem for the oversided collar. I used chicago screws to attach the overalls to the under-neck piece:

022_zps1d3a41f4.jpg

I added a blue rubber piece (taken from an old tupperware lunchbox) to the lid piece, some sheet metal to the inside and a greeblie to make it look a bit more "spacey":

005_zpsc362950f.jpg

More to come....

-Magnoli

Sorting through greeblies...

diplopp005_zps60eb7e55.jpg

Next step was padding up the arms. I cut strips of foam I had sitting in the garage, measured out based on the width of the sleeve at different points:

023_zpsee78e4ea.jpg

I stitched a couple of lines of dark blue thread around the middle of the arms to give them a little more detail. I then hot glued the foam into the arms then added some metal and rubber (from an old garbage disposal unit) to the end of the sleeve:

025_zps266ce9e1.jpg

024_zps4cff63ca.jpg

More work on this...

A friend of mine gave me some heavy duty black rubber chemical gloves. So I turned them inside out and used them as a "lining" to a pair of prototype Hoth gloves we made a while back (that I've been since using for my heat-gun work):

001_zpsf6c5504c.jpg

More greeblies:

004_zps6c2524fe.jpg

Laying out the greeblies and patches:

0052_zps7b7d32ce.jpg

In the above photo you can see the following:

Patches from The Last Starfighter, Planet of the Apes & Star Trek
Four greeblies functioning as various hose attachments for the front of the suit
Steel hose (cleaned up and spray painted silver)... inspired by the "pee tube" on the Ghostbusters jumpsuits (which is, of course inspired by real flight & space suits)
Co2 cartridges and greeblies... inspired by Boba Fett's tool pouches
The collar cut off the original overalls converted into a "crotch flap"... this will help bring the low rise up and add some more detail
Three rubber gear belts from various printers to add some detailing to the otherwise boring legs

More to come...

Looking good! Did you get that aluminium tape from Nick K? That'd be cool to add some bling to the white plastic neck ring.

No didn't get the tape... still got a few days. ;)

I'm not wearing any headgear as this will be worn to a party so need my head free for eating and drinking!

Managed to find someone to loan me some white gumboots:

DSCF0001-1_zpsf1f0b70d.jpg

Chest greeblies added as well as Fett-inspired greeblie pockets:

DSCF0002-4_zpsba3e37d1.jpg

Hose and crotch-flap attached:

DSCF0003-2_zpsbc353a55.jpg

And patches!!

DSCF00093_zpscab35697.jpg

DSCF00083_zps711bc9e8.jpg

DSCF00073_zps84549000.jpg

DSCF00063_zpse167aab2.jpg

I'm not going to actually wear the gloves, but have them tied together (using an old white leather "child leash") and hooked onto a D-ring I sewed to the waist of the suit:

DSCF00052_zps1d0c5ae9.jpg

Kind regards,
Magnoli

You sir, are my new hero! I have a orange suit that's similar but very boring, I plan on dressing it up much the same as yours. The neckpiece alone is a thing of beauty, LOL.

Nicely done and looking forward to more pics!

Finished outfit:

Rocket-Man_zpsb853cefa.jpg

My number one comment (besides "great costume", etc) was "Where's your helmet?"... to which I responded "Why would I need a helmet? This is an oxygen atmosphere."

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back