Clay sulfur content

cunningham

Hello!
I am making a sculpt that I intend to mold with a platinum silicone. I am aware that sulfur and silicone is a bad combo, but how do I know if my clay has a sulfur content to it? I assume it is in traces small enough that you couldn't smell it, and the label doesn't indicate anything, so I am a little concerned. Thanks in advance.

Buy modelling clay from a reputable art supplier's for one, use plasticine for two , let the clay dry and use a good mold release compound , if all else fails - take a small sample of clay and test mold using the silicon, you ll soon know if there is a problem .

I've used only one kind of sulfur clay in the past and something I noticed when using an alcohol torch was that the sulfur would bead up into tiny little green balls. You might try that on a scrap piece of clay. If you're still not sure just seal the sculpture with krylon crystal clear. A few coats will cover you for molding.

Unfortunately, the clay came in a plastic wrapping with a label that says only this "This is an excellent clay for pottery and is also ideal for modeling. Oven baking." I will just test it after giving it a good spray coat of clear lacquer.

- - - Updated - - -

I've used only one kind of sulfur clay in the past and something I noticed when using an alcohol torch was that the sulfur would bead up into tiny little green balls. You might try that on a scrap piece of clay. If you're still not sure just seal the sculpture with krylon crystal clear. A few coats will cover you for molding.

That is interesting, I happen to have one and I will give it a try. That seems like a sure way to tell. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

That is interesting, I happen to have one and I will give it a try. That seems like a sure way to tell. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back