pics of Death Star Detention block Camera needed.

andy19422

Sr Member
I have just started planning and collecting pieces to make the Death Star Detention block Security Camera and need some good pics and info on it. So far I have got three of the correct slide viewers and a pair of the correct light lenses. There looks to be four lights mounted on the viewers so I will have to mold the ones I have as these are so hard to find. I guess the original cameras were never sold as they were destroyed in the movie but are there any other pics of them other than screen caps.
sam2249o.jpg

sam2251.jpg

lights1k.jpg

swnh3479.jpg

Last edited:
These ones?
sam2250p.jpg

:D
I spent a couple of weeks trying to track them down with no luck, I even joined an Electricians forum still no joy. Then I found a company that had an old Wild Barfield Furnace for sale. I offered them £25 for the lenses which they accepted, they arrived today still mounted in the panel box.
23729ba1.jpg

Those are the same panel lights used throughout the Millennium Falcon and on misc Death Star panels. Did the company know if these were still available?

The company I got the lights from don't have spares, they were just going to put in modern lights. I spoke to the company that brought out Wild Barfield but they were no use at all :thumbsdown The lights are 1 3/4 across and just over 1/2" high. I am thinking of casting these if anyone is interested.

It looks like the light is made up from four pieces. A ring that fits inside the panel that takes the tabs that are folded over to keep the lens in place. The plastic lens then an Aluminium ring with tabs then the bezel is placed over the lens then crimped over the Aluminium ring to keep it in place. I will have to cut the crimp off to get it apart for molding.
sam2252r.jpg

sam2253q.jpg

Hi Andy,

Starkiller did a FANTASTIC 3D model of the light and we had several 3D printed for my 1:1 scale MF cockpit - they turned out great! But you actually have originals... How many molds would you be willing to make? Would you be willing to make clear colored molds as well? Maybe?????? :)

3D prints
20130404_162544_zpsc69958ad.jpg

20130404_194619_zps43049d42.jpg

Thats wonderful! Please let me know if there is anything I can do! :)

You can create a mold with 3-4 holes that will allow you slip pieces of aluminum in place that can fold over and keep the bezel in place?

This is an awesome find!

It's also really good timing as I'm in the middle of doing machining drawings to make the lights.

I had it at 1.75" diameter and had the 8 steps inside the bezel.

I might put this on hold though.

panellight.jpg

Andy... I'll be more than happy to help with material if you're seriously considering making molds! :) Just let me know...

Great find! Very awesome to see the actual type of lights up close and disassembled. :thumbsup

Where did you find the all-blue slide viewers?? All I've seen around are the two toned ones.

Would you be willing to send one of those lights to someone here on the RPF to have them measured and accurately replicated?

Edit: Also, this is the clearest screencap I've seen around showing one of the detention cameras.
ANH1080p.png

-Carson

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back