The Exorcist nightdress?

Howlrunner

Sr Member
I have a great 1:1 bust of Regan on the way to me and would like to get some pretty accurate clothes for her. I know it's a long shot, but anyone know what kind of nightdress was used in the movie, or something very very similar?

Either this style:

exorcist-1.jpg

1.160452.jpg

tumblr_lzqqyvyM3D1qb9nsso1_r2_500.gif

Or this style (is this a prototype? Was this dress actually in the movie?):

the-exorcist--large-msg-115263114357.jpg

It looks like she is wearing a robe over a nightdress. The robe is a button front with a Peter Pan collar. Ruffled lace is inserted into the collar seam and outlining the front opening facings. Simple flat pearlized buttons. And looks like it may have 3/4 sleeves. All of this is fairly standard in robes.

What makes is unusual is the robe has a sort of empire waist going on - the top of the robe is a flat yoke with the body of the robe gathered onto the yoke just under the bust.

ETA: The second one on the live person looks like a standard wrapped robe that the wardrobe department may have put on her to protect the set from stage blood/vomit and to keep her a warm.

Thanks. I've not found anything similar as far as nightdresses go, so I'll try searching through robes next.

Found a couple more decent pics. First one shows some more detail:

the-exorcist-413.jpg

And this one, I think, shows the second style of nightdress (robe?) that can be seen on the dummy in my first post:

the-exorcist-431.jpg

I just went over to ebay and did a search for "vintage flannel nightgown pattern". There were several decent results for similar looking nightgowns, all from the correct era. I would start with one of these and alter from there. Also try "70s flannel nightgown pattern" , "70s nightgown pattern" and "vintage nightgown pattern". All yielded good results!

On second look, this material doesn't actually look like a real cotton flannel. It looks more like a faux flannel, a cheap polyester fabric with a poly knit inside and a flannel flocking on the outside. I'm pretty sure fabric stores don't even sell stuff like that. You might want to hit your local thrift stores to see if you can get a real vintage flannel nightgown set. Are you wanting to get this spot on or just something close that looks like it might work for the era?

Try a search on ebay for Lanz of Salzburg blue flannel nightgown. Some are close-ish. There is also a solid blue flannel nightgown that is really close, search for elieen west blue flannel long nightgown. A couple of those nightgowns wouldn't need much alteration to get a very close look.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back