Men in Black II - Frank the Pug Costume

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Picked this piece up for Star Wars Chick over the weekend at the Black Sparrow Auction held by Fong Sam. As we own a pug (she won't fit into the costume unfortunately), this has been one we have been watching for. This costume was not used in the movie, but is seen prominently in all of the promotional shots and movie posters.

View attachment 156253

Congrats Art...too cool! We have been looking for one of these forever as well. Good find.

Thanks! From what I am told (but have not been able to verify), there were only two made, this one and the one we see on screen. The differences between ours, seen in the publicity shots, and the final costume are buttons and cuffs added to the sleeves. Other than that, from what I can see, they are identical. I don't know where the other is, but I wish you luck in finding and acquiring it!

I don't know where the other is, but I wish you luck in finding and acquiring it!

Screenused.com has the screen used one and the I Love Ny hoodie in their private collection.

Otherwise great snag! Probably the coolest thing at that auction. I think the MIB guns didn't sell as they were a little high priced for just being background guns. We'll see as they're still up on the site for sale.

Last edited:
Screenused.com has the screen used one and the I Love Ny hoodie in their private collection.

Otherwise great snag! Probably the coolest thing at that auction. I think the MIB guns didn't sell as they were a little high priced for just being background guns. We'll see as they're still up on the site for sale.

Ah, thanks for that! Now I see that the screen used jacket also has buttons down the front, where ours has a clasp and velcro.

I was confused about the guns because, based on the description, it sounded like they were never in the movie at all and possibly not even production made. The descriptions weren't as clear as they could have been on those pieces.

I was confused about the guns because, based on the description, it sounded like they were never in the movie at all and possibly not even production made. The descriptions weren't as clear as they could have been on those pieces.

Yeah, I think the pug suit and the guns were split from this package
mib_set_1.jpg
scroll down on the page to read about it

This uniquely crafted tiny suit was custom made for Frank the Pug and is one of only about two made for filming, however it is missing the buttons at the cuffs. The suit features a Velcro and snap closure along the belly.
Sounds like your pug suit, and then it describes the guns:

Made of a heavy rubber these rifles were used for stunt work on the film and show signs of use with minor wear and scuff marks. The single barrel rifle measures about 39" long and the tri-barrel rifle measures about 31" long.
I would have to go back and look at the guns to see if they were the same, but maybe they have the stunt guns instead of being background. If some really cared, I guess they could go screen match best they can from the pics :D

Last edited:
That is our pug suit for sure, so you are probably right on the guns. I didn't even realize the pug suit was up for auction until late Sat afternoon, only a few hours before the auction, so I had to do a crazy fast verification of what it was before bidding. The little suit has certainly gotten around. From what I understand, it was bought from Screen Used by a collector, then resold through Prop Store to Paul Wintner, who donated it to the Black Sparrow auction.

actually Paul offered me that and then it went to another guy, who very kindly put it in Blacksparrow.

I was just put off since the lack of buttons made it seem unused. Obviously screenused has the used one.

The two suits, and guns, or identical to them ended up in Lot Detail - Tommy Lee Jones & Will Smith ''Men in Black II'' Archive -- Their Screen-Worn Suits & Massive Stunt Weapons and these went for $26,000

I think you got a good deal. Sadly too small though you say.

So Art, the Scifi museum and me all have pugs?!?!?!?!

"its a small world after all".........(c) Disney

Maybe I misunderstood Paul as I thought he said he put it into the auction.

I definitely think we got a deal on this piece, screen used or not. Kristen is thrilled because you see it in all the posters, and as long as she is happy I'm not complaining. :)

actually Paul offered me that and then it went to another guy, who very kindly put it in Blacksparrow.

I was just put off since the lack of buttons made it seem unused. Obviously screenused has the used one.

The two suits, and guns, or identical to them ended up in Lot Detail - Tommy Lee Jones & Will Smith ''Men in Black II'' Archive -- Their Screen-Worn Suits & Massive Stunt Weapons and these went for $26,000

I think you got a good deal. Sadly too small though you say.

So Art, the Scifi museum and me all have pugs?!?!?!?!

"its a small world after all".........(c) Disney

I used to be the first owner of the suit. I bought it years ago directly from Reel Clothes who sold most of the production costumes from MIB. Does the piece still come with any COA or were they thrown away at some point?

I saw that auction.....glad ya got it.

I'm looking to get some nonSciFi stuff this weekend.....gotta love the Internet

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back