Oblivion - Jack's pistol

Wow Joe! your my hero. wish I could do that stuff. stupid question if I may. why would splitting the handle make it less screen accurate. the parts are getting glued back together.but with both pieces painted different colors right . just not understanding were the inaccuracy would come from.

just not understanding were the inaccuracy would come from.

This is a forum where we spend countless hours debating the exact placement of paint runs on Stormtrooper buckets. But certainly, the difference in the final model would be very small. If the parts are painted separately and glued together, there will be a hairline crack where they meet. Of course, they can be glued and then painted to make that crack go away if you're real picky on the accuracy. I just figured I'd point it out, haha. Parts still have to be tested for molding suitability.

Designing stuff to move... ;)

triggerassy2.jpg

It will be a little longer between updates now. Gotta hunker down and finish this...

Oh sure. Corner me with that question. LOL.
If the recent concept image is enough reference material to create a working model and that's what someone sold I'd be happy.
I can't take a set of calipers to screen caps to verify exact proportions.
Look at how many variations of the Blade Runner gun have been made. Most of them have minute details that differentiate them but they're all fantastic replicas given the limited amount of source material.

Not trying to rush anyone (not that I have enough influence to do this anyway) but if you made one from that concept image I seriously doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. ;)

In short... I think this pistol is so awesome I can't wait to lay hands on it.

I would agree that often times "close enough " is sufficient since there are frequently variations in the "duplicate props" used on screen. Now, with digital creations of the same practical prop it is even worse. Movies aren't perfect creations, in Ironman 1 the mark I suit is partially done digitally on screen and the digital creation was done from concept art and a macquette . It doesn't totally match the screen hero suit. One scene with Ironman torching the bad guys has a negative reversal so everything is mirror imaged on the suit. It's all pretend. Unless you have a casting from screen used, you can't even be sure that the exact size is right.:unsure

I would agree that often times "close enough " is sufficient

With this prop, short of having access to the actual 3d model file, we're only going to get "close enough". Even the Bluray will not be enough to get it exact. Some details will be off by a mm or so here and there but I doubt anyone will see any difference.

With this prop, short of having access to the actual 3d model file, we're only going to get "close enough". Even the Bluray will not be enough to get it exact. Some details will be off by a mm or so here and there but I doubt anyone will see any difference.

You are absolutely correct. I have had fans complement me on the "spot on" look of a prop when I know it is only correct to the non-discerning eye. I can detail the inaccuracies but no one else will know unless I blab. It takes a blatant goof or a very practiced eye to spot the small stuff.;) Looks like you never take a break after just coming off the Lawgiver build. Good luck with this....if Morgan thirteen is helping again, I'd say you have few worries. The guy is a casting magician.:thumbsup

And what about it? Maybe what?

I'm guessing it was an attempt to suggest a base pistol, even though it's been established several times (by the original propmakers no less) that it was completely fabricated from scratch using 3d printing. The effort to help is certainly appreciated but, unnecessary in this case.

On that note... I am hoping to have some major news on my kit build in about a week! (Not trying to be coy or mysterious- I just have to wait a bit for something and I don't wanna jinx it!) It's about 99% complete and almost ready for the next step.

Bump for update! Is there an interest thread yet guys?

Been up for weeks! ;)
http://www.therpf.com/f13/oblivion-pistol-kit-186424/

Nothing to report yet on my end though. 3D model is done(ish)... waiting on some prototype tests to proceed. As soon as I have something worth showing I promise to post it right away. (Note: we're still a month or two away from anything going into silicone though... Shawn is busy with another run and the model needs testing.)

Joe, not sure if you have the gun seizing already, but with Mal's rifle build based on the actual base rifle used, it might be worth scaling the gun based on the rifle size (as there are shots if them side by side on wall)

Joe, not sure if you have the gun seizing already, but with Mal's rifle build based on the actual base rifle used, it might be worth scaling the gun based on the rifle size (as there are shots if them side by side on wall)

No need for that. I have pretty darn accurate sizing info. ;)

Oh, and I'll have some photos of the first parts soon- I have them in-hand and they turned out fantastic. However, I'll have to post them in the JY thread because I don't want them getting caught in Google's search cache. (I hope that's ok with everyone.)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back