pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed.

As far as I know, Philip W. aka Rebelscum was planning to draw the lamps/ covers and make them available in the distant future.

I just proceeded without that part(s) and already cut my backplate to attach the slideviewers to.
Seems that the prop dept. cut the "lips" off the rear housing of the tridents so that there are sitting flush against the mounting plate, what do you think?

Any idea if the metal greeblies between the tridents are found objects or machined parts? Measured these to be around 26mm O.D.

One more question reg. the color of the slide-viewers....the original ones have a two-tone plastic housing while the ones on the detention block camera are single-colored. Do you think they just painted the WHOLE assembly in that "tie-fighter" blue?

Markus

Hi M,

The prop team did ALOT of butchering during production. If the viewers lay flat on the backplate - I would assume they cut the backs off to lay flat. The metal grebblies do look like a off the shelf piece but I have NO Idea what it could be. They're definately the same piece... But again... that doesn't mean they weren't fabricated / bashed.

Since you're going to cut the backs off to lay flat, I would go ahead and paint the viewers to match. But they did leave the area around the lens white - so they may not have painted them... I'm sure I've been a HUGE help! LOL

I would just dive in and make it happen. :)

Paterson did produce all blue versions, but I think they were just using up parts left over from another model. I have two of them, but even these are different shades of Blue. I think it would just be easier to paint them rather wait years to get six the same colour. I sent one of the lights to Phil to look at. When he sent it back he said he was working on it, I haven't heard anything since.
jb1h.jpg

I say move forward and paint. :) I would love to handle one of those lights! I hope he's been able to come up with something.

That pic looks awesome! :)

I think the Aerials at the front would be easy enough to get made and I expect the Original prop guys just glued them in place.

I'm guessing the piece(s) are machined - but the base clearly has a small hole and the two objects protruding are in the exact same place - but neither is positioned on the camera the same.

I´ll see what I can come up with.
Tried to find a suitable color, but that blue is hard to nail :(
Seems like I probably have to mix it my own (also have the problem with differently colored trident viewers)

Markus

BTW...just realized that we´d need FOUR of those lamps per camera setup :(

Any source for those red stickers?

Markus

The red stickers are pretty easy. I think Avery sells round white stickers in various sizes that you run through a printer making it so you have have any color or design.

1" - Templates - Round Labels. 63 per sheet | Avery 4294965751&refchannel=17aa3ae5c1b72210VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

I still can't believe how difficult it is to find these bezel lights...

If I have time in a couple of months I may tackle the lights. What colors would we need, red, yellow, green and blue?

Are you refering to making the molds? If so, the MF cockpit has Red, White and Blue. And of course, yellow and red throughout the quad stations... Check out the blue one on the back of the center console
http://www.therpf.com/f9/1-1-millennium-falcon-console-replica-147319/index65.html#post2608344

The primary colors: Red, Blue, White, Yellow (although I'm not sure if the yellow and the white are the same)

PLEASE let me know if there is anyway I can help! :D

I think I will get the lens and bezel machined, then make one mold and cast ten in resin. I would use these ten to make a mold so I could pour ten at once so the colour tint will be the same. The Bezels could be vacuum metalized.

I molded the best lens today and it came out pretty nice. I only had normal resin but will order some clear and try it. I am thinking about getting a new lens and bezel CNC'd so I can cast them in two parts but this will be costly and I don't know if there is enough demand to warrant the expense.
si7e.jpg

The cheaper option is to cast it as is like these. I only had flat aluminium paint to hand to paint the Bezel but I'll try chrome paint. I quickly made a plate with a piece of tube on it so that it can be glued in the lens. The tube is there to go through a hole made in the panel and to mount the actual light in. These are very ruff at the moment, I just wanted to try it out.
h9xb.jpg

h1zx.jpg

j8cf.jpg

Very cool trial run, they remind me of the older ones used in DrWho (William Hartnell to Patrick Throughton) which were opaque and coloured. How does the size work out when placed on the viewers? Are they approx the right size?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back